Jackson North Side ends 73 game losing streak

ReitzFan

Congratulations to the Jackson North Side Lady Indians as they defeated Madison by a score of 43-22 this afternoon at the Oman Arena. The Lady Indians, who are coached by Ken Northcut, ended a 73 game losing streak that dated back to November 19, 2018 when they defeated the Ripley Lady Tigers in Ripley.

Attached is a link to exclusive video of the final three minutes of this game.

https://fb.watch/adQH_KDg7g/

On 1/7/2022 at 8:49 AM, BallIsLife1 said:

Who did they beat?

You know who we defeated, so why ask? Unfortunately, that part doesn't matter. We were one of the most powerhouse basketball teams in girls basketball about 10-15 years ago. We're always in the topic of discussion to reach Murfreesboro and hoping to see our friends from Westview, Obion Central, and Gibson County (I believe they were with us in the classification). School zone change happened, that resulted into a coaching change, which resulted into a downfall. The coach that replaced Farris Lowery was never his caliber of a coach. He left and here comes Shemon Reeves. He dropped it to a whole new level. Keep in mind, while we're going through coaching changes, our talent is dropping along with the quality of coaches that are coming in. 

While we're going through this process, Brent McNeal (who used to be a teacher at North Side but an alum at South Side) is building a powerhouse with the Lady Hawks in South Jackson. Our administration staff put girls basketball (realistically all lady sports) in the backseat. No one at North Side doesn't care about girls basketball. Why? Because the talent and coaching changes dropped significantly for them not to care.

Here comes Ken Northcut. If Ken can come and bring us some stability in 4-5 years, I'll be excited. I want to join the TCA posters (along with @pioneer42, The South Side posters, and many more that reside in West Tennessee about girls basketball. But I can't. Why? Because the team that I root for is the laughing stock of basketball. I don't attend games on a regular basis, it's not worth it anymore. 

Ken Northcutt doesn't have an easy job. He knows that. He's inheriting a team that is averaging a -30/-40 point differential in each game. He's inheriting a team that scores an average of 20-30 points per game and allowing 70ish points per game. I saw a picture and there's about 10 ladies on the team. Yeah, other teams have more. But we had 7 players total in one game a few years ago. They couldn't just play, but they couldn't practice either.

Sorry for the rant. I wish Ken the best. By the time North Side will be relevant (hopefully), they probably won't be in the same district as South Gibson and South Side. I want the games to be competitive, I want the team to be relevant. I want to see a lady commit to a school.

It's going to take time, but Ken is the right guy to bring us back to a form of relevancy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

You know who we defeated, so why ask? Unfortunately, that part doesn't matter. We were one of the most powerhouse basketball teams in girls basketball about 10-15 years ago. We're always in the topic of discussion to reach Murfreesboro and hoping to see our friends from Westview, Obion Central, and Gibson County (I believe they were with us in the classification). School zone change happened, that resulted into a coaching change, which resulted into a downfall. The coach that replaced Farris Lowery was never his caliber of a coach. He left and here comes Shemon Reeves. He dropped it to a whole new level. Keep in mind, while we're going through coaching changes, our talent is dropping along with the quality of coaches that are coming in. 

While we're going through this process, Brent McNeal (who used to be a teacher at North Side but an alum at South Side) is building a powerhouse with the Lady Hawks in South Jackson. Our administration staff put girls basketball (realistically all lady sports) in the backseat. No one at North Side doesn't care about girls basketball. Why? Because the talent and coaching changes dropped significantly for them not to care.

Here comes Ken Northcut. If Ken can come and bring us some stability in 4-5 years, I'll be excited. I want to join the TCA posters (along with @pioneer42, The South Side posters, and many more that reside in West Tennessee about girls basketball. But I can't. Why? Because the team that I root for is the laughing stock of basketball. I don't attend games on a regular basis, it's not worth it anymore. 

Ken Northcutt doesn't have an easy job. He knows that. He's inheriting a team that is averaging a -30/-40 point differential in each game. He's inheriting a team that scores an average of 20-30 points per game and allowing 70ish points per game. I saw a picture and there's about 10 ladies on the team. Yeah, other teams have more. But we had 7 players total in one game a few years ago. They couldn't just play, but they couldn't practice either.

Sorry for the rant. I wish Ken the best. By the time North Side will be relevant (hopefully), they probably won't be in the same district as South Gibson and South Side. I want the games to be competitive, I want the team to be relevant. I want to see a lady commit to a school.

It's going to take time, but Ken is the right guy to bring us back to a form of relevancy.

Now that I have went to the North Side page and looked, I do know, but when I asked I didn't. I agree, if Northcutt can get a group to hang around and be willing to takes some bumps and bruises they will be fine in a few years. 

10 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Now that I have went to the North Side page and looked, I do know, but when I asked I didn't. I agree, if Northcutt can get a group to hang around and be willing to takes some bumps and bruises they will be fine in a few years. 

Okay, I apologize. I just figured that North Side defeated a team that is basically winless in Madison. If the score is accurate, Liberty girls team lost 119-7. The talent pool in Jackson is thin. The culture in Jackson for girls basketball is thin. I'm glad that South Side is as good as it gets. However, I'm afraid if North Side can get back to relevant form of basketball, then South Side may not be as good. Why? Talent pool is thin.

