Westview at Gibson County

dmm88

How many seniors does Gibson Co have? I know I saw four banners hanging the other night but I didn't know if all four were players that got playing time. Westview's inside girl is their only senior this year that gets quality minutes besides one other that comes off the bench some. It should be a fun battle for the next few years with both teams having solid middle school programs!

52 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

How many seniors does Gibson Co have? I know I saw four banners hanging the other night but I didn't know if all four were players that got playing time. Westview's inside girl is their only senior this year that gets quality minutes besides one other that comes off the bench some. It should be a fun battle for the next few years with both teams having solid middle school programs!

Gibson County has four seniors. Haley Thompson, Regan McVay, Madison Hart and Ayden Carrol.  Carrol and Hart gets most of the minutes, but McVay has gotten more minutes than Thompson as of late. Thompson had a separated shoulder against Upperman at Lebanon camp in early November and is in and out. Gibson County’s middle school programs are really good, but I will be totally honest with you. We have  had really good players that won’t play in HS. We have had some players that we thought would be big time players that never play. Between softball and players that really don’t have the dedication that it takes to be a HS player has been the story. And GC is not opposed to softball players, but some just do the travel softball thing and that is their world. Wilkins is a great coach and he offers opportunity after opportunity for these kids to play ball throughout the year even the middle school kids. Some just don’t wont to play in HS. Same with football and other sports. And another thing. You would be surprised and there are story after story of players that stuck it out that wasn’t the most talented that have become solid contributors for GC throughout the years. 

Edited by pioneer42

We see a lot of Westview’s players in the Fall League at GC. Some of them you don’t see every day, but the dark headed player with the pony tail hitting the three’s has been hitting three’s in the GC gym a while. She has caught everyone’s eye for a couple of years in the Fall. We might be better off playing y’all in another gym. Lol. She likes Gibson County’s gym obviously. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:31 AM, pioneer42 said:

Gibson County has four seniors. Haley Thompson, Regan McVay, Madison Hart and Ayden Carrol.  Carrol and Hart gets most of the minutes, but McVay has gotten more minutes than Thompson as of late. Thompson had a separated shoulder against Upperman at Lebanon camp in early November and is in and out. Gibson County’s middle school programs are really good, but I will be totally honest with you. We have  had really good players that won’t play in HS. We have had some players that we thought would be big time players that never play. Between softball and players that really don’t have the dedication that it takes to be a HS player has been the story. And GC is not opposed to softball players, but some just do the travel softball thing and that is their world. Wilkins is a great coach and he offers opportunity after opportunity for these kids to play ball throughout the year even the middle school kids. Some just don’t wont to play in HS. Same with football and other sports. And another thing. You would be surprised and there are story after story of players that stuck it out that wasn’t the most talented that have become solid contributors for GC throughout the years. 

I completely understand that. You see in high school who the true players by what they are willing to put in to the program. Some in middle school are just in it for the social life. Westview is blessed with a good middle school coach and program and gets at least 2-3 solid contributors each year that buy into the program and feed it right away. There is a 7th grader right now averaging 18-20 points a game that can flat out handle the ball and has a nice pull up outside shot as well. It does help your program when you have a coach in the younger grades that has lived in the town their whole life and knows what the program and tradition is all about and both Gibson Co and Martin have been blessed with that! I hope the old rivalry is born again between Westview and Gibson Co. Those used to be some packed house fun games back 10-15 years ago!

2 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

I completely understand that. You see in high school who the true players by what they are willing to put in to the program. Some in middle school are just in it for the social life. Westview is blessed with a good middle school coach and program and gets at least 2-3 solid contributors each year that buy into the program and feed it right away. There is a 7th grader right now averaging 18-20 points a game that can flat out handle the ball and has a nice pull up outside shot as well. It does help your program when you have a coach in the younger grades that has lived in the town their whole life and knows what the program and tradition is all about and both Gibson Co and Martin have been blessed with that! I hope the old rivalry is born again between Westview and Gibson Co. Those used to be some packed house fun games back 10-15 years ago!

Both programs have a great culture in place and have great traditions and great coaches. Westview and GC always used to have their games circled back in the day when they were in District together and certainly will now. Westview has always been a great program and we have the utmost respect for. My family used to really follow the Reechis girls at Union and Westview. Amber especially because she worked with my niece at numerous camps at Union and she taught her a lot about shooting the basketball and playing basketball at a young age. I expect packed houses and a good clean rivalry as both schools have storied programs and look to be on a great foundation for the future. 

• Like 2