Former Maryville coach coming to ETSU

blazer1set

8 hours ago, rollnoles said:

Interesting but there is more. Will leave it at that. 

There may be but to be straight and honest the end of a career was near anyway. I'm pretty sure GQ had to coaxed Ellis and Gaylor into staying as long as they did anyway. We always heard the rumors over the last few years that both were ready to retire at anytime and really dreaded that day.

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There may be but to be straight and honest the end of a career was near anyway. I'm pretty sure GQ had to coaxed Ellis and Gaylor into staying as long as they did anyway. We always heard the rumors over the last few years that both were ready to retire at anytime and really dreaded that day.

Yea but there was more leave it at that.

Edited by rollnoles

On 12/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

ETSU has a ton of players coming back next year off a really good football team. I think they only lose 6 or 7 to graduation. Could be a good start right out of the gate for Quarles. I guess they think highly of him because he beat out some really good candidates for the job, including a former NFL coach.

They do..however as soon as coach sanders announced retirement a number of key players immediately entered the transfer portal. Hopefully the new coach and convince them to stay. 

On 12/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

The only person that knows why he decided to leave is him his self. Only the closest people to him can only speculate why. I was always told when the day came he lost Gaylor and Ellis the rest of the house would come tumbling down like a house of cards. I think both coaches were ready to get out anyway. We could lose all five interior offensive linemen and Ellis could bring you one back the following year good if not better, seen it to many times. This is just my speculation but any coach always has it on the back of their mind who is the new crop coming up and how many. About the time of his departure the junior high went from producing 60 man teams to 30 overnight and had a lot to do with the kids safety which was being overplayed until all the Karen's in Maryville wouldn't allow junior to play football anymore. Only speculation there on my part but I was posting about this problem when it was happening and not many people blinked an eye. Sure surprised me when he left but losing two great coaches and Karen out there drying up your feeder system is what I think may have contributed to his departure.

They were at 75+ this year.

Rebs fielded 25 (could have had more)

Southerners and Lil Rebs both fielded 35.

Not sure of total numbers of the Cubs org, but my guess is between Jr High and youth leagues there were over 230 kids playing tackle football this year in the city.

Things are ok.

• Like 1