Middle Tennessee Dream Team

WrestlingGod

The state duals was Feb. 5.

The dream team meeting was the following day Feb. 6. 
The process goes like this. Coaches put their wrestlers name on the dry erase board at the weight class their kid wrestled during the season. If their kid had dropped he has to be put at the weight he wrestled the majority of the season. Each coach has a chance to speak on behalf of their wrestler. A vote is then taken. If there is more than 2 wrestlers a process of elimination takes place based on the vote totals, often times resulting in a second or third vote. Some times there is a tie. It has nothing to do with popularity and sometimes the person making the dream team places lower at the state tournament than someone who lost the vote. It was explained to me the idea was to put together a team based on regular season and not post season. Any head to head after the meeting is irrelevant.

31 minutes ago, Hamblin said:

The state duals was Feb. 5.

The dream team meeting was the following day Feb. 6. 
The process goes like this. Coaches put their wrestlers name on the dry erase board at the weight class their kid wrestled during the season. If their kid had dropped he has to be put at the weight he wrestled the majority of the season. Each coach has a chance to speak on behalf of their wrestler. A vote is then taken. If there is more than 2 wrestlers a process of elimination takes place based on the vote totals, often times resulting in a second or third vote. Some times there is a tie. It has nothing to do with popularity and sometimes the person making the dream team places lower at the state tournament than someone who lost the vote. It was explained to me the idea was to put together a team based on regular season and not post season. Any head to head after the meeting is irrelevant.

Thank you for the clarification!  That explains the situation with the Father Ryan wrestlers because everyone knows that Pat Simpson typically wrestles his kids up most of the season and then they cut down at the end of the year.  That would explain Eason and Gobbell not making the team due to not wrestling 50% of their matches at the lower weight classification.  

It would be nice if there was some type of established criteria that was written down and followed.  Other than head to head competition and the understanding that 50% of the matches must be wrestled at the lower weight are there any other guidelines?

Edited by cbg

22 minutes ago, cbg said:

Thank you for the clarification!  That explains the situation with the Father Ryan wrestlers because everyone knows that Pat Simpson typically wrestles his kids up most of the season and then they cut down at the end of the year.  That would explain Eason and Gobbell not making the team due to not wrestling 50% of their matches at the lower weight classification.  

It would be nice if there was some type of established criteria that was written down and followed.  Other than head to head competition and the understanding that 50% of the matches must be wrestled at the lower weight are there any other guidelines?

To clarify,

There were 2 instances where I remember this being the case. Nothing like 50%. It was more a matter of a kid wrestling a weight the majority of the season and then dropping for post season. 

3 minutes ago, Hamblin said:

To clarify,

There were 2 instances where I remember this being the case. Nothing like 50%. It was more a matter of a kid wrestling a weight the majority of the season and then dropping for post season. 

Eason defeated Little in the semi-finals of the FR tournament and Gobbell defeated Goeble in the finals of the FR tournament so they were down in early January.  I assume that the coaches felt that they were not deserving of the Dream Team Award

1 minute ago, cbg said:

Eason defeated Little in the semi-finals of the FR tournament and Gobbell defeated Goeble in the finals of the FR tournament so they were down in early January.  I assume that the coaches felt that they were not deserving of the Dream Team Award

I do not know. 

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Wonder if it could be because Eason didn’t wrestle after the FR tournament until sections and state due to injury. Maybe they thought he was done. Not sure about Brody though. 

17 hours ago, Midtnwrestling1 said:

Wonder if it could be because Eason didn’t wrestle after the FR tournament until sections and state due to injury. Maybe they thought he was done. Not sure about Brody though. 

Only those that voted would truly know!  From an outsider looking in it certainly appears as if the fix was in.

The one thing that I want everyone to be aware of is that in no way do I want to cast a shadow on those that received the award.  I do remember that WAY BACK IN THE DAY when I was fortunate to make the team they actually had two teams.  The TENNESSEAN did one team and the BANNER did the other team with the newspaper staffs doing research to select the team.  Yes, occasionally someone got on one of the teams that made you scratch your head but nothing like winning head to head matchups and being equal at the state tournament.  The wrestler of the year award came out before the state tournament and fearing that it would jinx you no one wanted to win the award.  

Edited by cbg

Surely you don't believe the coaches would ignore head to head matchup wins, one fairly decisive.  I can't imagine they would be deliberately prejudice against a HS kid.  Must be some other reason, or like Umm said, it doesn't really matter.

• Upvote 1