Halls Wrestling is Stealing their District

YoungBuck

9 hours ago, Honeydewmelonnnnn said:

Word on the street is that Clinton was not “weight ready” for district. Has to be wrestled within a certain number assigned week per TSSAA. Also that Clinton left before they could argue they wanted a true second after region finals.  Coach Sayne is well respected. Bold to say that he would “steal” a district title that most would argue they would have anyways. 

Also, I’d say we owe it to kids to not just assume a team would win but rather actually winning. If this was football or basketball we wouldn’t even be having this conversation 

• Upvote 1

Districts were scheduled to be at Fulton last week.  Knox County schools were closed due illness so they had to find another venue.  Coach Sayne was pro-active and tried to find a place for the match.  Anderson County High School, which is located between both Clinton and Halls  and was hosting a AA district dual that evening, agreed to host the small school duals as well  (This happened a couple of years ago when Pigeon Forge hosted both the small school and large school region duals when Knox County was not allowed to host).  Coach Sayne relayed this information to both the Fulton and Clinton Coaches. Fulton decided to Forfeit instead, and the Clinton coach claimed that this was too late notice, he thought they would not wrestle and his guys could not make weight in time (aka... he forfeited).   This was the rational used for Halls having the 1 seed, and Clinton having the 2 seed.  GIven the circumstances, Halls agreed to wrestle Clinton for a true 2nd if they lost to Gibbs (which they did). This was the story told to me from a pretty reliable source when I was in the crow last night. Also, I watched Clinton pack up and leave before the end of the Halls and Gibbs match.  

Yes the District rescheduling was short notice, but do not claim that the man that took the initiative to find the solution to the problem is the one at fault. And the concept of wrestling at Anderson County is not as outlandish as you claim it to be, given the proximity of the schools and the fact that it was a precedent set just two years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

Districts were scheduled to be at Fulton last week.  Knox County schools were closed due illness so they had to find another venue.  Coach Sayne was pro-active and tried to find a place for the match.  Anderson County High School, which is located between both Clinton and Halls  and was hosting a AA district dual that evening, agreed to host the small school duals as well  (This happened a couple of years ago when Pigeon Forge hosted both the small school and large school region duals when Knox County was not allowed to host).  Coach Sayne relayed this information to both the Fulton and Clinton Coaches. Fulton decided to Forfeit instead, and the Clinton coach claimed that this was too late notice, he thought they would not wrestle and his guys could not make weight in time (aka... he forfeited).   This was the rational used for Halls having the 1 seed, and Clinton having the 2 seed.  GIven the circumstances, Halls agreed to wrestle Clinton for a true 2nd if they lost to Gibbs (which they did). This was the story told to me from a pretty reliable source when I was in the crow last night. Also, I watched Clinton pack up and leave before the end of the Halls and Gibbs match.  

Yes the District rescheduling was short notice, but do not claim that the man that took the initiative to find the solution to the problem is the one at fault. And the concept of wrestling at Anderson County is not as outlandish as you claim it to be, given the proximity of the schools and the fact that it was a precedent set just two years ago. 

I can assure you that Halls did not agree to a true second match.  In this sport, kids don't eat all day to maintain weight, you know that, and being at home adds to the difficulties of that.  The Clinton coach made a choice to tell it was canceled when Fulton dropped the match.  Kids started eating, drinking, relaxing and then the halls coach "was proactive" in finding this match.  If he cared about kids and cared about the sport, he would of honored the true second regardless because it was the right thing to do but instead he was scared of the narrative that little ol Clinton had a chance to kick Halls out of region duals.  I have heard from a reliable source that the AD at Clinton was on the phone with the AD and head principal at Halls until 4:30 yesterday begging for the true second match to take place but they would not and did not agree. 

Because of that, the AD at Gibbs said that whatever is going to happen after the championship match last night(i.e. the true second) it needed to be agreed upon before arriving to Gibbs.  Since there was no agreement, Clinton knew going in to the duals the true second wasn't an option and left after their match.  

Clinton took the high road last night because I assume they know how special region duals can be for any wrestler and did not want a conflict between two teams to tarnish that for all involved. Trust me when I say this that there is a large group of wrestling coaches in this area right now that have lost a ton of respect for coach Sayne and as for the folks I know, they will no longer be taking their kids to Halls in the summer to be involved with coach Sayne in any way.  

Also, I am sure you are aware of district rules that all coaches have to agree to the change of venue or on anything for that matter so just because Halls said that this is what is going to happen, doesn't mean it is supposed too if the other district coaches don't agree. The Halls coach does not make the decisions by himself for the entire district so that fact that the Clinton coach didn't agree doesn't make it a forfeit, it makes it where no district truly took place. 

1 hour ago, YoungBuck said:

Clinton took the high road last night because I assume they know how special region duals can be for any wrestler and did not want a conflict between two teams to tarnish that for all involved. Trust me when I say this that there is a large group of wrestling coaches in this area right now that have lost a ton of respect for coach Sayne and as for the folks I know, they will no longer be taking their kids to Halls in the summer to be involved with coach Sayne in any way.  

I for one am not disappointed in Sayne and I'm sure they're not concerned. As a previous poster has already stated, they run a class program and one of the best around here. Sounds like butthurt from a mid tier program to me...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

I for one am not disappointed in Sayne and I'm sure they're not concerned. As a previous poster has already stated, they run a class program and one of the best around here. Sounds like butthurt from a mid tier program to me...

So because the have won alot, other teams and kids should just suck it up when something unfair happens?

14 minutes ago, YoungBuck said:

So because the have won alot, other teams and kids should just suck it up when something unfair happens?

He tried to remedy the situation, the other teams said no. Honestly, neither team (Fulton or Clinton) were going to win anyway so no reason to be too upset about the outcome. 

• Like 2