The Dragon Wagon 2022

LarryGee77

This is a serious question for Clinton fans that go back 30 years. In 1992, you all came out of nowhere and had that great team that went to the finals. The next year, you were one of the worst teams that we (Cleveland) played. If memory serves it was 44-6 at halftime, and the game was at your place. We finished with ‘only’ 56, because Coach Monroe was in a good mood that night. To my knowledge, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, y’all haven’t made a serious playoff run since then. How did all of that play out? I had never heard of Clinton prior to ‘92, and all of a sudden you were ranked #1 in the state early on that season. And then, it was back to the pack. 

5 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

This is a serious question for Clinton fans that go back 30 years. In 1992, you all came out of nowhere and had that great team that went to the finals. The next year, you were one of the worst teams that we (Cleveland) played. If memory serves it was 44-6 at halftime, and the game was at your place. We finished with ‘only’ 56, because Coach Monroe was in a good mood that night. To my knowledge, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, y’all haven’t made a serious playoff run since then. How did all of that play out? I had never heard of Clinton prior to ‘92, and all of a sudden you were ranked #1 in the state early on that season. And then, it was back to the pack. 

Two words - Scotty Whitt. He carried that Clinton team on his back in 1992. Did everything he could to single-handedly beat Gallatin in the title game, but came up just short. He's one of the greatest running backs I can remember in the history of east TN HS football. Sadly, his life spiraled out of control not long after his senior season.

Their 2009 team was really good too, which was led by Darian Stone and Weston Hazelhurst. That team was good enough to win it all, had it not been for Anderson County upsetting them early in the playoffs. They had some good teams in the late 90s (not the level of 92 or 09), but what's interesting is that they haven't had much success at all since they were bumped down in classification back in 1999. Outside of 2009, they've only had a two winning seasons since 99. What really hurts them is an Anderson County program that is consistently winning these days. You just don't see both Clinton and AC competing at a high level at the same time very often.

• Thanks 1

I've watched Clinton for decades, to include the awesome teams they have had a few times.  I always enjoy the rivalry games except when tempers flare.  I have seen Clinton kids heading to Anderson County and Grace in Karns and a few other schools occasionally.  With facilities, money and community support I'm just not sure why they haven't been more successful.

13 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

92 was a great Clinton team, I watched most of their playoff games including a win over rising power Riverdale there at Ron Brown Stadium. When they got to the finals, it seemed they went away from Scotty Whitt until late in the game and let Gallatin control the ball and the clock to win, 

Riverdale won 26-14 at Cleveland the week prior. We couldn’t stop their QB. What’s funny is that everybody kinda assumed that that was the last you’d hear of Riverdale. Turns out they were just getting started. 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, LarryGee77 said:

Let’s discuss Region 3-5A and where the Clinton Dragons fit in the mix next season.  They went 6-4 I believe and should be better.  I’m told Clintonions truly believe in Coach KEITH.  Thoughts?

His plan is working.Play the worst teams you can and get some wins and trick people into thinking you are a good coach.Ive never been around him to know how he coaches but he sure has said some dumb things.I think they will be about the same next yr if they can find some skill guys.They lose the 2 Oak Ridge guys who was the best WR and CB they had.They lose the heart of the team which was the LB.QB should only get better with all the PT.Not a threat to win region or make a deep playoff run.

• Upvote 1