Freshman State Title Chances

RaisingAbeast22

3 hours ago, JIII said:

That’s exactly how it works. He beat the Sebron kid from Blackman 7-5. That’s his best win all year so far. He very well might be training in the off season and working hard. I have no idea but when that water gets deep and he hasn’t been in that end of the pool the view is a lot different. 

5 minutes ago, Rasslinking said:

1) Nobody said he didn’t have a chance……they just said he hasn’t wrestled anyone very tough…..which from looking at the results….is accurate

She said it right here. 

By her logic nobody from cleveland should ever lose, becasue nobody wrestles a schedule like cleveland. 

Edited by Ummmno

1 hour ago, greendoor said:

Makes you wonder how Signal Mountain 106 in his shallow pool beat a Greeneville kid who spent all year in the deep end. Cool pool analogy thanks for using it.

Oh that Signal Mountain kid knows all about the deep end of the pool. Been swimming on that end for a long time now.

Just now, Ummmno said:

She said it right here. 

By her logic nobody from cleveland should ever lose, bc they dont wrestle a schedule like cleveland. 

Still trying to find where that was said 

seems your just interpreting it how you want to ha

From reading back, they were comparing common opponents with a kid that has beaten Hicks.

Cleveland Back up- beat sebron 12-2

Hicks - beat sebron 7-5

They are also saying tougher competition during the season better prepares the kids for the State Championship…… not sure how that can be argued. Never said it guarantees success but definitely has them more prepared.

1 hour ago, greendoor said:

Makes you wonder how Signal Mountain 106 in his shallow pool beat a Greeneville kid who spent all year in the deep end. Cool pool analogy thanks for using it.

To be fair, those 106lbers are smaller guys.  Anything deeper than 5ft is often one-in-the-same for them.  That must be why the Signal Mountain kid swam just fine in the deep end when he's only used to the shallow end. 

A rising tide lifts all boats (and I firmly believe this) but the comments concerning Cleveland (and Bradley) always give me a good chuckle.  There is so much money pumped into that program when compared to any other public school program in TN (that I'm aware of).  Cleveland has the money, and just as key, does the work.  But the money is where it starts as that enables the hiring, and most importantly, the ability to keep Coaching talent. The old saying that money can't buy happiness is true, but so is the other frequented quote "but it sure can fix a lot of problems".   Pull all, every bit, of that money and the facilities out of Cleveland and come talk to me about where you are at with respect to the rest of state.  Jeebus...is there anyone who somehow thinks that money is not a huge reason for their program's success?  Don't get mad at me, read Bosken's quote just below. He states the obvious himself. Again, the kids and the coaches must do their job, but it is sure is nice to have access to everything you could possibly need right there with respect of funding, coaches, and facilities.  Also, lets not forget the Boom ranch, but again money. I'm talking about programs and not individual kids beating other individual kids.  Plenty of individual talent across the state.

Allan Jones Foundation Makes Final Payment For Cleveland, Bradley Central High School Wrestling Facilities

Outspoken Payday Lending Pioneer Allan Jones Continues Philanthropic Support

Coaching Search

Bosken said Cleveland’s road to dominance began in 2006, when the Allan Jones Foundation donated $50,000 to the city school system to hire the athletic recruiting firm Double Pump International so that a national search for a coaching staff could be hired to replace the retiring Al Miller at Cleveland High.

New coaches were hired for the high school, middle school and kids club, and the foundation implemented a “six-year plan” designed to guide the Cleveland wrestlers to a championship.

Mike Hatcher, a graduate from the University of Iowa, was brought in to take over the Kids Club. Bosken, who also helped Eslinger, joined him. When Hatcher left, Bosken settled into the Kids Club coaching role to ensure the Cleveland pipeline would stay full.

"The concept back in 2006 was that in six years, the sixth-graders would be seniors and would have come through the system installed by coach Heath Eslinger and would win the state championship,” Bosken said.

Check Into Cash Owner Allan Jones Sponsors Cleveland Middle School Wrestling

Also not surprising is that Jones’ company, Check Into Cash, funds the two best kids’ clubs in the South—Cleveland’s Higher Calling Wrestling Club and Bradley’s Pride Wrestling Club.

Edited by oceansize42

16 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

A rising tide lifts all boats (and I firmly believe this) but the comments concerning Cleveland (and Bradley) always give me a good chuckle.  There is so much money pumped into that program when compared to any other public school program in TN (that I'm aware of).  Cleveland has the money, and just as key, does the work.  But the money is where it starts as that enables the hiring, and most importantly, the ability to keep Coaching talent. The old saying that money can't buy happiness is true, but so is the other frequented quote "but it sure can fix a lot of problems".   Pull all, every bit, of that money and the facilities out of Cleveland and come talk to me about where you are at with respect to the rest of state.  Jeebus...is there anyone who somehow thinks that money is not a huge reason for their program's success?  Again, the kids and the coaches must do their job, but it is sure is nice to have access to everything you could possibly need right there.  Also, lets not forget the Boom ranch, but again money. I'm talking about programs and not individual kids beating other individual kids.  Plenty of individual talent across the state.

