Maryville 2022

REBELRON

On 6/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I guess to be fair and honest I was one of those pool kids growing up. I was the one who provided everyone at the pool their entertainment if you remember correctly. I went straight from the pool across town to football practice with only a minute to spare and across town and back in the pool right after. Back in our day we would only be 2 weeks into the summer vacation right now , not on a football field when it's 90 plus starting next week. Back then the first game was Aug. 30 or Sept.1 with a jamboree the week before and 2 weeks of practice before that and 2 in the spring. Back then it was a commitment of 15 weeks of your life maybe an extra week or two for us for a playoff game or two. Now days your committing to 40 weeks counting a longer season, playoffs, spring and weight strength time which we really didn't do back then in all fairness. If you messed with weights in those day's it was at home with that setup mom and dad got you for Christmas one year from J.C. Penny. Back then there was only a third of the kids that are in high school now but three times as many played football then as they do this day and time. That 40 weeks is a lot of time to take out of a kids life growing up than the 15 back then and I can see why there isn't as many today playing as then.

I completely agree with most of your post!  My wish is that the football and basketball coaches would "ENCOURAGE" all of the athletes to participate in multiple sports and not be in a turf war with the other athletic programs.   With that being said I completely agree with mandatory strength & conditioning for "ALL" high school athletes, but that strength & conditioning program should be no more than 2 hours per day.  The "DEAD PERIOD" for high school athletics in Tennessee is the craziest thing that I have ever witnessed.  Instead of taking two (2) weeks out of the middle of the summer why not take two weeks at the end of the school year or take the 2 weeks before the start of Fall sports.  

8 hours ago, cbg said:

I completely agree with most of your post!  My wish is that the football and basketball coaches would "ENCOURAGE" all of the athletes to participate in multiple sports and not be in a turf war with the other athletic programs.   With that being said I completely agree with mandatory strength & conditioning for "ALL" high school athletes, but that strength & conditioning program should be no more than 2 hours per day.  The "DEAD PERIOD" for high school athletics in Tennessee is the craziest thing that I have ever witnessed.  Instead of taking two (2) weeks out of the middle of the summer why not take two weeks at the end of the school year or take the 2 weeks before the start of Fall sports.  

If you think the dead period is crazy. You should check out Missouri. I used to teach over there. They don’t have spring football. None at all. That very beneficial practicing and scrimmaging they miss out on. Crazy stuff. 

52 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

If you think the dead period is crazy. You should check out Missouri. I used to teach over there. They don’t have spring football. None at all. That very beneficial practicing and scrimmaging they miss out on. Crazy stuff. 

If the head football coach “ENCOURAGES” his players to participate in track & field, baseball or soccer you would have very few kids at Spring Practice.  I have talked with multiple NFL players that all ran track and would change into their baseball uniform on the way to the game after the track meet.  If we create strong and fast athletes everything will sort itself out in college.  What we have in Tennessee is a turf war with the football and basketball coaches hoarding the best athletes in the school. 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, cbg said:

If the head football coach “ENCOURAGES” his players to participate in track & field, baseball or soccer you would have very few kids at Spring Practice.  I have talked with multiple NFL players that all ran track and would change into their baseball uniform on the way to the game after the track meet.  If we create strong and fast athletes everything will sort itself out in college.  What we have in Tennessee is a turf war with the football and basketball coaches hoarding the best athletes in the school. 

I agree 100%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

You have to get the kids participating in other sports early. We've done a better job lately of letting our athletes participate in multiple sports, but then there's always that one coach who will pull a kid out of class to "encourage them" to make a different choice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You have to get the kids participating in other sports early. We've done a better job lately of letting our athletes participate in multiple sports, but then there's always that one coach who will pull a kid out of class to "encourage them" to make a different choice. 

Or “we are going to focus on the kids dedicated to basketball instead of those standing around at football during the playoffs “.

18 hours ago, cbg said:

Totally agree

20 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t know if it’s still done this way, but compare that with Texas. There every football coach on the staff used to have a substitute teacher everyday of spring practice so they could focus 100% on football. There was a move in the mid 80’s to get rid of spring practice in Georgia (it was an offshoot of the Jan Kemp scandal at UGA and the perceived overemphasis on athletics.) They ended up with a compromise that trimmed spring from 3 weeks down to 2. 

21 hours ago, cbg said:

My son did middle school track this spring for the first time. Just amazing of what 3 months of that will do for the speed of a kid. I was shocked.

• Upvote 1