Scott Cummings the new head football coach at Oak Ridge!

ORWildcats1

19 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I believe I know exactly who you’re talking about. His son was really good for us on those teams that lost to Catholic in the playoffs. My question is, why would any OR father want their kid to play for Norwood?! Nothing against Norwood, but c’mon man!! 

I can't tell you about today, but I had issue with youth development about 13 years ago. The highest level at the then, "Boys Club", told me in NO uncertain terms "the BC is NOT a feeder program for football"

I considered taking my boys somewhere else but did not because they wanted to play with their friends.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:47 AM, SweetScience said:

I noticed Coach Cummings mentioning the possibility of the elementary schools going back to having football teams. I think that would be a great move personally. That brings out the competition between kids, a lot more so than the “East vs West” experiment we’ve been doing for the past 30 years or so. Nothing for certain, of course, but I’m just glad he even mentioned it.

That’s always a great move and the reason Betsy is playing at a higher level.Shawn know has control over the youth league as well so it’s only going to get better.Best of luck to Oak Ridge and there new coach.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I went to St.Mary's but played youth football for Cedar Hill. If they do try and go back to Elementary teams please include the kids at St.Mary's somehow. I mean a real effort to get them involved. Not just a one minute talk during P.E class. Actually make contacts with the Parents and make them feel welcomed and needed.

RWR.

That’s a great idea Willie. We’ll need those guys at Catholic in a few years. LOL

On 12/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, ADS1 said:

WOW!!!  Might want to research that statement Hoss.  Benny won three state titles in a row in the 1990's, back when there were only three classifications, which included all of the private schools.  

With that being said, I thought that Scott Cummings would be the type of person that could get Cleveland back to where they used to be.  Cleveland is a lot different now than it used to be 20-30 years ago.  I don't know if anyone can get them back.  Personally, I can't stand Cleveland (Crooks), but I really miss our team playing them (hoping TSSAA will put them back in 5A after next season). 

I do think that Coach Cummings will have a lot of success at Oak Ridge. He is a really good coach, and will have tremendous backing. NO EXCUSES!!!   Good Luck to the Wildcats!!!

Doing the research will be easy, seeing as I was at every single game played during each of those 3 state championship seasons! A check of championship history on the TSSAA website will inform you that the 1992 football season was the final one with 3 classes. Starting in 1993 there were 5 classes, and yes, the publics and privates still played together until ‘97. We played Brentwood Academy in the 1993 4A final. Cleveland did make the final in the 3 class system under Coach Monroe in 1982. They were AA and lost to Brentwood Academy. They were moved up to AAA in either ‘83 or ‘85 and advanced past the 2nd Round one time, when they lost in the 3rd Round to Jefferson Co. If you are going to come on here and take a shot at someone, PLEASE know what you are talking about first! 

3 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

That’s a great idea Willie. We’ll need those guys at Catholic in a few years. LOL

LOL, how have you been Irish?

After 8th grade at St. Mary's my Dad asked me if I wanted to go to Jefferson, Webb or Catholic. I knew I was

too odd and wouldn't fit in at Webb. No way was I going to Catholic after being whipped for eight years by Nuns with Rosary Beads. I knew I could make the basketball team at Jefferson so I became an Eagle.

No way should an Oak Ridge Catholic boy want to leave Oak Ridge. OR has it all.

Best of luck to Catholic b-ball this year.