Home Court Advantage in region after round 1

bobcatfan300

1 hour ago, bobcatfan300 said:

You don't know of a school? lol 7A has played at AAA Livingston or AAA White Co for as long as I've been going...27 years. AAA plays at Tennessee Tech. We have huge crowds...if Clay plays Pickett in the finals at East Robertson, half those wanting to get in won't be able to. Watertown is the only school I've ever known to host in their own region. The logic is fairness. Why should any school get a home court advantage?

You probably read what swipes said, but evidently you didn't absorb it...the member schools of a district/region have a meeting and decide all these details beforehand. Not everyplace operates the same, but in most around the western side of the state bids are accepted to host, while switching between regions every other year. TSSAA has guidelines regarding size of venue, but other than that, has no input in the decision. Usually in region, if the host region is swept out of the tourney, it (the tournament) reverts back to the host school of the district still playing.

The money isn't the factor that you would believe either...after bidding to host, splitting with TSSAA, funding hospitality rooms, paying officials, ect... there isn't usually a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

You don't know of a school? lol 7A has played at AAA Livingston or AAA White Co for as long as I've been going...27 years. AAA plays at Tennessee Tech. We have huge crowds...if Clay plays Pickett in the finals at East Robertson, half those wanting to get in won't be able to. Watertown is the only school I've ever known to host in their own region. The logic is fairness. Why should any school get a home court advantage?

Like I said I didn’t know of a school since that’s not how it has been done around here almost all the time.  Some Other districts in East and NE Tn have the higher seed playing at home the entire time for regionals.  It sounds like the region you just mentions sounds like the exception not the rule. 

• Upvote 1

In region 2-AAA, Northview and seymour are in the district not hosting the region this year, but are the only two remaining in the tournament for girls.  Seymour wants to host the championship because they are the one seed and northview is two, but northview insists the game stay at the neutral site of the other district that hosted the semis.  Now Halls is hosting and are not playing. This makes absolutely no sense and the game should go to the other district's top seed, Seymour. 

The TSSAA has absolutely no say so in where any district or regional game is played other than size of the venue and rotating the host district from year to year. People really have no idea how things really work. Each district and region decide on the host a year in advance, not depending on who is having a good year that year.

And Trader Two is correct. Hosting is hardly the great windfall people think it is. This is certainly not the first year a school has hosted without having a team involved. Happens every single year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

The TSSAA has absolutely no say so in where any district or regional game is played other than size of the venue and rotating the host district from year to year. People really have no idea how things really work. Each district and region decide on the host a year in advance, not depending on who is having a good year that year.

And Trader Two is correct. Hosting is hardly the great windfall people think it is. This is certainly not the first year a school has hosted without having a team involved. Happens every single year.

Excellent post.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:34 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

right... the TSSAA does not control the venue. However, some districts reward the regular season top seed with hosting. I'm and if their district hosts the region they allow the district tournament winner to host the region.

4 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

right... the TSSAA does not control the venue. However, some districts reward the regular season top seed with hosting. I'm and if their district hosts the region they allow the district tournament winner to host the region.

Every district is autonomous. They make their own decision on where to have it. They can also have a two team bye in a 7 team league which makes no sense either except to the scared 2nd place team. You are not even required to play a district tournament. You can just send your 1st thru 4th from regular season on to the region tournament. There are a lot of baseball and softball districts that allow the regular season winner to automatically go to the region even if they lose first round. Again, whatever the district agrees to.

17 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Every district is autonomous. They make their own decision on where to have it. They can also have a two team bye in a 7 team league which makes no sense either except to the scared 2nd place team. You are not even required to play a district tournament. You can just send your 1st thru 4th from regular season on to the region tournament. There are a lot of baseball and softball districts that allow the regular season winner to automatically go to the region even if they lose first round. Again, whatever the district agrees to.

correct. I still like district tournament winners get a buy in Region and send the loser of the consolation game home without a region bid. let the runner up and third place teams play for a chance to play in the region semi finals.