Can anyone explain TSSAA’s logic?

Rockytopmojo7

Walker Valley and McMinn have to drive 2 hours to play each other on Tuesday. The schools are 15 miles apart. Makes zero sense to me. TSSAA would get a huge gate if they allowed situations like this to play at the higher seed. Instead, the only crowd they will get is the parents of the players and cheerleaders. 
Not good for kids, not good for parents, and a dumb business model. 

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Walker Valley and McMinn have to drive 2 hours to play each other on Tuesday. The schools are 15 miles apart. Makes zero sense to me. TSSAA would get a huge gate if they allowed situations like this to play at the higher seed. Instead, the only crowd they will get is the parents of the players and cheerleaders. 

Very dumb, play it at a neutral site like Cleveland or Cleveland State. 4 hour trip for no reason. 

District 3AA is in the same situation. Meigs plays Central and Tellico plays Polk and we have to go all the way to Marion Co

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Very dumb, play it at a neutral site like Cleveland or Cleveland State. 4 hour trip for no reason. 

District 3AA is in the same situation. Meigs plays Central and Tellico plays Polk and we have to go all the way to Marion Co

And I am confident, that Coffee County (team hosting) would profit more from a split of the gate (all while doing nothing). I bet there would be over 1,500 people at the game if played locally. I’m betting they have 200 at most now that it’s 2 hours away. Kids deserve to play in front of large crowds. Not to mention they all have school the next day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

And I am confident, that Coffee County (team hosting) would profit more from a split of the gate (all while doing nothing). I bet there would be over 1,500 people at the game if played locally. I’m betting they have 200 at most now that it’s 2 hours away. Kids deserve to play in front of large crowds. Not to mention they all have school the next day. 

District 7A girls are in the same boat. Traveling 2-2 1/2 hrs to play games against district opponents. 7A boys are 3 out of 4. Very dumb. Like you said would make a lot bigger gate (which is all t$$aa thinks about) and a better atmosphere for the kids. Makes  too much sense they’ll never buy into “logic”. 

• Like 1

Well this has been a problem all year since the shake up.  All of Howards away games take atleast an hour to get to them not to mention they are a 4:00 school.  TSSAA got this all wrong and they dont care as long as they make their money.  Somebody needs to just go to city championships!!!! Cut TSSAA out

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Region sites are determined prior to the season.  

The decision to go to four classes was made by the Board of Control which is made up of administrators from schools all over the state. If you want to go back to three classes then quit whining about not having a chance to go to the state tournament because of this or that and ask to go back to 3 classes. The TSSAA accepts whatever the Board of Control votes to do.

It still amazes me how many people have no clue how the process works.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeinthesky said:

Region sites are determined prior to the season.  

Yes, I am aware. However, when two teams are playing from the same district, they should be allowed to play locally. Teams hosting regionals should absolutely get a cut of the gate in cases like  the McMinn vs Walker game.  Unfortunately, there was maybe 300 people there to watch. Had the game been played at Walker Valley (or on a neutral floor) there would have been 2k people maybe more. TSSAA would have have made a lot more money that night. It’s about the kids. It’s sad that kids had to play in front of a small crowd and it be a playoff game. I have no issue with traveling when both teams are from different districts. Jmho