4A-6A TWSA All State teams

HTV

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

I guess we should get rid of all the D3, D2, NAIA, and Championship Subdivision too and every Bowl game thats not the Final 4 :rolleyes:.  Heck lets get rid of everything thats not the NFL since those would be the best teams and then you can have your One True Champion each year with the Super Bowl

What's your address and I will have someone send you a participation trophy!  You can only have one true champion

41 minutes ago, cbg said:

What's your address and I will have someone send you a participation trophy!  You can only have one true champion

I didn't grow up in the participation trophy days but I do find it funny that you bring it up now when Tennessee along with every other state have been doing all state teams by classifications for forever even when there were only 3 classifications and so have other states.  If you want to change it contact the TSSAA and plead your case along with the NCAA since they name all american teams for each Division and more than just a 1st team also.  We are talking about All state teams not One true Champs which is a team thing not an individual award.

If they did do One All State team what would be your qualifications to make it? Best Stats? Most College Offers?  Playing on the Best team?  Unless each team played each other, which isn't feasible, who is to say a player in 1a isn't as good as someone in 6a?  Prime example would be Patrick Willis playing at  Hollow Rock-Bruceton Central High School a smaller school would he had made your All state team since he played against less competitive teams than say a Brentwood Academy?

45 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I didn't grow up in the participation trophy days but I do find it funny that you bring it up now when Tennessee along with every other state have been doing all state teams by classifications for forever even when there were only 3 classifications and so have other states.  If you want to change it contact the TSSAA and plead your case along with the NCAA since they name all american teams for each Division and more than just a 1st team also.  We are talking about All state teams not One true Champs which is a team thing not an individual award.

If they did do One All State team what would be your qualifications to make it? Best Stats? Most College Offers?  Playing on the Best team?  Unless each team played each other, which isn't feasible, who is to say a player in 1a isn't as good as someone in 6a?  Prime example would be Patrick Willis playing at  Hollow Rock-Bruceton Central High School a smaller school would he had made your All state team since he played against less competitive teams than say a Brentwood Academy?

Let’s understand something:  I fully understand that it’s not a reasonable idea for a small rural school like Collinwood to be playing Oakland.  What I don’t appreciate is that with a population of around 7 million people we have nine (9) divisions (6 in the public school division and 3 in the private school division) in Tennessee high school football. Based on population alone there is no reason to have more than four or five divisions for football and that is if the public schools and private schools are combined.  Again, it has become nothing more than a participation trophy when you have teams winning a state championship and there are only around fifty teams in the division.  If you go to a total of 5 divisions for football and only take them top 2 teams in each district to the state playoffs in football you will not only see the competition become better but the large crowds will return.    On another note I have never understood why you would have more than one state champion in individual sports.  If you are the best in golf, tennis, wrestling, track & field, etc… you are the best regardless of what the school enrollment is 100 or 3000. The lessons that we are teaching the young people today is not to work hard, be a great teammate  and see what happens but to legislate your way to a championship.  

Edited by cbg

31 minutes ago, cbg said:

Let’s understand something:  I fully understand that it’s not a reasonable idea for a small rural school like Collinwood to be playing Oakland.  What I don’t appreciate is that with a population of around 7 million people we have nine (9) divisions (6 in the public school division and 3 in the private school division) in Tennessee high school football. Based on population alone there is no reason to have more than four or five divisions for football and that is if the public schools and private schools are combined.  Again, it has become nothing more than a participation trophy when you have teams winning a state championship and there are only around fifty teams in the division.  If you go to a total of 5 divisions for football and only take them top 2 teams in each district to the state playoffs in football you will not only see the competition become better but the large crowds will return.    On another note I have never understood why you would have more than one state champion in individual sports.  If you are the best in golf, tennis, wrestling, track & field, etc… you are the best regardless of what the school enrollment is 100 or 3000. The lessons that we are teaching the young people today is not to work hard, be a great teammate  and see what happens but to legislate your way to a championship.  

Your complaining about things that have long been in place so your argument holds no water and this idea of going back to 5 classes is a fairy tale. The idea that kids dont work as hard just because there are more classes is an insult to them

Edited by MidTennFootball

Way to go to ALL the players who made the All-State teams. You don't deserve all the comments about you living in the trophy generation. Here is a fact most people do not know,

The last trophy I ever received for playing school sports was a plaque given to everybody  for playing Junior High School Basketball at Oak Ridge Jefferson Junior High School in 1978. I remember at the time I was proud to get it but that lasted only a few months. I remember the fun I had playing ever since however.

