State Tournament

CuriousParent67

53 minutes ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Reeves officially sent the schedule to coaches, it will for sure be a 3 day tournament. 

This schedule sucks!!! 

In addition to the lunacy of a 3-day 16 man bracket, the Friday schedule is a joke!!!  Who's idea was it to have the semi-finals at noon?   How is that a money decision?   Every year for the last 6 or 7 years (minus  last year) I've left work Friday afternoon and driven to the cow palace, paid money to park and paid money for a ticket to watch the Semi Finals that evening.  I stay the evening and go back and watch Saturday. At noon I'm still at work!!  You're losing business T$$AA!!! I know I cannot be the only fan of the sport in this boat. 

3 hours ago, Midtnwrestling1 said:

Those are the worst 3 examples you could have used to defend your case. A swimmer doesn’t need another swimmer to make them faster. A bowler doesn’t need another bowler to make him get strikes. A wrestler needs another wrestler to help them become better. 

Playing devils advocate, but it doesn’t have as much to do with the size of school you are in but how much work you are willing to do.  My son and his teammates go to a small school and we have 3 Nationally ranked wrestlers and another that’s been in and out of the rankings.  Just work more, get up before school and lift, go to school practice, then drive an hour each way to do a club practice. Get home every night at 9pm then do the same thing the next day. That’s how you get better not just simply going to a bigger school. 

oh yea, you should also train year around. Can’t get good at anything only doing it 4 months a year. 

I personally don’t think the state champs in any division has an advantage over the other.  Big school is definitely deeper, but not necessarily better.  I personally would love to see a dual between small school state champs, large school and private champs. I think that would be super fun and extremely competitive. 

not blasting you just haven’t understood anyone that doesn’t want to compete against the best. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WRESTLERDAD76 said:

I personally think it would be a great money maker for a school to host a tournament with the top 2 from every division and  see who comes out on top . 

Once the season is over nobody wants to cut anymore. Every year we have this talk. Given, its usually the day after states but it never happens.

It's even been proposed to do a +5 scratch weight. Nobody wants to do it. 

1 hour ago, Mason422 said:

Playing devils advocate, but it doesn’t have as much to do with the size of school you are in but how much work you are willing to do.  My son and his teammates go to a small school and we have 3 Nationally ranked wrestlers and another that’s been in and out of the rankings.  Just work more, get up before school and lift, go to school practice, then drive an hour each way to do a club practice. Get home every night at 9pm then do the same thing the next day. That’s how you get better not just simply going to a bigger school. 

oh yea, you should also train year around. Can’t get good at anything only doing it 4 months a year. 

I personally don’t think the state champs in any division has an advantage over the other.  Big school is definitely deeper, but not necessarily better.  I personally would love to see a dual between small school state champs, large school and private champs. I think that would be super fun and extremely competitive. 

not blasting you just haven’t understood anyone that doesn’t want to compete against the best. 

I never said I wasn’t for combining. I’ve been traveling with my son for over a decade. Cali, New York, ND, Pa, Va Beach, Michigan, Ohio so we don’t shy away from competition. I simply stated he could have found better sports for his argument. 

• Upvote 1

I was not good at sports and was kicked off every team I ever made in high school and I simply want to say I'm blown away by how hard the Greeneville kids have worked over the years. Truly is nuts, I can't fathom it.  I had 1/100th their discipline in anything at their age.  Would have been great to have one 32 man bracket in the end to watch all of those type of kids who really really wanted to excel in wrestling face each other.   Also a shout out to Joe Kemmerer, dude was an incredible clinician and I enjoyed watching his "games" which all boiled down to 47,000 hours of live wrestling after 63,000 hours of drills (plus  "tap or take a nap").   LoL.  He really did raise the level in NE TN.  I'm going to miss watching all this.

Edited by oceansize42

3 hours ago, WRESTLERDAD76 said:

I personally think it would be a great money maker for a school to host a tournament with the top 2 from every division and  see who comes out on top . 

That’s been talked about forever and it will never happen!  

1.  When the state tournament is over everyone wants to stop making weight for a few weeks

2.  The D2 kids go to the National Preps the weekend after the state tournament.  After traveling for a national tournament those kids don’t want to make weight again for a local tournament.

3.  Oklahoma and a few other states have tried this and it was not successful

Just place everyone back together in a 32 man bracket to determine who the real state champion is that year.

Edited by cbg

9 hours ago, cbg said:

I have never understood why anyone would be against having one state champion for individual sports unless they are selfish.  If you are the best swimmer at 50m, wrestler at 285lb, bowler, sprinter at 100m, etc… you are the best.  We have done nothing more than raise two generations of soft individuals by telling them they are not good enough to compete against people with more advantages.  The fact is that when these young athletes become adults they will have to compete against those same individuals for jobs.  Place everyone back together for one true individual state champion and don’t keep team scores.  

In my opinion, this kind of thinking is why wrestling is not growing amongst high school age boys and why wrestling was almost eliminated from the Olympics.   Boys participation numbers are slipping (or just barely staying steady) over the last few years.   How many NCAA programs have been lost in the last three decades? 

The whole idea of "Oh boy!!  Let's see who the best is!!" is not where we need to be these days.  If you want to see that, go to Super 32, VA Beach, The Grappler, Fargo, etc.  A lot of people from Tennessee take their kids to those tournaments.  (Especially those Greenville kids yall are talking about who are all doing so well).  

No one at Super 32 cares that you the best kid from Tennessee in your weight class.  All the kids at those tournaments are good.  I promise you the fact that you are a state champ from TN won't matter once your bout number comes up.

I have to ask, why trade what you want right now for what you really want the most?  I would love to see the D1 champs vs the D2 champs too, but I want wrestling to grow and get more popular more.

14 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

In my opinion, this kind of thinking is why wrestling is not growing amongst high school age boys and why wrestling was almost eliminated from the Olympics.   Boys participation numbers are slipping (or just barely staying steady) over the last few years.   How many NCAA programs have been lost in the last three decades? 

The whole idea of "Oh boy!!  Let's see who the best is!!" is not where we need to be these days.  If you want to see that, go to Super 32, VA Beach, The Grappler, Fargo, etc.  A lot of people from Tennessee take their kids to those tournaments.  (Especially those Greenville kids yall are talking about who are all doing so well).  

No one at Super 32 cares that you the best kid from Tennessee in your weight class.  All the kids at those tournaments are good.  I promise you the fact that you are a state champ from TN won't matter once your bout number comes up.

I have to ask, why trade what you want right now for what you really want the most?  I would love to see the D1 champs vs the D2 champs too, but I want wrestling to grow and get more popular more.

Its possible to want both. Those two aren't mutually exclusive. You can have pride in a state championship in TN and still want to win in North Carolina in October.