GC vs WV

mas1821

1 hour ago, GCPioneer said:

Loretto ain’t beating Gibson 20+… Westview has better role players and more shooters/depth than Loretto.

elaborate on this stance.  Ppg, assists, fg% and 3pt% of WV's role players.  We could look at Steals & Blocks too while we're at it.  I find it hard to believe WV has 8 shooters as good as Loretto's top 8.  Jada is great, but she'd be the 2nd best player on the court against Loretto.  And based on the 3 times I've seen WV play this year, the 3rd best player would also be from Loretto.  You must have only seen the Creekwood game.  Outside of two games this year, we have 7-8 girls contributing across the board.  

I could definitely see WV being the favorite right now with how they've played against Gibson Co, but if any of you truly think Loretto is "easily a step below WV", I would encourage you to watch more film on Loretto.  If Loretto travels to WV, or Summertown travels to WV, WV will have their hands full.  If WV has any sort of an off game from 3 against Summertown, they could definitely miss out on State.  

I just don't understand why Wilkins didn't play Zone after seeing how the last game at WV played out.

Best of luck to everyone & well wishes for a playoff season without injuries!

Edited by mas1821

4 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

elaborate on this stance.  Ppg, assists, fg% and 3pt% of WV's role players.  We could look at Steals & Blocks too while we're at it.  I find it hard to believe WV has 8 shooters as good as Loretto's top 8.  Jada is great, but she'd be the 2nd best player on the court against Loretto.  And based on the 3 times I've seen WV play this year, the 3rd best player would also be from Loretto.  You must have only seen the Creekwood game.  Outside of two games this year, we have 7-8 girls contributing across the board.  

I could definitely see WV being the favorite right now with how they've played against Gibson Co, but if any of you truly think Loretto is "easily a step below WV", I would encourage you to watch more film on Loretto.  If Loretto travels to WV, or Summertown travels to WV, WV will have their hands full.  If WV has any sort of an off game from 3 against Summertown, they could definitely miss out on State.  

I just don't understand why Wilkins didn't play Zone after seeing how the last game at WV played out.

Would be a worse nightmare guarding Karly man to man than Jada. She put up almost 30 on KJ as a Freshman. I will tell it like it is. We ain’t beating Westview or Loretto with the same game plan as tonight and it ain’t going to be close. No way I will tell Loretto they are a step below Westview right now. GC and Loretto are apples and oranges. They run a match up 2-3 zone that is nothing like a man to man like GC plays. 

15 minutes ago, Opm91 said:

Word on the street is there is alot of team tension/drama at GC and it is finally translating onto the court. You can't win against a solid team(esp like WV) without a tough teamwork mentality.  Sure the Hart sisters are great but they have to know they can't do it by themselves and involve their teammates more. From the last few games I saw, they would rather pass it to each other and get a turnover than an open man, usually one of the girls in the 4 position. If you aren't confident about your teammate, they won't be either! 

In games I have watched online/in person I have sensed that as well. Do you know what it is going on?

29 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

I admire your confidence. You must be related to Ms. Basketball (most likely). I wouldn’t classify one above the other and I’ve seen both live. 2 different styles of play and Jada scores when she needs to, not wants to. Loretto is definitely the favorite, but I don’t think they’ll be a whole lot better than the teams that beat WV this year already. If we’re fortunate to make it, then maybe that matchup will happen. But you’re #2 &3 players aren’t above Harrison and 1 is debatable to the objective coach or fan. 

Best of luck to Loretto. You’ve got a great team. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

8 hours ago, Opm91 said:

Word on the street is there is alot of team tension/drama at GC and it is finally translating onto the court. You can't win against a solid team(esp like WV) without a tough teamwork mentality.  Sure the Hart sisters are great but they have to know they can't do it by themselves and involve their teammates more. From the last few games I saw, they would rather pass it to each other and get a turnover than an open man, usually one of the girls in the 4 position. If you aren't confident about your teammate, they won't be either! 