Who knew the trophy generation is almost 60 years old

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Your complaining about things that have long been in place so your argument holds no water and this idea of going back to 5 classes is a fairy tale. The idea that kids dont work as hard just because there are more classes is an insult to them

Just because something has been in place for a long time does not make it correct.  Yes, I understand that going back to five classifications is a fairytale but only because of school administrators and coaches that would rather legislate their team to a state tournament while competing in a division with less than 60 schools.  Again, go to work because at some point in time you are going to have to compete against not only the best in your local area, in Tennessee but the very best in the world if you are ever going to make it to the top.  Why do we want to shelter and reward mediocrity instead of expecting only the very best?

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

Just because something has been in place for a long time does not make it correct.  Yes, I understand that going back to five classifications is a fairytale but only because of school administrators and coaches that would rather legislate their team to a state tournament while competing in a division with less than 60 schools.  Again, go to work because at some point in time you are going to have to compete against not only the best in your local area, in Tennessee but the very best in the world if you are ever going to make it to the top.  Why do we want to shelter and reward mediocrity instead of expecting only the very best?

There should be some exceptions like a league for kids with disabilities and all get trophies. Well, I think there should be. But some of you are probably so hard corp alpha male that only Willie Mays should have been awarded baseball trophies in the 50's and 60's.

Oh, back to the 5A list.  I was surprised Jacob Berven LB Oak Ridge did not make the list. But I can live with it.

15 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

There should be some exceptions like a league for kids with disabilities and all get trophies. Well, I think there should be. But some of you are probably so hard corp alpha male that only Willie Mays should have been awarded baseball trophies in the 50's and 60's.

Oh, back to the 5A list.  I was surprised Jacob Berven LB Oak Ridge did not make the list. But I can live with it.

The following plan for football would make it much more competitive for everyone: (both public and private schools are placed back together into one division)

Class A:  small public schools (No charter, private, open zoned or magnet schools)

Class AA:  public schools, small private schools that offer no financial aid or work study, open zoned public schools and charter schools

Class AAA:  public schools, private schools that offer no financial aid or work study, charter schools, open zoned public schools and magnet schools

Class AAAA:  public schools, small private schools that offer financial aid, private schools that offer only work study, charter schools, magnet schools and open zoned public schools

Class AAAAA:  large public schools, large private schools that offer financial aid & work study, magnet schools and open zoned public schools

Go back to 16 districts across the State of Tennessee and take the top 2 teams out of each district to the playoffs.  IMO, this plan will never be considered, not due to it being a bad plan but because it only rewards programs/communities that work hard to be the very best.  This plan would also place close to 90 teams in each division.  People should understand that competition is not a bad thing and actually brings out the best in everyone.  As a former public school athlete and someone that is in private business, I truly find it appalling that in Tennessee we are sending the not so subtle message to our public school students that they are not good enough to compete for a state championship in athletics against the private schools.   

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cbg said:

The following plan for football would make it much more competitive for everyone: (both public and private schools are placed back together into one division)

Class A:  small public schools (No charter, private, open zoned or magnet schools)

Class AA:  public schools, small private schools that offer no financial aid or work study, open zoned public schools and charter schools

Class AAA:  public schools, private schools that offer no financial aid or work study, charter schools, open zoned public schools and magnet schools

Class AAAA:  public schools, small private schools that offer financial aid, private schools that offer only work study, charter schools, magnet schools and open zoned public schools

Class AAAAA:  large public schools, large private schools that offer financial aid & work study, magnet schools and open zoned public schools

Go back to 16 districts across the State of Tennessee and take the top 2 teams out of each district to the playoffs.  IMO, this plan will never be considered, not due to it being a bad plan but because it only rewards programs/communities that work hard to be the very best.  This plan would also place close to 90 teams in each division.  People should understand that competition is not a bad thing and actually brings out the best in everyone.  As a former public school athlete and someone that is in private business, I truly find it appalling that in Tennessee we are sending the no so subtle message to our public school students that they are not good enough to compete for a state championship in athletics against the private schools.   

First let me say that I agree with you that there should be fewer classes in football in Tennessee. I see two problems with your plan. (Granted they are not huge problems and could be worked around). 

1.  There were 334 football playing high schools in TN last year. You proposed 5 classes and said there would be roughly 90 teams in each class. With 334 schools it would actually be 68-69 schools per class. 
2. If you limited the smallest class to small public’s that weren’t open zone you wouldn’t even come close to 68-69 schools in this class. The vast majority of schools in this state are open zone. If you count the schools that are truly closed zone (meaning they allow no kids from out of the zone under no circumstances) you may have 20-30 schools.  

Just my two cents but I like the direction you are headed with this. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE
  • Upvote 1