Former Maryville coach coming to ETSU

blazer1set

14 minutes ago, Solomon said:

They were at 75+ this year.

Rebs fielded 25 (could have had more)

Southerners and Lil Rebs both fielded 35.

Not sure of total numbers of the Cubs org, but my guess is between Jr High and youth leagues there were over 230 kids playing tackle football this year in the city.

Things are ok.

Yes I heard the numbers were really up big time but for about 5 or 6 years the junior high was around the 30 level. Not sure what caused the big explosion all the sudden but no complaints from this corner. At the time I was getting real concerned until Greyrider told me we actually were down to the real meat of the team and all the fat done us a favor and moved to the side. 

On 12/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

The only person that knows why he decided to leave is him his self. Only the closest people to him can only speculate why. I was always told when the day came he lost Gaylor and Ellis the rest of the house would come tumbling down like a house of cards. I think both coaches were ready to get out anyway. We could lose all five interior offensive linemen and Ellis could bring you one back the following year good if not better, seen it to many times. This is just my speculation but any coach always has it on the back of their mind who is the new crop coming up and how many. About the time of his departure the junior high went from producing 60 man teams to 30 overnight and had a lot to do with the kids safety which was being overplayed until all the Karen's in Maryville wouldn't allow junior to play football anymore. Only speculation there on my part but I was posting about this problem when it was happening and not many people blinked an eye. Sure surprised me when he left but losing two great coaches and Karen out there drying up your feeder system is what I think may have contributed to his departure.

He may have taken it too seriously when his neighbor put that For Sale sign in his yard. That could happen anywhere.

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Yes I heard the numbers were really up big time but for about 5 or 6 years the junior high was around the 30 level. Not sure what caused the big explosion all the sudden but no complaints from this corner. At the time I was getting real concerned until Greyrider told me we actually were down to the real meat of the team and all the fat done us a favor and moved to the side. 

If they stick with it, there's still plenty of talent in the pipeline.

As a side note the Furman game’s a home game for ETSU this year. First thing I thought of when I read about ETSU hiring Coach Quarles was how a big part of him going to Furman was to coach with Clay Hendrix and how they were roommates when they were young and all that. It’ll be quite a day for both of them to be on opposite sidelines now. Might well be worth a trip up I-81 if UT’s not at home that week.

• 3 weeks later...

I like ETSU and know a lot of coaches that were and still on staff, Randy Sanders built the program up to new heights and GQ should keep the thing rolling.  But to say they will be a force to be reckoned with is a stretch imo.  ETSU graduates a bit of talent.  NDSU runs FCS.  The gap in that game was pretty large.  VMI is making a push and should make a run at SoCon title.  Lets be realistic.  College football nothing is a guarantee.  They should still be successful but I'm not ready to say they will be a force nationally.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, MCCS87 said:

I like ETSU and know a lot of coaches that were and still on staff, Randy Sanders built the program up to new heights and GQ should keep the thing rolling.  But to say they will be a force to be reckoned with is a stretch imo.  ETSU graduates a bit of talent.  NDSU runs FCS.  The gap in that game was pretty large.  VMI is making a push and should make a run at SoCon title.  Lets be realistic.  College football nothing is a guarantee.  They should still be successful but I'm not ready to say they will be a force nationally.

I thought they were only graduating 7 or 8 players? May be a bit of talent in that 7 or 8 but a lot of experienced talent coming back next year. If they can at least do as well as they did this year there's going to be a lot of good high school players wanting to be a part of that. Nothing builds success like success. 

9 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I thought they were only graduating 7 or 8 players? May be a bit of talent in that 7 or 8 but a lot of experienced talent coming back next year. If they can at least do as well as they did this year there's going to be a lot of good high school players wanting to be a part of that. Nothing builds success like success. 

They are.  They lose some key guys, but they return the bulk of their starters and significant contributors.  

Sounds like a reply from a fan of another SoCon program trying to downplay what ETSU has been able to do in a few short years.  

And he's correct about VMI. They are making an effort to upgrade their program.  But with it's military requirements, that's a tough sell to most kids in this day and time.  And I having a son who graduated from West Point, I am a big supporter of schools like VMI and The Citadel who have stayed firm on their missions as military based state universities.  

Edited by HTV