Prayers for the Peabody Football Family

pioneer42

Lee Hayes was a true character.  I have gotten to know him the last few years since McKenzie and Peabody had renewed the series. My two kids and Lees kids, specifically Mary Grace, attend church camp together and CPYC.  Lee and I would always chat during football season and we had a mutual respect for one another.  Never once did we let the game get bigger than us.  We always kept it civil. Ben’s senior year, when the tide and the Rebels went to double overtime, near the end of the 4th quarter when it looked as though the Rebels were going to win, Lee came out of the middle of the pressbox.  As he passed myself and my radio partner, I could see not the face of a football fan but the face of a Dad who was watching his son play his last game.  Well, we all know how that ended.  But from what I know of Lee, he loved his kids and Golden Tide football.  I will miss our banter moving forward.  When the Rebels went to Chatt this past season, Lee Hayes sent me a message and said Go Rebels.  Bring it home. We will miss you Lee Hayes and you better believe when the Tide and Rebels bump heads next year, I will make sure there is a huge shout out for you.  As a hard core Vol fan, it is hard for me to say “Roll Tide” but for you Lee, I say it. 
 Rest easy friend. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Lee Hayes was a true character.  I have gotten to know him the last few years since McKenzie and Peabody had renewed the series. My two kids and Lees kids, specifically Mary Grace, attend church camp together and CPYC.  Lee and I would always chat during football season and we had a mutual respect for one another.  Never once did we let the game get bigger than us.  We always kept it civil. Ben’s senior year, when the tide and the Rebels went to double overtime, near the end of the 4th quarter when it looked as though the Rebels were going to win, Lee came out of the middle of the pressbox.  As he passed myself and my radio partner, I could see not the face of a football fan but the face of a Dad who was watching his son play his last game.  Well, we all know how that ended.  But from what I know of Lee, he loved his kids and Golden Tide football.  I will miss our banter moving forward.  When the Rebels went to Chatt this past season, Lee Hayes sent me a message and said Go Rebels.  Bring it home. We will miss you Lee Hayes and you better believe when the Tide and Rebels bump heads next year, I will make sure there is a huge shout out for you.  As a hard core Vol fan, it is hard for me to say “Roll Tide” but for you Lee, I say it. 
 Rest easy friend. 

Great post. He was a good guy for sure. Folks like Lee Hayes are a lot the reason Gold Balls are won. Behind the scenes great alumni and boosters help pave the way. He will be missed for sure. He Loved the Golden Tide like I do the Lady Pioneers. Prayers to Peabody and his family. Very sad day.

You know the feeling I have every day having been blessed to have been involved with a family member winning a Gold Ball. Rewatching videos when the clock  hits zero, rewatching the starting lineups in the final game all makes tears every time. So glad Lee got to see his son win three Gold Balls. I know his passion for the game and I thank the good Lord every day I got to win one and I thank the good Lord he got to experience 3 with his son. I know he was so proud and I know the every day high he got to experience.