State Championships

deesnutz

13 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

The so called "not great" 4A champs split with the so called "great" 3A champs in the regular season... just an FYI.

Also beat three really solid teams down there... I wouldn't say they're "not great."

I was comparing them to past highest classification teams not lower classification teams - most of those teams would blow their doors off 

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

lol, The ole' my Dad can beat up your Dad argument. 

I got no dog in that fight just know from observation for last 40 years - no disrespect to those kids you can only play who is in front of you / I actually played DB in state tournament in 1965 in Memphis ( I’m from Lawrenceburg ) and they beat us pretty bad so getting there is great accomplishment 

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

I got no dog in that fight just know from observation for last 40 years - no disrespect to those kids you can only play who is in front of you / I actually played DB in state tournament in 1965 in Memphis ( I’m from Lawrenceburg ) and they beat us pretty bad so getting there is great accomplishment 

My beef with trying to compare teams from the past years is that it's not an argument that can have a winner. It's not an argument that's worth having. There would be no end to it. You're correct, it's a great accomplishment just to get there. Playing 30+ games and being one of the final 8 teams. There's been about 6 times that DB has made it to the tournament with a real chance to win it. In 73', a couple times in the 80's and a couple times in the 90's and again in early 2000. All ended in disappointment. I think most people thought Bartlett would win it all this year with little problem. I was watching the replay of that game and you could literally see the air go out of the Bartlett players and fans after that last shot. We DB fans know what that feels like.

Edited by WaCoJaCo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

Getting there is a huge accomplishment. Kids play more organized ball throughout the year with AAU, summer camps and Fall Leagues these days. Lots of really good teams out there. Lots of stress watching these games and coaching them too. Coaches have to have these kids ready ready to even have a decent shot to get to state. 

So incredibly proud of our Indians at Dobyns-Bennett.  Winning the ultimate championship at any level almost always involves FINALLY having everything go your way, then you still have to win it.  The criticisms have been there over the decades for the three major sports that were knocking on the door.  There was always one particular area that popped up and we had to discuss being the bridesmaid.  Off the top of my head, I remember baseball in the 90's one year had to win one of the final two to be state champions, but fell.   A great football team lost in the semis to a Red Bank team that wasn't as good as us, but we literally played in tropical storm weather.  The team built for a power game won it late.  Ditto two years later when we thoroughly out played Riverdale, but gave up a fluke shanked punt for a losing score.  I'm sure there are many more, but for once, things went our way and kids made huge shots, defended their tails off, and found a way.  Who knows what happens if Farragut doesn't get 7 players suspended?  Things like that have to happen most years for a champion.  Tennessee only won the legendary National Championship of 1998 because, of all things, Arkansas QB Clint Stoerner had his foot stepped on, stumbled and fumbled, or Tennessee would still be without a National football champion since the 50's.  It was their time.  So happy for the city of Kingsport.....Roll Tribe!

• Like 1