Boyd Buchanan 2022

BoydBuchBacker

1 hour ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

Not to mention -- he inherits a 4-6 team that got dominated in region play.  D2AA is tough now. I would argue that Lipscomb beats McCallie if they play last year. McCallie didn't have a guy as good as Broome or Richesson.

All that being said, I'm excited to see Rankin in the Chattanooga area! Welcome and congrats to the Bucs! 

people might think I am crazy but I think LA beats every team in the state not named oakland and would have beat them if they played again or at home.  : )  they mercy ruled every team they played (CPA only once) except oakland, including the eventual state champ of arkansas.

I am excited to see how rankin does!  

2 hours ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

Anyone who thinks Rankin walking in the door means an immediate turnaround is mistaken. I believe he will be successful there but in time... and I'm not sure success for Boyd looks quite the same as it does for Dilfer.

Rankin is the best public school coach in the state,  but this is a different animal than 3A. He won't be able to out athlete most schools on his schedule like he's done in the past.

Not to mention -- he inherits a 4-6 team that got dominated in region play.  D2AA is tough now. I would argue that Lipscomb beats McCallie if they play last year. McCallie didn't have a guy as good as Broome or Richesson.

All that being said, I'm excited to see Rankin in the Chattanooga area! Welcome and congrats to the Bucs! 

Don't think a instant turnaround is unreasonable. If I remember correctly, Boyd dealt with alot of injuries last season. Winning a title would be another thing entirely

Rankin has benefited from having some really talented teams, but he also has a good track record of his teams improvibg at previous stops before Alcoa. Hardly anybody knew where Riverdale was before he got there

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Don't think a instant turnaround is unreasonable. If I remember correctly, Boyd dealt with alot of injuries last season. Winning a title would be another thing entirely

Rankin has benefited from having some really talented teams, but he also has a good track record of his teams improvibg at previous stops before Alcoa. Hardly anybody knew where Riverdale was before he got there

Exactly what I was thinking. (The second statement)

2 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Rankin with the money backing will be dangerous NOW! He’s got several area schools in the Chattanooga area to recruit from. Look at Brainard and Howard and Tyner alone.  Lots of talent in these areas that Rankin will be after! They would be crazy not to go play for Rankin

13 hours ago, Sequatchie33 said:

Rankin with the money backing will be dangerous NOW! He’s got several area schools in the Chattanooga area to recruit from. Look at Brainard and Howard and Tyner alone.  Lots of talent in these areas that Rankin will be after! They would be crazy not to go play for Rankin

I don’t know about Boyd’s $$….but from an outsider looking in, they will be battling to be the 3rd on the list.  No way McCallie or Baylor being taken out of the #1 and #2 spots for talent.  I don’t think Boyd has the resources that the others have.

14 hours ago, Sequatchie33 said:

I"m going to politely disagree. Looking at the past 5 years, Boyd has stunk.

I would argue Red Bank, Tyner, E. Ham, are definitely schools you could pull kids from. But Baylor and McCallie run Chattanooga. CCS is better than Boyd in the same region. Silverdale is also on the rise. Notre Dame in the mix also. 

As far as being crazy to not go play for Rankin, he isn't a household name to kids from Howard School, or Brainerd, or Tyner. And Boyd Buchanan might as well not exist if you are an urban kid from East Chatt. 

The truth is if you aren't Baylor or McCallie, it's slim pickings. No way these smaller schools have the financial backing of the two big boys.  And honestly -- if you are pulling Ham. county kids... you gotta beat out McCallie for top talent. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

I would argue Red Bank, Tyner, E. Ham, are definitely schools you could pull kids from. But Baylor and McCallie run Chattanooga. CCS is better than Boyd in the same region. Silverdale is also on the rise. Notre Dame in the mix also. 

As far as being crazy to not go play for Rankin, he isn't a household name to kids from Howard School, or Brainerd, or Tyner. And Boyd Buchanan might as well not exist if you are an urban kid from East Chatt. 

The truth is if you aren't Baylor or McCallie, it's slim pickings. No way these smaller schools have the financial backing of the two big boys.  And honestly -- if you are pulling Ham. county kids... you gotta beat out McCallie for top talent. 

Excellent post.

3 hours ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

:popcorneater:

8 hours ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

Good post. I agree that Baylor and McCallie are in charge in Chattanooga. However you know how kids now days like the shining new thing and thats Rankin! 
 I will slightly disagree on Rankin not carrying any water with these kids. I think most high school kids know that Alcoa has been in the butt kicking business for a while now and that Rankin has been at that helm! 
 I don’t think Boyd has the money of McCallie but they are gonna come out swinging for the fences with the chatty talent in the Brainard , Tyner , Red bank Ect area soon! You can believe that!

23 hours ago, stephenhargisunderstudy said:

Rankin isn't a household name that way? I know the dynamics are different there than here out west but that's surprising to hear. He could probably come out this way and start a program at a public or private and have his choice of just about any kid he wanted.

15 hours ago, Sequatchie33 said:

Good post. I agree that Baylor and McCallie are in charge in Chattanooga. However you know how kids now days like the shining new thing and thats Rankin! 
 I will slightly disagree on Rankin not carrying any water with these kids. I think most high school kids know that Alcoa has been in the butt kicking business for a while now and that Rankin has been at that helm! 
 I don’t think Boyd has the money of McCallie but they are gonna come out swinging for the fences with the chatty talent in the Brainard , Tyner , Red bank Ect area soon! You can believe that!

Does Kimrey at Baylor not appeal as the "Shiny new thing" ?? Dude won 12 titles in 17 years AND coached in the SEC... Just curious your thoughts?