Scott Cummings the new head football coach at Oak Ridge!

ORWildcats1

1 hour ago, GoSpartans1960 said:

Coach Cummings did not do his history homework before he took the Cleveland job. Or he knew the history of Cleveland HCs  after Benny Monroe and thought so much of his coaching ability that he could change that history. Wrong. After Benny Monroe left Cleveland, no HC has lasted more than 3 or 4 years as the HC at Cleveland. I think l am right on that? Maybe someone can correct me. Don't want to be accused of spreading false information on the T. I even think they went through some alumni as HC also? I think there HC there now has been there 3 years? And he really has not burned it either.

Go to AHSFHS.org then hit Tennessee in the left hand corner then hit teams, thenhit summary and pretty much has a good history year by year on most teams.

I think he is a good pick to start a new era in Oak Ridge Football, I hope he will have the leeway to hire in some assistant coaches such as an OC and DC, there are very few assistant coaches left now that all the defensive staff went to Hardin Valley. He inherits a pretty good bunch of players that a good team can be assembled from, so we will see....

2022 Schedule:

AT South-Doyle

AT Bearden

Clinton

Farragut

Lenoir City

OPEN

AT Powell

Greeneville

Karns

AT Kingsport DB

AT Campbell County

7 hours ago, oridgecat said:

They can laugh all they want.  We are happy to have him.  And Cleveland will never sniff a championship in football again as long as there's an OaKland and a Murvil.  

Cleveland has never had any success, on the state playoff level, when competing in the state’s highest class, even going back to the Coach Monroe era in the 3 class days. 

13 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Not sure we have any sure thing D1 guys, but there is alot of talent returning.   The O line will be much improved.  These players better rest up and get ready to go to work.  They are about to be pushed in training unlike anything they were asked to do under the previous staff.  I expect some will quit, but the ones left standing will be football players.  

B.Heyward is a baller.Improved QB play and Oline play and he could go for huge numbers.I know by things you have said in past threads you're not high on Rogers but the kid made big plays after missing half the yr.After 13 left the playoff game we threw it to Rogers about every play and he was carrying us.I dont know about grades or anything like that but both have d1 offers,size and talent

5 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I will say I love ur optumism.  Went 3-8 this year and acting like you've got all the pieces and a new coach will make a difference.  That wood make sense if the old coach was bad but int he a hall of fame coach with state championchips to his name?

Just my opinion, of course, but I think the previous regime at OR had become a little lackadaisical in their approach to the strength and conditioning program. When working out is “optional” for some players, it doesn’t set a very good precedent, whether you’re a coach who has HOF credentials or not.

Edited by SweetScience

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I think he is a good pick to start a new era in Oak Ridge Football, I hope he will have the leeway to hire in some assistant coaches such as an OC and DC, there are very few assistant coaches left now that all the defensive staff went to Hardin Valley. He inherits a pretty good bunch of players that a good team can be assembled from, so we will see....

2022 Schedule:

AT South-Doyle

AT Bearden

Clinton

Farragut

Lenoir City

OPEN

AT Powell

Greeneville

Karns

AT Kingsport DB

AT Campbell County

There are two coaches left on the staff that even want to remain on the staff.  Coach Cummings is the offensive coordinator.  He needs to be allowed to bring a DC and a full time paid strength and conditioning coach.   IF he is allowed to do that, then it would make a total of 5 coaches on staff.  So, it is going to be extremely tough to hire 5 assistants with only 1 teaching position open at the high school.  So, I repeat myself once again.  We are about to find out IF the powers that be (admin. and school board) are serious about Oak Ridge being good at football.   IF they are, they will do their part to help Coach bring in some quality assistants to build a staff.  These people know the situation and they can make this happen.

IF being good at football is still a priority in the City of Oak Ridge, then what happens here is a huge turning point for better or for worse for the future of Oak Ridge Football.  I know these people read this stuff, Please do what you can to make this happen!

32 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

There are two coaches left on the staff that even want to remain on the staff.  Coach Cummings is the offensive coordinator.  He needs to be allowed to bring a DC and a full time paid strength and conditioning coach.   IF he is allowed to do that, then it would make a total of 5 coaches on staff.  So, it is going to be extremely tough to hire 5 assistants with only 1 teaching position open at the high school.  So, I repeat myself once again.  We are about to find out IF the powers that be (admin. and school board) are serious about Oak Ridge being good at football.   IF they are, they will do their part to help Coach bring in some quality assistants to build a staff.  These people know the situation and they can make this happen.

