2021 Sonic Shootout

ukhoops

Tuesday December 21st, 2021 Schedule

10:00 am   Upperman vs Lawerence Co(Girls)

11:30 am   York vs Warren County (Boys)

1:00 pm    Cascade vs Wayne (Girls)

2:30 pm     White County vs Coffee County (Boys)

4:00 pm   York vs Warren County (Girls)

5:30 pm     McMinn Central vs Friendship (Boys)

7:00 pm     White County vs Clarkrange  (Girls)

8:30 pm     Cascade vs Tn Heat (Boys) 

My family and I were planning on coming for a York/Clarkrange game today to find out Clarkrange forfeits instead of playing.  I have supported athletics in both schools I feel it’s a shame that schools so close won’t play.  It’s BS to say it’s because it’s over something that happened 40 years ago.  Wonder if you can get a refund on season tickets because I will not be using my Clarkrange one anymore.  

34 minutes ago, maddams said:

Can somebody this to a non-UC guy? Clarkrange forfeited rather than play York? Makes no sense to me

Long standing agreement since the 1970’s when there was a shooting/murder during the game. Only if they face each other in district play will they play.

1 hour ago, maddams said:

Can somebody this to a non-UC guy? Clarkrange forfeited rather than play York? Makes no sense to me

Yes, Clarkrange forfeited the game according to the tournament director. 

To use the excuse that they can’t play York due to a shooting that happened 40-50 years ago is a pretty poor one. There is no agreement, rule or anything in place saying these two teams can’t play. York has been trying to schedule with Clarkrange for years and years but get turned down every time. The boys even used to scrimmage before the season a few years ago but for some reason the girls never wanted too. 

But the bracket for this tournament was put out over a month in advance, they knew there would be a possibility of meeting up with York… I feel bad for the girls from both teams to have this game taken away from them like this. York coaches wanted to play this game but Clarkrange had no intentions of wanting to play at all. 

Edited by YorkPride21

13 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Long standing agreement since the 1970’s when there was a shooting/murder during the game. Only if they face each other in district play will they play.

there was no murder involved.  Just a shooting during the game.  I think it was in 68.  The boys teams played in a Livingston Tournament 15 or 20 years ago in the consolation game there.  Livingston gym was packed with Fentress Countians and nothing happened but a basketball game.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Not true at all.... their was NO murder lololol....the shooting happened in 65-66 after the game and the teams played after that for several years.... the stoppage of play happened when an allegation of cheating by the scoreboard operator happened in the early 70's....

No reason at all for these teams not to play....

Ridiculous or dodging a loss.... call it what you want...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UCPrepShowcase said:

Not true at all.... their was NO murder lololol....the shooting happened in 65-66 after the game and the teams played after that for several years.... the stoppage of play happened when an allegation of cheating by the scoreboard operator happened in the early 70's....

I think you nailed it.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

there was no murder involved.  Just a shooting during the game.  I think it was in 68.  The boys teams played in a Livingston Tournament 15 or 20 years ago in the consolation game there.  Livingston gym was packed with Fentress Countians and nothing happened but a basketball game.   

I got the story second hand and the person said someone died in the shooting. I guess it’s become an urban legend around here. They should play each other though. I was looking forward to going to the game. 

7 hours ago, UCPrepShowcase said:

They did not play in the 70's at all.  Nikki Whited and Ronnie Slaven were on that last York team to play Clarkrange  other than the previous mention consolation game in Livingston 15 or 20 years back

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic