State Tournament

CuriousParent67

3 hours ago, WrestlinFan said:

https://tssaasports.com/event/detail.cfm?id=20210702

Individual state schedule is posted. 3 days w round of 16 and qtrs on Thursday, semis on Friday, and finals on Saturday. That doesn't seem to be a lot of wrestling each day for a team that sends a couple of kids to states. 

As a parent of a wrestler that has a good shot at the finals, I probably won't go out until Saturday at this point, which sucks.

Post above is right, no one is eliminated on 1st day.

Yeah a 16 man bracket can run in one day and this is about nothing more than money. Three days of weigh ins are terrible for the kids with hard weight cuts and why did they change the bracket size if it’s still three days? 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, dontstopbelieving said:

It is back at the cow palace this year. Apparently a 3 day tournament with only 3 divisions being wrestled at it, and all 3 will be 16 man brackets. The big question is how and why is it three days?!

It’s three (3) day’s so that the T$$AA can make more money.  If the public schools really begin to complain to both the TSSAA staff members and the TSSAA Board of Control things will change.  IMO, no 16 man bracket should ever be a 3 day tournament.  

I am still standing behind the idea of placing everyone back together and using a 32 man bracket to find out what wrestlers are the real studs.  

Edited by cbg

The folks that have made that decision to turn a 16 man bracket into a 3 day tourney should be fired for incompetence. Have they even considered the repercussions that this is gonna cause the kids, school and the parents?  Will cost each family who wants to watch their kid compete about 1k as well. 

The cost for the school alone is gonna be astronomical, for those who are traveling from a long ways away they will have to spend 3 nights in a hotel at a min and maybe 4. That will cost most schools 5-6k. Add in the cost of a bus driver who gets paid while they sit, the money it takes to feed the kids and this one tourney will exceed most schools entire wrestling budget. 

let’s not even talk about the kids having to miss 3 days of school. What’s the impact on grades with that much time away?  

The kids who make it to the finals will wrestle 2 matches Thursday, one on Friday and one on Saturday. So in a 72 hour time kids will weigh in 3 times and wrestle for a maximum of 24 mins. 

Whoever made this decision obviously hasn’t ever had to mange a tight budget to keep a program alive. This is  absolutely a terrible decision. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

The folks that have made that decision to turn a 16 man bracket into a 3 day tourney should be fired for incompetence. Have they even considered the repercussions that this is gonna cause the kids, school and the parents?  Will cost each family who wants to watch their kid compete about 1k as well. 

The cost for the school alone is gonna be astronomical, for those who are traveling from a long ways away they will have to spend 3 nights in a hotel at a min and maybe 4. That will cost most schools 5-6k. Add in the cost of a bus driver who gets paid while they sit, the money it takes to feed the kids and this one tourney will exceed most schools entire wrestling budget. 

let’s not even talk about the kids having to miss 3 days of school. What’s the impact on grades with that much time away?  

The kids who make it to the finals will wrestle 2 matches Thursday, one on Friday and one on Saturday. So in a 72 hour time kids will weigh in 3 times and wrestle for a maximum of 24 mins. 

Whoever made this decision obviously hasn’t ever had to mange a tight budget to keep a program alive. This is  absolutely a terrible decision. 

Unfortunately the probably do understand the repercussions but financial benefits out weigh the best interest of the parents, kids and coaches. They see $$$$ and how much will be brought to the area. 

51 minutes ago, Midtnwrestling1 said:

Unfortunately the probably do understand the repercussions but financial benefits out weigh the best interest of the parents, kids and coaches. They see $$$$ and how much will be brought to the area. 

The entire state would probably be happier just donating 500-1000 bucks per school to help them make their  precious money.  It would save the schools and parents a ton of money.  This is just an example of greed and stupidity. I truly wish I knew who the decision maker on this was and a good contact. Everyone on this forum should let them have it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

The entire state would probably be happier just donating 500-1000 bucks per school to help them make their  precious money.  It would save the schools and parents a ton of money.  This is just an example of greed and stupidity. I truly wish I knew who the decision maker on this was and a good contact. Everyone on this forum should let them have it. 

I have been saying it for 25+ years, the TSSAA is operated by a group of individuals trained in academics and they don’t have a clue as to how someone should operate a multi million dollar business.  The championship products that the TSSAA displays appears as if it is for a group of 5-12 year old kids.  Very little if anything is done in a professional manner.  The D2 state wrestling tournament will be held at Montgomery Bell Academy and my guess is that it will be a much better facility than the Cow Palace.  

5 minutes ago, Appvol said:

North Carolina state tournament is 3 days at the Greensboro Coliseum starting February 17th. 2a,3a,and 4a start on Thursday. 1a starts on Friday. They have semis on Friday for all classes. The finals are on Saturday at 4pm.

North Carolina, North Carolina, North Carolina, are you talking about wrestling and North Carolina?  North Carolina is a basketball state!  Just poking the bear but if you want to see a great state tournament go to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa or even better California.  For all the crazy things that happen in California I will say that they do a great job with their state wrestling tournament.