Scott Cummings the new head football coach at Oak Ridge!

ORWildcats1

6 hours ago, CardinalGrey said:

We are waiting for the good news.

RWR!

I am waiting too.

Oh, about getting rid of the weak players, they were called scrubs when I went to OR ( State Champs 1979 and 1980 ) and people respected them. They went to practice everyday, got the heck beat out of them and came out to practice the next day. No quit in them.

On some Wednesdays in the winter, kids that were scrubs or didn't even play football would take on the football players in 2 hand touch games. Blood was always spilled and the score was usually 36 - 24. How I managed not to get hurt still amazes me. 

I want the tradition of the scrubs back so that we don't have to play with only 10 seniors again.

Edited by WilleTheWildcat
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SweetScience said:

That’s awesome. Scott has things headed in the right direction. 

Yessir, gotten a lot done in a short time.  The players I speak to are really excited.  Coach doesn't believe in playing guys both ways.  He takes average players and makes them functional players.  Good players to better players.  Gotta coach them all, figure out what they CAN do and develop that. Every kid there can earn their way onto the field and they know it.  Exciting time to be part of the new beginning.  

7 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Yessir, gotten a lot done in a short time.  The players I speak to are really excited.  Coach doesn't believe in playing guys both ways.  He takes average players and makes them functional players.  Good players to better players.  Gotta coach them all, figure out what they CAN do and develop that. Every kid there can earn their way onto the field and they know it.  Exciting time to be part of the new beginning.  

I like the not playing guys both ways. When you start getting into 5/6A ball, that’s a losing recipe every time, especially when you meet the meat of the schedule. I saw him and his family at the hoops game the other night? His boy (if it’s the one I’m thinking) looked fairly well sized. Wonder if he’ll eventually be a factor? Not sure what grade he is, but remember him mentioning him to DC during the coaches show.

I wish the best for Coach Cummings and staff, whoever he hires, and I plan on being there next fall to watch them play and enjoy it. It is his program now and he has to hire assistants who are loyal, who fit his scheme of offense, defense and kicking and game planning. If he is getting guys excited and getting them in the weight room working hard, then that is where a lot of games are won in the fall.  We have the talent coming back to be pretty good, but the main thing is building some depth, which he has spoken to in interviews I saw him do with David Clary and Alan Beauchamp. I like his idea of not having guys going both ways, that is huge in being able to deal with injuries, and tough ball games in the 4th quarter and it will pay huge dividends at playoff time,  

I also want to wish the best for Jeff Miner and the coaches who went to Hardin Valley, they have a big job ahead of them and playing in 6A against teams like Maryville and Farragut. Tough job!!

• Like 1