State Tournament

CuriousParent67

17 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

In my opinion, this kind of thinking is why wrestling is not growing amongst high school age boys and why wrestling was almost eliminated from the Olympics.   Boys participation numbers are slipping (or just barely staying steady) over the last few years.   How many NCAA programs have been lost in the last three decades? 

The whole idea of "Oh boy!!  Let's see who the best is!!" is not where we need to be these days.  If you want to see that, go to Super 32, VA Beach, The Grappler, Fargo, etc.  A lot of people from Tennessee take their kids to those tournaments.  (Especially those Greenville kids yall are talking about who are all doing so well).  

No one at Super 32 cares that you the best kid from Tennessee in your weight class.  All the kids at those tournaments are good.  I promise you the fact that you are a state champ from TN won't matter once your bout number comes up.

I have to ask, why trade what you want right now for what you really want the most?  I would love to see the D1 champs vs the D2 champs too, but I want wrestling to grow and get more popular more.

The only reason that wrestling has grown any is due to the population growth in Tennessee.  It truly has very little to do with the separation of D1 large schools, D1 small schools and D2!  Even with the the separation the population numbers in Tennessee do not justify having 3 state champions crowned in wrestling.  Like i have said before the only thing more ludicrous than having 3 state champions in wrestling is having 9 state champions in football.  

FYI the reason that wrestling was almost dropped from the Olympics was due to FIFA and the International Olympic Committee both being corrupt. Both groups were holding a gun to each other’s head trying to receive a bribe.  

22 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

In my opinion, this kind of thinking is why wrestling is not growing amongst high school age boys and why wrestling was almost eliminated from the Olympics.   Boys participation numbers are slipping (or just barely staying steady) over the last few years.   How many NCAA programs have been lost in the last three decades? 

The whole idea of "Oh boy!!  Let's see who the best is!!" is not where we need to be these days.  If you want to see that, go to Super 32, VA Beach, The Grappler, Fargo, etc.  A lot of people from Tennessee take their kids to those tournaments.  (Especially those Greenville kids yall are talking about who are all doing so well).  

No one at Super 32 cares that you the best kid from Tennessee in your weight class.  All the kids at those tournaments are good.  I promise you the fact that you are a state champ from TN won't matter once your bout number comes up.

I have to ask, why trade what you want right now for what you really want the most?  I would love to see the D1 champs vs the D2 champs too, but I want wrestling to grow and get more popular more.

Here we go the idea of every body should get a trophy just because they walk out on the mat. That’s why they have beginner tournaments and JV state to have opportunities for kids that maybe aren’t normally gonna place at State or a Top 100. But the State tournament is to find out which kids are the top kids in the state. This whole excuse of wrestling is not growing because of competition is bs. Wrestling is a tough sport that doesn’t bring in a lot money and that’s why it suffers in numbers and growth. It’s absolutely what’s wrong with this world now that people think it’s not fair to other kids to find out exactly who is the best period. Quit with every body needs a trophy bs for a sport to grow. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RMC said:

If you want more chances to win a state medal.....move down here to Georgia.....pick one of the 7 classifications. I'd rather have like the old days with 1 classification.....heck even California only has 1.   

The United States of America is now made up of a group of people that expect a trophy  regardless of how they do in the tournament.  A close friend of mine that is a retired colonel in the Army said that we have now raised two generations of soft people.  The cream always rises to the top!

Edited by cbg

"But the State tournament is to find out which kids are the top kids in the state"

Yes.  That happens no matter how many kids are in the bracket.  Right?
No one said that everyone needs a trophy.   Nothing of the sort.  What I am saying is that wrestling needs to increase in popularity, participation, and visibility.  Having smaller numbers of kids at the state championship events runs counter to those ideas.

Some of you would probably be happy to  just send the sectional winners to state.  Then you can have 4 man brackets with only the best kids.  Boy wouldnt that be awesome.  Heck, maybe Brentwood or Franklin would just do it in their gym after school and it wouldnt even take three days.  smh...

13 hours ago, RaisingAbeast22 said:

Here we go the idea of every body should get a trophy just because they walk out on the mat. That’s why they have beginner tournaments and JV state to have opportunities for kids that maybe aren’t normally gonna place at State or a Top 100. But the State tournament is to find out which kids are the top kids in the state. This whole excuse of wrestling is not growing because of competition is bs. Wrestling is a tough sport that doesn’t bring in a lot money and that’s why it suffers in numbers and growth. It’s absolutely what’s wrong with this world now that people think it’s not fair to other kids to find out exactly who is the best period. Quit with every body needs a trophy bs for a sport to grow. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

"But the State tournament is to find out which kids are the top kids in the state"

Yes.  That happens no matter how many kids are in the bracket.  Right?
No one said that everyone needs a trophy.   Nothing of the sort.  What I am saying is that wrestling needs to increase in popularity, participation, and visibility.  Having smaller numbers of kids at the state championship events runs counter to those ideas.

Some of you would probably be happy to  just send the sectional winners to state.  Then you can have 4 man brackets with only the best kids.  Boy wouldnt that be awesome.  Heck, maybe Brentwood or Franklin would just do it in their gym after school and it wouldnt even take three days.  smh...

4 man bracket wtf are you even talking about. Nobody said less kids everybody just wants a single state champ. Make it a 32 man bracket of all the kids from every division combined into one. One state champ. And if you really want just make it 64 if that makes you happy but One state champ period. 

2 minutes ago, RaisingAbeast22 said:

4 man bracket wtf are you even talking about. Nobody said less kids everybody just wants a single state champ. Make it a 32 man bracket of all the kids from every division combined into one. One state champ. And if you really want just make it 64 if that makes you happy but One state champ period. 

Honestly its like beating a dead horse at this point. It'll never change. Might as well just accept it and figure out how to help grow what we got. 

At least we got double elimination and not that stupid pull through we had for years.  

• Like 1