IF being good at football is still a priority in the City of Oak Ridge, then what happens here is a huge turning point for better or for worse for the future of Oak Ridge Football.  I know these people read this stuff, Please do what you can to make this happen!

I have no insight into the culture at Oak Ridge, but I can state unequivocally that most high schools are not serious about football.    They play it for fun and you win some, lose some, yadda-yadda...      Lots of reasons for that, sometimes it is driven by funding (or lack thereof), community support (or lack thereof), 5 star athletes in the system (or lack thereof), etc.        To have consistent success takes a lot of components coming together year after year after year.     Every now and then a relatively unknown school with have the stars and planets align and get an exceptional group of athletes on the field at the same time and make a run, but only a handful of schools have success consistently.      I think that is what you are saying above, i.e., how serious is the Oak Ridge administration about building a consistently competitive championship program?      I certainly wish you guys the best.

1 hour ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I will say I love ur optumism.  Went 3-8 this year and acting like you've got all the pieces and a new coach will make a difference.  That wood make sense if the old coach was bad but int he a hall of fame coach with state championchips to his name?

This cant be an honest post. Have you ever seen Robertsville or Jefferson Middle athletes? I am not from Oak Ridge, but looking from the outside, they have a treasure trove of athletes. Gaddis is a great coach, he knows his stuff, but if the connections with players are not there, and the expectations became relaxed, you can have a year like this year. They were still in most of their games. One or two plays in each game and their record could have been flipped (i.e. a HB pass against Bearden). 

It is seen often with older coaches, they are not "player coaches" and they cannot relate to todays youth. I dont know the details, but it seems as if this was the case with Gaddis. 

The pieces are there, but you have to let CSC bring in coaches that can relate to the players and also know their Xs and Os. A great head coach surrounds himself with great position coaches. If Oak Ridge and CSC can do that, then they will be back to being a contender year in and year out from the east. 

22 minutes ago, TheBigLebowski99 said:

This cant be an honest post. Have you ever seen Robertsville or Jefferson Middle athletes? I am not from Oak Ridge, but looking from the outside, they have a treasure trove of athletes. Gaddis is a great coach, he knows his stuff, but if the connections with players are not there, and the expectations became relaxed, you can have a year like this year. They were still in most of their games. One or two plays in each game and their record could have been flipped (i.e. a HB pass against Bearden). 

It is seen often with older coaches, they are not "player coaches" and they cannot relate to todays youth. I dont know the details, but it seems as if this was the case with Gaddis. 

The pieces are there, but you have to let CSC bring in coaches that can relate to the players and also know their Xs and Os. A great head coach surrounds himself with great position coaches. If Oak Ridge and CSC can do that, then they will be back to being a contender year in and year out from the east. 

I live in Middle TN so i've never seen the kids from those schools.  I was just stating facts I could see on the internet.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

I have no insight into the culture at Oak Ridge, but I can state unequivocally that most high schools are not serious about football.    They play it for fun and you win some, lose some, yadda-yadda...      Lots of reasons for that, sometimes it is driven by funding (or lack thereof), community support (or lack thereof), 5 star athletes in the system (or lack thereof), etc.        To have consistent success takes a lot of components coming together year after year after year.     Every now and then a relatively unknown school with have the stars and planets align and get an exceptional group of athletes on the field at the same time and make a run, but only a handful of schools have success consistently.      I think that is what you are saying above, i.e., how serious is the Oak Ridge administration about building a consistently competitive championship program?      I certainly wish you guys the best.

Blazer, Let me give you some insight.  We have had 4 losing seasons in 79 years of football and 2 of those were in '43 and '44, our first two football teams.  We have 8 state championships and 1 national championship.  Oak Ridge football has been traditionally good if not excellent consistently for 75 out of 79 years.  We know what it takes to be champions and have done things in the past to remain a top tier program.  So being excellent at football has always been a priority in Oak Ridge until recently.  What I'm trying to tell folks is that the current admin, school board and city leaders need to step it up and get the things done that they know need to happen in order to allow the program to excel.   

Cliff notes:  Being Excellent at football used to be a top priority.  Is it still?  We are about to find out.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1