Boyd Buchanan 2022

BoydBuchBacker

On 3/14/2022 at 2:01 AM, Red Rebels said:

I was at the game. Were you?

(Sorry for the delayed response) No, sir. I had moved back to Georgia by then. I did, and still do, follow Tennessee high school football, probably more than Georgia. I did get an in depth report from a couple of friends who were in attendance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Will definitely be keeping up with Boyd this year. For those of you that think Rankin will just roll over and take the Baylor/McCallie leftovers, I think you will be surprised. If they are truly all in on football, things will get interesting. The Bucs have plucked some talent from the valley in the past and even infiltrated the state of Alabama for talent. With Rankin's experience/connections, Boyd will have a large network to pull talent from. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

Will definitely be keeping up with Boyd this year. For those of you that think Rankin will just roll over and take the Baylor/McCallie leftovers, I think you will be surprised. If they are truly all in on football, things will get interesting. The Bucs have plucked some talent from the valley in the past and even infiltrated the state of Alabama for talent. With Rankin's experience/connections, Boyd will have a large network to pull talent from. 

Personally I wish Gary & the Bucs all the success in the world.  However, everyone must understand a few things with regards to the Baylor & McCallie leftovers:

1.  In the past 40+ years Baylor has not shown that they are really interested in recruiting the type of players that it takes to win state championships in D2AAA.  

2.  McCallie has been very good in D2AAA but what is the limit as to how many football players with marginal “McCallie” academics will be admitted to the school

3.  Lot’s of difference between the competition level of D2A and D2AAA!  My guess is that if Baylor or McCallie really want a kid they will get them unless the family are strong members of the CofC. Not trying to be disrespectful but there is absolutely no comparison between Boyd and McCallie or Baylor when it comes to money, facilities or academic reputation. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Personally I wish Gary & the Bucs all the success in the world.  However, everyone must understand a few things with regards to the Baylor & McCallie leftovers:

1.  In the past 40+ years Baylor has not shown that they are really interested in recruiting the type of players that it takes to win state championships in D2AAA.  

2.  McCallie has been very good in D2AAA but what is the limit as to how many football players with marginal “McCallie” academics will be admitted to the school

3.  Lot’s of difference between the competition level of D2A and D2AAA!  My guess is that if Baylor or McCallie really want a kid they will get them unless the family are strong members of the CofC. Not trying to be disrespectful but there is absolutely no comparison between Boyd and McCallie or Baylor when it comes to money, facilities or academic reputation. 

I could not agree with you more on points 1 & 2. 

I think your answer to #2 is Ralph Potter. As long as he is there, AND WINNING, then the academic side of the house won't be an issue. Winning cures all. 

This run of success from McCallie seems to have forced Baylor to step their game up a bit. Kimrey's track record is impressive though. He might have Baylor competing for championships. 

I will take my leads from Reaction. He seems to be pretty confident in the direction they are going. Plus, Booger is pretty plugged in with the happenings in Chatt town.  

23 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

boyd buchanan is D2-AA, not single A.  and I think lipscomb academy and CPA have shown the gap is not that wide.  there were some naysayers about dilfer at LA but he seems to be doing ok. : )      

Agree to disagree on this one.  LA/CPA are doing just fine but draw from a much different population base than Boyd.  People all over the country are moving to Nashville (which is why folks claim Dilfer is recruiting from out of state which is insane to me), I can't say the same for Boyd, but could be wrong.  Chattanooga MSA (population) is 1/4 of Nashville MSA.  While Chattanooga is growing at a faster clip than Knoxville, they are 80% behind Nashville growth.  Bigger pool with more options, but it's still a bigger pool.

51 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Agree to disagree on this one.  LA/CPA are doing just fine but draw from a much different population base than Boyd.  People all over the country are moving to Nashville (which is why folks claim Dilfer is recruiting from out of state which is insane to me), I can't say the same for Boyd, but could be wrong.  Chattanooga MSA (population) is 1/4 of Nashville MSA.  While Chattanooga is growing at a faster clip than Knoxville, they are 80% behind Nashville growth.  Bigger pool with more options, but it's still a bigger pool.

Good post! I have followed Coach Rankin every since he took the Riverdale job. In their 18 year existence pre-Rankin they had never been past the 2nd Round of the playoffs. In year 4 they were in the state final. The man can flat out coach. I’ll grant you that he walked into a gold mine at Alcoa, but he took it to another level. I will closely follow Boyd this fall. One thing would slightly concern me; outside of us hardcore high school football fans, how many people in the Chattanooga area know who Gary Rankin is? I am sure that they will learn in due time. 

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

no disagreement here.  I started to say something about the talent pool but deleted it because i have no idea.  just correcting the division and noting top AA is pretty dern close to AAA in D2.  LA mercy ruled a D2AAA team last year and would have done so to most of them IMHO.   CPA beat MBA and BA last year.

I do think the cbg brings up some points that are similar.  LA had to up their game in facilities for sure.  they also had to broaden their pool out of the CoC.  

i'm just making conversation cause the D2 board is slow.  

29 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

no disagreement here.  I started to say something about the talent pool but deleted it because i have no idea.  just correcting the division and noting top AA is pretty dern close to AAA in D2.  LA mercy ruled a D2AAA team last year and would have done so to most of them IMHO.   CPA beat MBA and BA last year.

I do think the cbg brings up some points that are similar.  LA had to up their game in facilities for sure.  they also had to broaden their pool out of the CoC.  

i'm just making conversation cause the D2 board is slow.  

Agree that the board is slooooooow.  LA has great facilities but the staff is the best in the state IMO.  Who else has a former NFL strength coach?  LOL.

5 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

The guys around the corner.  Ryan.  You get to stomp a mud hole in us in a few weeks…want to trade coaches?:roflol:

The ones responsible for Father Ryan’s athletic woes are the Board of Trust and former president Jim McIntyre.