GC needs five players on the floor who are going to play team ball. You have to be a great ball movement team against a zone and I don’t see it. I see zero screens being set. Just a lot of ball movement around the perimeter and eventually a Turnover. First and foremost give me five ball players that are not scared of Westview. I have heard rumblings myself.  I will say this. The bench is a good place for teammates causing problems no matter how good a player thinks they are. 

Edited by pioneer42

15 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I admire your confidence. You must be related to Ms. Basketball. I wouldn’t classify one above the other and I’ve seen both live. 2 different styles of play and Jada scores when she needs to, not wants to. Loretto is definitely the favorite, but I don’t think they’ll be a whole lot better than the teams that beat WV this year already. If we’re fortunate to make it, then maybe that matchup will happen. But you’re #2 &3 players aren’t above Harrison and 1 is debatable to the objective coach or fan. 

Best of luck to Loretto. You’ve got a great team. 

Lol, no relation.  I'm pretty sure Karly has better stats in every offensive and defensive category, not just scoring.  Karly is a much better shooter from mid range and deep, Karly is a better passer (possessing insane vision for a H.S. girl), Karly is a better defender, they are a wash on ability to drive to the basket and ball handling (I've seen Jada play about 10-11 times since she has been in H.S., based on those games I've seen, it isn't that close).  Never said our number 2 is above Jada, just said our number 2 will be the 3rd best on the court.

Best of Luck to WV as well.  Just because we disagree doesn't mean I dislike you or your program.  :-)

Edited by mas1821
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree. GC needs five players on the floor who are going to play team ball. You have to be a great ball movement team against a zone and I don’t see it. I see zero screens being set. Just a lot of ball movement around the perimeter and eventually a Turnover. First and foremost give me five ball players that are not scared of Westview. I have heard rumblings and it don’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I will say this. The bench is a good place for teammates causing problems within the program no matter how good a player thinks they are. 

Safe to assume it’s one of the sisters then? 

40 minutes ago, westtn12 said:

In games I have watched online/in person I have sensed that as well. Do you know what it is going on?

I only know what I've heard. I have watched online and in person this year too.  It was not a secret during aau season either when you see teammates not even speaking to each other at big events. Wilkins is a great coach. Arguably one of the best in TN high schools in all classes, but ignoring the elephant in the room may have come back to bite em. 

Outside of all the logistics of basketball and defenses, I'd say that's why GC can't beat WV, team chemistry makes all the difference. You also look to players, especially those stand out players, to be leaders. I don't see that GC has that either. Body language on the court shows alot.  Jada clearly leads her team and doesn't play selfish ball. A great teammate and leader. I can't wait to see how this plays out the rest of the tourney. Hopefully GC can rally it together but like Pioneer, I'm not sure they will make it out of the region at this rate. 

13 minutes ago, Opm91 said:

I only know what I've heard. I have watched online and in person this year too.  It was not a secret during aau season either when you see teammates not even speaking to each other at big events. Wilkins is a great coach. Arguably one of the best in TN high schools in all classes, but ignoring the elephant in the room may have come back to bite em. 

Outside of all the logistics of basketball and defenses, I'd say that's why GC can't beat WV, team chemistry makes all the difference. You also look to players, especially those stand out players, to be leaders. I don't see that GC has that either. Body language on the court shows alot.  Jada clearly leads her team and doesn't play selfish ball. A great teammate and leader. I can't wait to see how this plays out the rest of the tourney. Hopefully GC can rally it together but like Pioneer, I'm not sure they will make it out of the region at this rate. 

I am one that won’t even make a pick against any opponent. I just have seen Camden and East Hickman and both teams played hard. GC goes out there with a lethargic mentality they will be going home quick. Seen it too many times. I don’t know what is going on now, but it is time for GC to get their act together quick if they are planning on making a run. I may be hurting feelings but I just call it like I see it. 

• Like 1