Division A Post Season

Biffmar4

13 hours ago, cowcatcher said:

I usually agree with most all of your posts, but no way, oceansize! Carson is elite and Jojo is elite. This will be a close match. True toss up.

What is your version of “ELITE”. You have one wrestler that is nationally ranked and another wrestler that is only ranked in Tennessee but you say that both of them are elite. Yes, on any give day someone may trip and fall onto their back and get pinned but the odds of that happening are not very high.   You speak of the major upset being pulled off due to one wrestler being much better on the mat.  FYI you had best be better from neutral.  If you are the best from neutral the only mat skills that you need is getting off the bottom.  

Edited by cbg
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cbg said:

What is your version of “ELITE”. You have one wrestler that is nationally ranked and another wrestler that is only ranked in Tennessee but you say that both of them are elite. Yes, on any give day someone may trip and fall onto their back and get pinned but the odds of that happening are not very high.   You speak of the major upset being pulled off due to one wrestler being much better on the mat.  FYI you had best be better from neutral.  If you are the best from neutral the only mat skills that you need is getting off the bottom.  

+1:thumb:

55 minutes ago, cbg said:

A few things...

1. I have been told that Jojo and Carson wrestled a few years ago with Uhorchuk winning. Don't know if that is true? Regardless, I know that was a few years ago.

2. I should have clarified that I believe there isn't a clear advantage for either from the neutral position. I've only seen each wrestle a few matches this year though. It sounds like cbg and oceansize have seen both guys wrestle more than I have so you two might have a better idea than I do.

3. Carson has earned his national ranking as G'ville has traveled the country and he has had spectacular results at all of these big named tournaments. 

4. I would still consider Jojo elite. I remember that he won VA Beach last year. Jojo's lack of a national ranking is simply due to SM not attending any tournaments outside of TN.

5. My post was simply a prediction in response to Mitch. I did not mean to offend anyone. Carson can easily win this match and I won't be surprised one bit if he does. I'm just excited to see two guys of this caliber go at it! Thank you for adding your thoughts oceansize and cbj. I always value your opinions!  

2 hours ago, cowcatcher said:

A few things...

1. I have been told that Jojo and Carson wrestled a few years ago with Uhorchuk winning. Don't know if that is true? Regardless, I know that was a few years ago.

It is true as I just found the match and it took place 12/2018 with Uhorchuk wining 2-1.  As cowcatcher noted Uhorchuk won the 2021 NHSCAs in Virginia beach as well.  I'm going amend my original thoughts on the match after watching videos again on Flo of Jojo.  I think Carson wins the rematch via decision or major.  TF is likely out of the question.  Link to their match just below.

Dupill vs Uhorchuk

Edited by oceansize42

2 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

It is true as I just found the match and it took place 12/2018 with Uhorchuk wining 2-1.  As cowcatcher noted Uhorchuk won the 2021 NHSCAs in Virginia beach as well.  I'm going amend my original thoughts on the match after watching videos again on Flo of Jojo.  I think Carson wins the rematch via decision or major.  TF is likely out of the question.  Link to their match just below.

Dupill vs Uhorchuk

Oceansize, thanks for looking into this! So many great wrestlers and matches to look forward to this year. I suspect this is the most talent there has ever been in Single A. 

After the Northern Iowa vs Oklahoma State match I would be remiss to make a 106 prediction. However one of my best days during the holidays was to watch a Greeneville High practice. A great room where they worked hard and had fun. Dupill smiled the whole practice and would wrestle anyone. During competitive takedowns he had his way with a senior who is excellent off his feet, a state champ from 2 years ago and 4 weights up. I knew Dupill was good but I left the room with whole different appreciation for him.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, snapdown91 said:

Not sure why the brackets haven't been posted on TSSAA, but if you go to the event on track you can figure it out if you click on Teams. It's looking like:

Fairview

Tullahoma

Munford

Greeneville

Signal Mountain

Page

Gibbs

Pigeon Forge

Not bad, particularly if your somewhat guessing. I say you’re very close.

14 hours ago, snapdown91 said:

Not sure why the brackets haven't been posted on TSSAA, but if you go to the event on track you can figure it out if you click on Teams. It's looking like:

Fairview

Tullahoma

Munford

Greeneville

Signal Mountain

Page

Gibbs

Pigeon Forge

Your guess was spot on.  Should be some great duals with some great individual matches in each dual as well.

2022 Class A State Dual Wrestling Championship Bracket (tssaasports.com)

Edited by Biffmar4

I am happy to finally see Gibbs and Pigeon Forge meeting at state rather than the region, this will be a fun match to watch in the first round as they have a great rivalry.

I also really like that Page is back in the fold as well, Division 1 A is much more competitive now than previous years.

Edited by Watcheronthewall
  • Like 1