Can anyone explain TSSAA’s logic?

Rockytopmojo7

48 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

The decision to go to four classes was made by the Board of Control which is made up of administrators from schools all over the state. If you want to go back to three classes then quit whining about not having a chance to go to the state tournament because of this or that and ask to go back to 3 classes. The TSSAA accepts whatever the Board of Control votes to do.

It still amazes me how many people have no clue how the process works.

Are you posting in the right thread? We can have 100 classes for all I care. I just think decisions need to be logical and in the best interest of the kids. When two teams from the same district are playing each other, it makes 0 sense for them to travel 2 hours away to play. TSSAA needs to do better. 

11 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Are you posting in the right thread? We can have 100 classes for all I care. I just think decisions need to be logical and in the best interest of the kids. When two teams from the same district are playing each other, it makes 0 sense for them to travel 2 hours away to play. TSSAA needs to do better. 

Again. The district/region decide on the venue, not the TSSAA, and they decide a year in advance typically.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

On 3/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Again. The district/region decide on the venue, not the TSSAA, and they decide a year in advance typically.

The region puts up a couple of sites and TSSAA decides what is best. If all teams from one district win first round it can move back to district host.

8 minutes ago, ecu said:

The region puts up a couple of sites and TSSAA decides what is best. If all teams from one district win first round it can move back to district host.

Wrong. TSSAA approves or denies the venue based on capacity only...if it will seat the minimum number of fans, it's good to go as long as the district/region votes for it.

@tradertwo is correct. There's only specific schools can host a tournament. I believe Madison cannot host one at Memphis-Lambuth, but can host one at Oman Arena, which is now owned by the school system in Jackson.

Honestly, this has been the case for years. People are just complaining because the regions are more spread out. However, I can't find one positive reason as to why there are four classes (other than money). However, the product of basketball in our state has dropped considerably. We all know that. There are teams going to Murfreesboro that just aren't traditional state tournament caliber teams.

On 2/27/2022 at 12:51 PM, RLA53 said:

Nothing the TSSAA does these days makes sense. People have lost all common sense.

This is what you get when you allow educators with absolutely zero business experience the opportunity to operate a multi million dollar business.  But hey keep on paying those guys well over six figures plus benefits to operate high school athletics much like they were a church basketball league.  

Don't forget that A LOT of coaches wanted this change to four classes.  There were some that even wanted to go to six classes like football.  Yes, the BOC voted for it. But, not without input from coaches and administrators.  It is a catch-22.  There will be 8 boys and 8 girls teams in the state tournament this year, that would not have been there without the classification change (the first in 40 years, unlike football that changes every other cycle it seems).  Ask those schools, coaches, players, and communities how they feel about it.  

On 3/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

This is 100% accurate.  Everyone keeps saying TSSAA this and TSSAA that but in reality you can talk to your coaches and AD's if you don't like it because it was most likely decided in their meeting.   I know that the 9AAAA and 10AAAA teams decided this year that Cookeville will host the district and region next year.   So every team in both districts will have to travel farther than they ever have.  This has NOTHING to do with the TSSAA unless you have a facility that does not meet their requirements.   But again that should be decided in the coaches meetings.      

On 3/3/2022 at 12:25 PM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Semantics,.. the fact that district teams have to travel 2 hours to play a team 15 miles away is dumb. There should always be exceptions to a rule and the flexibility to do what’s best for kids. 

6 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Semantics,.. the fact that district teams have to travel 2 hours to play a team 15 miles away is dumb. There should always be exceptions to a rule and the flexibility to do what’s best for kids. 

You don’t get it at all.  It’s not easy as just changing a venue.

If everyone in the same district wins in the first round of regions then they can change it to a new venue like region 1 A did this year at Daniel Boone. (Has to be agreed with all teams still left).  If someone wins in the other district it does not change because everyone has agreed a year prior  

2 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

This is 100% accurate.  Everyone keeps saying TSSAA this and TSSAA that but in reality you can talk to your coaches and AD's if you don't like it because it was most likely decided in their meeting.   I know that the 9AAAA and 10AAAA teams decided this year that Cookeville will host the district and region next year.   So every team in both districts will have to travel farther than they ever have.  This has NOTHING to do with the TSSAA unless you have a facility that does not meet their requirements.   But again that should be decided in the coaches meetings.      

I have tried to explain this to the guy, but he  cannot separate the facts from his feelings.