18 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Okay, I apologize. I just figured that North Side defeated a team that is basically winless in Madison. If the score is accurate, Liberty girls team lost 119-7. The talent pool in Jackson is thin. The culture in Jackson for girls basketball is thin. I'm glad that South Side is as good as it gets. However, I'm afraid if North Side can get back to relevant form of basketball, then South Side may not be as good. Why? Talent pool is thin.

Got to get the feeder systems going. You will be surprised how many ball players can be developed. GC works them real young. That is where you get a program. Start more of a reloading process instead of rebuilding process in time. Wilkins is pulling fruit off of trees he sewed 8 years ago. His Junior High team this year really good. 

Edited by pioneer42

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Got to get the feeder systems going. You will be surprised how many ball players can be developed. GC works them real young. That is where you get a program. Start more of a reloading process instead of rebuilding process in time. Wilkins is pulling fruit off of trees he sewed 8 years ago. His Junior High team this year really good. 

But here's the problem. We're not guaranteed our feeder kids are going to North Side. That's the problem with every sport here in the JMCSS. The reason is that our school zone changes every 3-4 years and basically each kid can find a way to go to either school he/she want to. Over in Gibson County, y'all basically know exactly who you're getting from the feeder schools, and all the other Gibson County schools (other than Peabody) is so spread out where kids in Dyer probably aren't going to Milan or South Gibson. 

We don't do the "basketball" summer camps for our youth. I wish, but we just don't. So we don't have our youth attending our games (even in football). You don't see them playing two hand touch like they do at USJ or a Milan game behind the field goal posts. So, your youth isn't in our gymnasiums, they're not attending our games. It doesn't help that we have a coaching change every 3 years. I don't believe our coaches in the past taught the fundamentals in the game. There's no consistency in the high school program. We're not guaranteed to have the kids that are playing at out feeder schools. We do not have any summer camps/youth games in our gym. For those reasons we're paying the price.

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

But here's the problem. We're not guaranteed our feeder kids are going to North Side. That's the problem with every sport here in the JMCSS. The reason is that our school zone changes every 3-4 years and basically each kid can find a way to go to either school he/she want to. Over in Gibson County, y'all basically know exactly who you're getting from the feeder schools, and all the other Gibson County schools (other than Peabody) is so spread out where kids in Dyer probably aren't going to Milan or South Gibson. 

We don't do the "basketball" summer camps for our youth. I wish, but we just don't. So we don't have our youth attending our games (even in football). You don't see them playing two hand touch like they do at USJ or a Milan game behind the field goal posts. So, your youth isn't in our gymnasiums, they're not attending our games. It doesn't help that we have a coaching change every 3 years. I don't believe our coaches in the past taught the fundamentals in the game. There's no consistency in the high school program. We're not guaranteed to have the kids that are playing at out feeder schools. We do not have any summer camps/youth games in our gym. For those reasons we're paying the price.

It is up to the coach to organize these programs. If he can’t, he will always be in the back seat.

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

But here's the problem. We're not guaranteed our feeder kids are going to North Side. That's the problem with every sport here in the JMCSS. We don't do the "basketball" summer camps for our youth. I wish, but we just don't' So we don't have our youth attending our games (even in football). You don't see them playing two hand touch like they do at USJ or a Milan game behind the field goal posts. So, your youth isn't in our gymnasiums, they're not attending our games. It doesn't help that we have a coaching change every 3 years. I don't believe our coaches in the past taught the fundamentals in the game. There's no consistency in the high school program. We're not guaranteed to have the kids that are playing at out feeder schools. We do not have any summer camps/youth games in our gym. For those reasons we're paying the price.

There are almost as many small reasons (excuses) why programs are not successful as there are small details that winning programs do well. No coach was/is going to walk in that gym and transform the team that Northcutt agreed to coach into winners in a short time, nor will it be easy. The old adage of "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" could be applied to you, after you saying that it "isn't worth..." for you to support the program that you "wish" was relevant again... yet you bemoan the fact that youth isn't in the gym. Northcutt wouldn't be there if he didn't believe he could eventually field a competitive team...he may be wrong, but if he can't, I couldn't imagine who would attempt it that could. Be patient and support the program, you can't lose more than a few bucks and a couple of hours a week, and you might just enjoy the ride.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Brent McNeal (who used to be a teacher at North Side but an alum at South Side) is building a powerhouse with the Lady Hawks

We agree

Our administration staff put girls basketball (realistically all lady sports) in the backseat.

Snapshot of the years long administration at SS

- Principal: SS alum and former Lady Hawk bball player

- Athletic director: SS alum and former Lady Hawk bball player

- Lady's bball coach: : SS alum and former Hawk bball player

- Men's bball coach: : SS alum and former Hawk bball player

But I can't. Why? Because the team that I root for is the laughing stock of basketball. I don't attend games on a regular basis, it's not worth it anymore. 

Drive on down Hwy 45 to the Hawks nest. We'll save you a seat and be glad to have you!

As of Sunday Jan 16, 2022, the combined mens/ladies records dating back the last 2 years is 75-8.

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser