Maryville 2022

REBELRON

On 6/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, strongx said:

I think I heard the same. Maybe somebody connected to the program can chime in.

I sure would like to see it myself. For over 25 years straight Maryville has always came up with a good QB but a lot of fans have had a lot of sleepless nights this year thinking one is to little, one is to inexperienced and another is Guarantano II. There have been a few seasons like this before in those 25 years and everything worked out just fine. A 7 on 7 or two and it will be apparent in my opinion who can cut the mustard and who can't. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, olhickory said:

Can anyone confirm a 7v7 at Maryville next week with Anderson County?   Word around the water cooler is that the Mavs are headed over to get some work in with the Red Rebels.  Mavs have gotten work at Alcoa in recent years, but I hear this year, they are headed to Downtown Maryville.  If anyone hears the date and time, please add it on, so we can make the trip out to Mary-Vegas.

Yes, 7v7 Tuesday night around 6 I think.

9 hours ago, strongx said:

Yes, 7v7 Tuesday night around 6 I think.

Anyone know exactly what time for sure? When I hear around 6 I think, it reminds me of a roofing crew which means you better go two hours early and don't get mad if they don't show up. Biggest thing I want to see is if someone really can't hit the side of a barn or not tonight.

That was an entertaining 2 hours.  Maryville looked good again, and Anderson County looked good as well.    Both teams hit targets down the field for big gains, and both teams found underneath routes they liked as well.   I know they didn't keep score, as it is just two teams getting some practice reps in, but it was very entertaining watching both team have players that made some really nice catches.  Martinez looked ready to go and had plenty of targets.    It is always good to get over to Blount County and see all the new restaurants and businesses they  have.  Good Luck to the Rebels this season

1 hour ago, olhickory said:

That was an entertaining 2 hours.  Maryville looked good again, and Anderson County looked good as well.    Both teams hit targets down the field for big gains, and both teams found underneath routes they liked as well.   I know they didn't keep score, as it is just two teams getting some practice reps in, but it was very entertaining watching both team have players that made some really nice catches.  Martinez looked ready to go and had plenty of targets.    It is always good to get over to Blount County and see all the new restaurants and businesses they  have.  Good Luck to the Rebels this season

I'm not sure who the receiver Maryville had that burned it down the field for a couple of touchdown passes but it was sure good to know they have someone because that was a big question mark along with qb going into this season. It's hard to tell who anyone is plus most of the people I know that do know wasn't there. The biggest thing that bothered me was the 5 and a half interceptions. I quickly looked for the schedule when I got home to see who we won't get away with that on.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:25 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm not sure who the receiver Maryville had that burned it down the field for a couple of touchdown passes but it was sure good to know they have someone because that was a big question mark along with qb going into this season. It's hard to tell who anyone is plus most of the people I know that do know wasn't there. The biggest thing that bothered me was the 5 and a half interceptions. I quickly looked for the schedule when I got home to see who we won't get away with that on.

Mavericks Code Blue 7v7 team went over and won the University of Tennessee 7v7 tourney today.  I heard Powell Catholic, Farragut,  Bearden, and a ton of out of state teams were there.   I know it is 7v7, but you still have to compete, and the Mavericks seem to be on to something.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:59 PM, olhickory said:

Mavericks Code Blue 7v7 team went over and won the University of Tennessee 7v7 tourney today.  I heard Powell Catholic, Farragut,  Bearden, and a ton of out of state teams were there.   I know it is 7v7, but you still have to compete, and the Mavericks seem to be on to something.  

Congrats, maybe that's why I saw such a big difference in the two teams. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is there to play and who is only going through the motions. Like a former coach, Sam Anderson for Austin-East said back in the mid 80's in the Knoxville Newspaper while we were working our tails off this summer those Maryville boy's were all out laying around the pools and lakes and you could tell it.

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Congrats, maybe that's why I saw such a big difference in the two teams. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is there to play and who is only going through the motions. Like a former coach, Sam Anderson for Austin-East said back in the mid 80's in the Knoxville Newspaper while we were working our tails off this summer those Maryville boy's were all out laying around the pools and lakes and you could tell it.

Lol.......goodness what a take. 

4 hours ago, MLREB said:

Lol.......goodness what a take. 

I guess to be fair and honest I was one of those pool kids growing up. I was the one who provided everyone at the pool their entertainment if you remember correctly. I went straight from the pool across town to football practice with only a minute to spare and across town and back in the pool right after. Back in our day we would only be 2 weeks into the summer vacation right now , not on a football field when it's 90 plus starting next week. Back then the first game was Aug. 30 or Sept.1 with a jamboree the week before and 2 weeks of practice before that and 2 in the spring. Back then it was a commitment of 15 weeks of your life maybe an extra week or two for us for a playoff game or two. Now days your committing to 40 weeks counting a longer season, playoffs, spring and weight strength time which we really didn't do back then in all fairness. If you messed with weights in those day's it was at home with that setup mom and dad got you for Christmas one year from J.C. Penny. Back then there was only a third of the kids that are in high school now but three times as many played football then as they do this day and time. That 40 weeks is a lot of time to take out of a kids life growing up than the 15 back then and I can see why there isn't as many today playing as then.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I guess to be fair and honest I was one of those pool kids growing up. I was the one who provided everyone at the pool their entertainment if you remember correctly. I went straight from the pool across town to football practice with only a minute to spare and across town and back in the pool right after. Back in our day we would only be 2 weeks into the summer vacation right now , not on a football field when it's 90 plus starting next week. Back then the first game was Aug. 30 or Sept.1 with a jamboree the week before and 2 weeks of practice before that and 2 in the spring. Back then it was a commitment of 15 weeks of your life maybe an extra week or two for us for a playoff game or two. Now days your committing to 40 weeks counting a longer season, playoffs, spring and weight strength time which we really didn't do back then in all fairness. If you messed with weights in those day's it was at home with that setup mom and dad got you for Christmas one year from J.C. Penny. Back then there was only a third of the kids that are in high school now but three times as many played football then as they do this day and time. That 40 weeks is a lot of time to take out of a kids life growing up than the 15 back then and I can see why there isn't as many today playing as then.

Great post!

14 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Back then the first game was Aug. 30 or Sept.1 with a jamboree the week before and 2 weeks of practice before that and 2 in the spring. Back then it was a commitment of 15 weeks of your life maybe an extra week or two for us for a playoff game or two. Now days your committing to 40 weeks counting a longer season, playoffs, spring and weight strength time which we really didn't do back then in all fairness. If you messed with weights in those day's it was at home with that setup mom and dad got you for Christmas one year from J.C. Penny. Back then there was only a third of the kids that are in high school now but three times as many played football then as they do this day and time. That 40 weeks is a lot of time to take out of a kids life growing up than the 15 back then and I can see why there isn't as many today playing as then.

That might explain some other things as well.

Barn casting a hook right in front of this largemouth. I’m not biting …yet. I will just stay on the bed for now.