why the coaching change so soon at Dickson County??

fredjones

2 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

This is one of those instances where being in the class they are in is the biggest hindrance. DC will never be able to produce enough athletes to compete at the 6A level, no matter who the coach is. If they could get down to 5A their chances improve 

They won't ever be a year-in-year-out contender for state championships, but they should absolutely be a regular playoff qualifier in 6A. And if that area keeps growing, they should occasionally be able to field teams that can win 2-3+ playoff games.

I guess the one threat with growth is the possibility of new high schools being built, but Dickson actually sits in a pretty advantageous position. Their growth is steady but it's not overwhelming. Their situation seems a lot less unpredictable than other areas around Middle TN.  

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

They won't ever be a year-in-year-out contender for state championships, but they should absolutely be a regular playoff qualifier in 6A. And if that area keeps growing, they should occasionally be able to field teams that can win 2-3+ playoff games.

I guess the one threat with growth is the possibility of new high schools being built, but Dickson actually sits in a pretty advantageous position. Their growth is steady but it's not overwhelming. Their situation seems a lot less unpredictable than other areas around Middle TN.  

Playoffs, yes. But with the way the game is played now, I'm not sure I see a path to success for them in 6A. In the 80s they were a success because football was a much more physical game, which played to the strengths of their demographic.

Unless they have an incredible player at TB or QB, not sure it's possible for them to make a run in the quarters. 

28 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Playoffs, yes. But with the way the game is played now, I'm not sure I see a path to success for them in 6A. In the 80s they were a success because football was a much more physical game, which played to the strengths of their demographic.

Unless they have an incredible player at TB or QB, not sure it's possible for them to make a run in the quarters. 

Very true, but that's the key point that comes with growth. Eventually demographics do shift, although that trend is quite a bit slower in DC than in places like Wilco or RuCo. 

I doubt anyone is holding their breath waiting for DC to become a powerhouse again, but I don't think the program is a lost cause. I still say if they got the right person in there, and a few dominoes fell their way, there remains potential for a very solid program.

Granted, I am biased as a Henry County fan. I still retain a begrudged respect for Dickson County as a former rival. They were tough as nails for years.  

59 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Very true, but that's the key point that comes with growth. Eventually demographics do shift, although that trend is quite a bit slower in DC than in places like Wilco or RuCo. 

I doubt anyone is holding their breath waiting for DC to become a powerhouse again, but I don't think the program is a lost cause. I still say if they got the right person in there, and a few dominoes fell their way, there remains potential for a very solid program.

Granted, I am biased as a Henry County fan. I still retain a begrudged respect for Dickson County as a former rival. They were tough as nails for years.  

Only problem is that change will be much slower bc of DC's proximity to the Greater Nashville area and no guarantee it will ever happen. I do agree playoffs every year is a reasonable goal for them but as long as they're in 6A, they're chances of actually winning a game in the postseason aren't good.

I do hope I'm wrong and DC does well. They at least have a chance in their current region

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, MSURacer said:

With the right coaching staff you will find that people will move into Dickson County so that their children are afforded the opportunity to play for a great program.