The Dragon Wagon 2022

LarryGee77

I talked to a man that seems to know a few things.  He said Keith is a lot like Gaddis.  He lets his coaches coach and overrules when he needs to.  Players seem to like him because he’s no nonsense with them.  He tells it like it is and doesn’t use “coach speak”.  When I was in school back in the 70s CLINTON was known for having tough hard nosed teams.  They had winning seasons I believe but of the three schools in that county only OR has won any titles and the last one was in 1991. Yes they played for a couple more but 1991 was a long time ago! If I’m Oak Ridge I think I would be a little more humble.  AC has never went to a final.  So you can hang your hat on 12 wins here and 11 wins there if you like but at least CLINTON DOES HAVE A SILVER BALL!  Just my two cents.  I know it doesn’t mean anything but hey it’s an open forum right!?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LarryGee77 said:

I talked to a man that seems to know a few things.  He said Keith is a lot like Gaddis.  He lets his coaches coach and overrules when he needs to.  Players seem to like him because he’s no nonsense with them.  He tells it like it is and doesn’t use “coach speak”.  When I was in school back in the 70s CLINTON was known for having tough hard nosed teams.  They had winning seasons I believe but of the three schools in that county only OR has won any titles and the last one was in 1991. Yes they played for a couple more but 1991 was a long time ago! If I’m Oak Ridge I think I would be a little more humble.  AC has never went to a final.  So you can hang your hat on 12 wins here and 11 wins there if you like but at least CLINTON DOES HAVE A SILVER BALL!  Just my two cents.  I know it doesn’t mean anything but hey it’s an open forum right!?

Up until Gaylor left, Clinton was pretty much always pretty tough, I thought. Since he left, they’ve had a few really good teams (under Andy Shattuck), but since then they’ve suffered quite a bit. You’re right though, we (OR) haven’t won anything in going over 30 years now, but like you said, we’ve had some really good teams in between. Unfortunately a a few of those years when we were really good, the juggernaut that used to be Riverdale stood in the way. If not for them, we may have had a few more titles, but it is what it is! 

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Up until Gaylor left, Clinton was pretty much always pretty tough, I thought. Since he left, they’ve had a few really good teams (under Andy Shattuck), but since then they’ve suffered quite a bit. You’re right though, we (OR) haven’t won anything in going over 30 years now, but like you said, we’ve had some really good teams in between. Unfortunately a a few of those years when we were really good, the juggernaut that used to be Riverdale stood in the way. If not for them, we may have had a few more titles, but it is what it is! 

And Maryville when we was playing up and the private school more recently

5 hours ago, LarryGee77 said:

Im no AC fan but they have been on a different level than Clinton for a long time.They have beat Clinton so bad the coach you speak highly of took them off the schedule because he said they was tired of getting beat.He wouldve done the same with Oak Ridge if he could.AC has no doubt struggled to get over that next hurdle but it dont mean they havent had some really good teams.Oak Ridge and AC are a top 5 or 10 school in their class almost every yr.

14 hours ago, LarryGee77 said:

I think, if I'm not mistaken,  OR has played Clinton 59 times, leading the series 47 wins to 12, and 4 of those 12 Clinton victories were in '43 and '44 when OR played at Clinton twice in each of its first two seasons of football.  I would say the "rivalry" has been a bit one sided.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

All this talk about overall records and games that were played 60+ years ago has absolutely nothing to do with this current Clinton team.  

This is true, what about the last 2 years, do you also think the better team didn't win? 58-7 ?  It is more fun when Clinton is any good, but we have yet to see that out of the current Clinton team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

All this talk about overall records and games that were played 60+ years ago has absolutely nothing to do with this current Clinton team.  

I thought the Clinton team had a good season, Much improved. I think next year they have some holes to fill in the skill positions on offense and defense (they lost the two OR transfers there) and a reall good linebacker in Connor Moody. But they have a much better team attitude and know how to win now.

19 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I thought the Clinton team had a good season, Much improved. I think next year they have some holes to fill in the skill positions on offense and defense (they lost the two OR transfers there) and a reall good linebacker in Connor Moody. But they have a much better team attitude and know how to win now.

Yeah, the cupcake scheduling strategy worked nicely for them.  They need a "signature win" to claim legitimate improvement in my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Yeah, the cupcake scheduling strategy worked nicely for them.  They need a "signature win" to claim legitimate improvement in my opinion.  

They should resume their games with AC in 2023. Too good a money (gate) game and natural rivalry, and they need to learn how to beat AC, that would be a signature win for them.

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

They should resume their games with AC in 2023. Too good a money (gate) game and natural rivalry, and they need to learn how to beat AC, that would be a signature win for them.

There’s just zero reason OR/Clinton/AC shouldn’t all be playing one another, just zero. But here we are driving 2 hours to Greeneville to get goat roped. Plum ridiculous.

Edited by SweetScience