why the coaching change so soon at Dickson County??

fredjones

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but basically hasn’t Dickson had only two significant seasons in their history? 1988-State AAA Champs. 1999- Stunned Riverdale in Round 1 of the playoffs?

They have always struggled in the post season. They’ve only made it past the 2nd round twice in the program’s history I think, but they still used to field tough teams pretty much every year. Problem for them in recent years is they were locked into one of the toughest regions in the state. It killed a lot of the momentum and morale in that program, but that shouldn't be an issue in their new region.  

With all the growth that county has seen, and the fact that there’s still only 2 high schools, cobbling together enough talent to win 4-6 games a year should not be that tall of a task. 

Edited by MSURacer

56 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

They have always struggled in the post season. They’ve only made it past the 2nd round twice in the program’s history I think, but they still used to field tough teams pretty much every year. Problem for them in recent years is they were locked into one of the toughest regions in the state. It killed a lot of the momentum and morale in that program, but that shouldn't be an issue in their new region.  

With all the growth that county has seen, and the fact that there’s still only 2 high schools, cobbling together enough talent to win 4-6 games a year should not be that tall of a task. 

With the population explosion in Dickson County and only two high schools there is absolutely no reason that both schools should not make the playoffs every year.  It’s not like only the champion and runner up qualify for the playoffs. 

23 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

They have been bad for a long time and nothing coming down the road can change it I am afraid. Career suicide.

I believe the middle school football in the area was strong this past season.  If you give Jeff Tomlinson 2 years the football program at Dickson County High School is going to look totally different.  

Another major factor that nobody is talking about is the region schedule.  I mean no disrespect to the Cougars current region foes but for several years they were playing in a region against the likes of Brentwood, Ravenwood, Independence, Franklin, Centennial, and now the region also includes Summit and very soon will probably include Nolensville & Page.  Dickson County didn't have a prayer in that region.  It was like Coffee County trying to play in the Rutherford County region during those years.  

2 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I believe the middle school football in the area was strong this past season.  If you give Jeff Tomlinson 2 years the football program at Dickson County High School is going to look totally different.  

Another major factor that nobody is talking about is the region schedule.  I mean no disrespect to the Cougars current region foes but for several years they were playing in a region against the likes of Brentwood, Ravenwood, Independence, Franklin, Centennial, and now the region also includes Summit and very soon will probably include Nolensville & Page.  Dickson County didn't have a prayer in that region.  It was like Coffee County trying to play in the Rutherford County region during those years.  

IDC who the coach is. Dickson does not pump out the same type of athletes like the teams they play in that region. I know the coach has tied there but there’s no way someone with his success the last few years should’ve taken that job.

4 hours ago, cbg said:

With the population explosion in Dickson County and only two high schools there is absolutely no reason that both schools should not make the playoffs every year.  It’s not like only the champion and runner up qualify for the playoffs. 

Agreed. I know Dickson County fell on some tough times in the Wilco region, but frankly, they should not only compete, they should be one of the perennial favorites in their new region. Way too much history and resources there to be a yearly 1-2 win team. 

The right person can still win there with support. And with the smaller Wilco schools moving up and pushing Dickson out of that region, their worst days should probably be behind them. But that's only if the administration and community are willing to make a positive effort.