Allan Jones Foundation Makes Final Payment For Cleveland, Bradley Central High School Wrestling Facilities

Outspoken Payday Lending Pioneer Allan Jones Continues Philanthropic Support

Coaching Search

Check Into Cash Owner Allan Jones Sponsors Cleveland Middle School Wrestling

No denying that money and resources contribute to the success. However it takes a lot more than that.

The 50k was used to hire a coach not given to the coaches……and was 16 years ago.

Each club gets 15k a year to travel, help pay for kids who need it, and pay coaches….. spread that out and see how much money coaches are getting. 

Bradley Pride gets the EXACT same as HCWC.

Bosken traveled 40 weekends last year….taking kids all over the country. Not because he is being paid…. because losing sucks.

we have to fundraise 50-60k a year to do what we do…… Contrary to popular belief it doesn’t come from Allan although we are extremely grateful for his contribution.

Allan didn’t pay for the charter bus
Allan didn’t pay for hotel rooms
Allan didn’t pay for the kids to go to beast
Allan didn’t help with cost to get us to fargo
Allan didn’t pay for ANY gear we have
Allan didn’t pay for the upgrades in the facility this year.

This is ALL done by local community members that have bought in to the success we are having.

Our girls operated on a 2k budget this year……and I myself and a few others help out so the girls could get what was needed. The girls have committed to train and do some powerlifting competitions. That takes money and we raised 1k yesterday with a few phone calls. That doesn’t happen accidentally and it requires a lot of people dedicated to the programs and the community.

26 minutes ago, JIII said:

No denying that money and resources contribute to the success. However it takes a lot more than that.

The 50k was used to hire a coach not given to the coaches……and was 16 years ago.

Each club gets 15k a year to travel, help pay for kids who need it, and pay coaches….. spread that out and see how much money coaches are getting. 

Bosken traveled 40 weekends last year….taking kids all over the country. Not because he is being paid…. because losing sucks.

we have to fundraise 50-60k a year to do what we do…… Contrary to popular belief it doesn’t come from Allan although we are extremely grateful for his contribution.

Allan didn’t pay for the charter bus
Allan didn’t pay for hotel rooms
Allan didn’t pay for the kids to go to beast
Allan didn’t help with cost to get us to fargo
Allan didn’t pay for ANY gear we have
Allan didn’t pay for the upgrades in the facility this year.

This is ALL done by local community members that have bought in to the success we are having.

Our girls operated on a 2k budget this year……and I myself and a few others help out so the girls could get what was needed. The girls have committed to train and do some powerlifting competitions. That takes money and we raised 1k yesterday with a few phone calls. That doesn’t happen accidentally and it requires a lot of people dedicated to the programs and the community.

Who cares about everything you just listed.  Every other program (worth their salt) does that to.

I was pointing out, and Bosken stated it himself, how it began and how it was able to begin. The program didn't pull itself by it's bootstraps.  I stated repeatedly the kids and coaches must do their job, and they do.

Edited by oceansize42

11 minutes ago, JIII said:

In Knox County, A high school head coach starts out at (after taxes) a little over 1200 a year as their coaching salary. It grows to about 2K after a few years but maxes out around there, most of which goes into their program.  Keep those figures in mind when you downplay 50K from 16 years ago.  

1 minute ago, sx1234 said:

In Knox County, A high school head coach starts out at (after taxes) a little over 1200 a year as their coaching salary. It grows to about 2K after a few years but maxes out around there, most of which goes into their program.  Keep those figures in mind when you downplay 50K from 16 years ago.  

The 50k didn’t go to any coaches….. it went to a hiring firm to try and find the best coach…… so they spent 50k to hire a guy in their back yard, Heath Eslinger. Heath was good friends with Phillips and Hatcher, and convinced them to move up, they were ALSO not paid ha

13 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

JIII Also conveniently overlooking this part from the 2015 article:

Foundation matches every dollar

Along with purchasing a bus for Higher Calling, the Allan Jones Foundation and CIC act as the primary funders of the club, paying for whatever needs arise, he said. "This enables those who aren’t financially able to wrestle to do so through a matching program. The company was the sole funder of the team’s trip to the recent state tournament in Franklin to see the Blue Raiders win another state title," Bosken said.

Bosken said the Foundation matches every dollar the wrestlers raise.

Edited by oceansize42

18 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

Who cares about everything you just listed.  Every other program (worth their salt) does that to.

I was pointing out, and Bosken stated it himself, how it began and how it was able to begin.  I stated repeatedly the kids and coaches must do their job, and they do.

So if every other program does what we do why aren’t they winning???

Why is our k-8 program, made up of ALL Cleveland City kids, dominating at the youth level? Is it because of what Allan did 16 years ago. People just can’t except we work harder and are willing to go the extra mile.

Just now, JIII said:

So if every other program does what we do why aren’t they winning???

Why is our k-8 program, made up of ALL Cleveland City kids, dominating at the youth level? Is it because of what Allan did 16 years ago. People just can’t except we work harder and are willing to go the extra mile.

I stated at least three times the coaches and kids must do their jobs, and they do.  What you can't accept how much the money helped get you to this point.  I already accept you all do the work.