Rankin leaving Alcoa

Jeremiah

18 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Well of course anyone familiar with SP knows the booster situation although some down there say its not true.The source I have said SP reach out to Rankin and he turned it down first hand regardless of money.We are hearing if he indeed does leave which isnt confirmed yet it will be for an extra retirement as in Private sector.Until it's done dont believe all you hear.SP was never considered just to be clear.

I’ve seen the man on TV enough to know what he looks like. A few weeks ago I drove by early in the week a few days before Christmas and saw him outside the field with a current interim coach at SP. I was shocked so I circled around and parked close to the school to make sure I was seeing correctly. I then physically saw him  get in a Ford Explorer and drive over to the high school and go inside. If he never considered SP he sure did waste a lot of time that day. Unless he has a clone he came to SP and met with them. I don’t really care what we do. I trust that they will make a good hire this time but I saw him that day with my own eyes. 

9 hours ago, CaptainLongbeard said:

I’ve seen the man on TV enough to know what he looks like. A few weeks ago I drove by early in the week a few days before Christmas and saw him outside the field with a current interim coach at SP. I was shocked so I circled around and parked close to the school to make sure I was seeing correctly. I then physically saw him  get in a Ford Explorer and drive over to the high school and go inside. If he never considered SP he sure did waste a lot of time that day. Unless he has a clone he came to SP and met with them. I don’t really care what we do. I trust that they will make a good hire this time but I saw him that day with my own eyes. 

No disrespect intended!When you are approached with a program like SP and you are in the vicinity why not at least go look--I would!But my post was that he was not entertaining the thought of taking the job but he is who he is and why not at least go take a look why your visiting your son.SP is a worthy program but way off from Alcos or what a private can provide.Unless some one breaks the bank and with the situation you all have been in you dont need any funny business  going on for a while.

22 hours ago, GoTigers0322 said:

Also, is there any truth to the rumor of Alcoa moving up or being forced to move up? 

I heard the other day that they were moving up or being forced to move up to 5A.

Does it really matter...? Not one 4A would play them after the last classification. Not Anderson County, not Elizabethton and not Greenville. A few years ago, 4A teams moved to 5A at the mere rumor of Alcoa moving up a classification. The Alcoa football program is what it is. They play in the classification they are suppose to play in. No one can point to their non-region schedule as they have played 3 5A/6A schools the last few years.  

• Like 2

Rankin is good friends with a couple SP folks.  He was in town on a visit.  Had nothing to do with the SP job being open.  Just a friendly coach to coach visit. 

As for Baylor,  I don't know if he's interested at this point in time or not.  

As someone has pointed out before,  I think if he leaves Alcoa it'll be for a DII position.  So,  Baylor makes sense but not if he's not interested. 

14 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Rankin is good friends with a couple SP folks.  He was in town on a visit.  Had nothing to do with the SP job being open.  Just a friendly coach to coach visit. 

As someone has pointed out before,  I think if he leaves Alcoa it'll be for a DII position.  So,  Baylor makes sense but not if he's not interested. 

This is exactly what's floating around.Good post ST as usual.Although I did hear they did throw out a number.

Edited by orngnblk

On 1/6/2022 at 1:27 AM, CaptainLongbeard said:

When Coach Rankin was at Riverdale, it was well known that he would go and meet with any school that contacted him. He even came to a school here in Georgia once. Whether or not he still does that I don’t know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, Southtowner said:

I remember 1 time Gruden was spotted on a plain watching UT film and everyone knew then he was going to be our next coach.... worked out really well. 

Edited by ManOfMillions