State Tournament

CuriousParent67

19 hours ago, Mason422 said:

Well said and like I keep saying one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. 3 days for a 16 man bracket?  Really??? And yes more kids should come to state. I would completely support a 32 man bracket 

Would you support placing everyone back together in a 32 man bracket for a single state wrestling champion in Tennessee.  Let’s see who the real studs are!

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Would you support placing everyone back together in a 32 man bracket for a single state wrestling champion in Tennessee.  Let’s see who the real studs are!

I would support that, but I understand why they have different divisions. For my own selfishness I would like to see one but not sure if that’s what’s best. 

That was a very non answer ha ha 

10 hours ago, Mason422 said:

I would support that, but I understand why they have different divisions. For my own selfishness I would like to see one but not sure if that’s what’s best. 

That was a very non answer ha ha 

I have never understood why anyone would be against having one state champion for individual sports unless they are selfish.  If you are the best swimmer at 50m, wrestler at 285lb, bowler, sprinter at 100m, etc… you are the best.  We have done nothing more than raise two generations of soft individuals by telling them they are not good enough to compete against people with more advantages.  The fact is that when these young athletes become adults they will have to compete against those same individuals for jobs.  Place everyone back together for one true individual state champion and don’t keep team scores.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I have never understood why anyone would be against having one state champion for individual sports unless they are selfish.  If you are the best swimmer at 50m, wrestler at 285lb, bowler, sprinter at 100m, etc… you are the best.  We have done nothing more than raise two generations of soft individuals by telling them they are not good enough to compete against people with more advantages.  The fact is that when these young athletes become adults they will have to compete against those same individuals for jobs.  Place everyone back together for one true individual state champion and don’t keep team scores.  

Those are the worst 3 examples you could have used to defend your case. A swimmer doesn’t need another swimmer to make them faster. A bowler doesn’t need another bowler to make him get strikes. A wrestler needs another wrestler to help them become better. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Midtnwrestling1 said:

Those are the worst 3 examples you could have used to defend your case. A swimmer doesn’t need another swimmer to make them faster. A bowler doesn’t need another bowler to make him get strikes. A wrestler needs another wrestler to help them become better. 

Please, stop making excuses and just compete!  If you are the best at wrestling you are the best regardless of what size or type of school you attend.  As a former public school kid I am telling you that we are not doing these kids any favors by telling them they are not good enough to compete against the kids from another school.  

Edited by cbg

14 minutes ago, cbg said:

Please, stop making excuses and just compete!  If you are the best at wrestling you are the best regardless of what size or type of school you attend.  As a former public school kid I am telling you that we are not doing these kids any favors by telling them they are not good enough to compete against the kids from another school.  

I dont think they were making excuses. They were just saying those examples are bad. 

19 hours ago, Ummmno said:

I think that kinda takes away from the finals matches. Those should be the only matches going on. They earned the right to have all eyes on them at that time. 

Maybe wrestle all the other rounds immediately before then a quick change of the mats and go straight into finals. 

I would agree with you if it was a different venue.   I feel like the kids wrestling are 50 yards or more away from the crowd the way it is now, so yes all eyes are on them, but I wonder if they can even hear the crowd cheering for them.   Plus, I know I am different in most in this preference, but I enjoy seeing the entire weight class featured at once.  I enjoyed that part of the tournament last year, so I would do it again.   But since we are pack on the dirt floor this year, I'd have the finals on the ends-  in the 4 corners of the cow palace where the crowds can be up close to them.  Then would have the 3rd and 5th place matches on the other mats in the middle of the floor where the seating is more limited.  

On 2/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, mat73557 said:

Sub-State - No reason for it.  I have yet to hear what was broken about our old system.  

Can I ask what area of the state you're from?  I'm starting to notice the feelings of the sectional round varies drastically and the pattern seems to be based on logistics.