2022 Coaching Carousel - Vacant HC Positions

CoachAnderson

On 3/20/2022 at 11:01 PM, Tigersandcats said:

I agree, there is plenty of talent at HC. But a lot of the athletes are not playing multiple sports for sure. That’s seems to be becoming more normal than it use to be. I remember the days where your QB was usually your PG for basketball and your SS/pitcher on the baseball team! 

It is a trend for athletes these days to play only 1 sport because you can just about play that sport all year long with travel sports.

If athletes are playing other sports and you have to beg them to play yours, you are wasting your time.  Today's kids will think you owe them or need them and will not expect rules to apply to them.  Bad idea.  Better off to play with the ones who want to play.  I don't believe the talent is all playing football or baseball, the ones that want to play basketball are already there.

They should hire Ken Bingham, worked as assistant there before and at McNairy.  Appears to have good knowledge of the game and is a hard worker looking from the outside in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobcats83 said:

It is a trend for athletes these days to play only 1 sport because you can just about play that sport all year long with travel sports.

If athletes are playing other sports and you have to beg them to play yours, you are wasting your time.  Today's kids will think you owe them or need them and will not expect rules to apply to them.  Bad idea.  Better off to play with the ones who want to play.  I don't believe the talent is all playing football or baseball, the ones that want to play basketball are already there.

They should hire Ken Bingham, worked as assistant there before and at McNairy.  Appears to have good knowledge of the game and is a hard worker looking from the outside in.

I will second that.  Ken would be a great choice

6 hours ago, Bobcats83 said:

4 hours ago, MCbobcats said:

I will second that.  Ken would be a great choice

I agree Ken would be a great choice. 

On 3/20/2022 at 9:12 PM, CoachAnderson said:

Slightly off topic, but curious; what are the top (5-10?) things that you consider when labeling a HS coaching position a good or bad job?

I'm probably missing a few, but here's what immediately comes to mind for me:

(1) Admin support (2) Feeder program (3) Demographics (4) Support from other Coaches (football, baseball, etc). (5) Facilities (6) Parent & Alumni support (7) Tradition (8) Budget (9) Booster Club.

Facilities - I don't need college level facilities but sometimes the basics are a bonus. I've coached at HS's in Puerto Rico and Hawaii that had AMAZING admin support but the facilities and budget were sorely lacking. Neither school had a locker room, practice gear or a laundry room (I did it myself). Players changed in the bathroom or just wore their shorts under their school clothes. On game days we did halftime from the bench (which is what I prefer anyways). In Puerto Rico I had to buy the entire teams game shorts and game shoes for 7-8 kids every year in HI & PR. I will say this about both of those programs, those kids were mentally tougher than most! Some of the players from Puerto Rico I consider my closest adult  friends (I was there 2001-04).

1. Autonomy - the ability to run the program the way it needs to be run without interference from admin, school board, politics, etc... to 

2. feeder schools - the feeder schools are vital to success of high school programs. if the high school coach is spending the first year teaching things that should have been taught in elementary then good luck being successful

3. Community - alumni and parent support 

4. Players - in order to win championships you have to have players

5. facilities - critical in player development

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 7:37 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

1. Autonomy - the ability to run the program the way it needs to be run without interference from admin, school board, politics, etc... to 

2. feeder schools - the feeder schools are vital to success of high school programs. if the high school coach is spending the first year teaching things that should have been taught in elementary then good luck being successful

3. Community - alumni and parent support 

4. Players - in order to win championships you have to have players

5. facilities - critical in player development

# 5 great but not an absolute necessity ask Summertown - so many state championships but below  average facilities- # 4 an absolute must others mean very little w/o the players  - #  1-2-3 a plus 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, CoachAnderson said:
Vacant
• Franklin Road Academy (Nashville)
• Kingsbury HS (Memphis)
• Kirby HS (Memphis)
• Macon County HS (Lafayette)
• Memphis Central HS (Memphis)
• Morristown-Hamblen HS (Morristown)
• Nolensville HS (Nolensville)
• Station Camp HS (Gallatin)

Filled
• Liberty Creek HS (Gallatin) - Seth Massey (17 years @ Station Camp HS)
• Maryville HS (Maryville) - Wes Lambert (MHS Assistant, former Nolensville HS HC)

Congratulations Coach Massey & Coach Lambert, both friends of mine. 

Good luck to those applying! As coaches we want our players to improve in the off season, hope all of us can do the same!

I’ll try to update this post as jobs become available / are filled.

NOLENSVILLE?  Wasn't that Babington?

7 hours ago, BelmontRebel said:

NOLENSVILLE?  Wasn't that Babington?

Coach Babimgton stepped down last month after 2 years. (Including Coach Lambert’s last year they’re on their 4th HC in 5 years). 

Nolensville hired Drew Giudice (Brookwood HS, Thomasville, GA) today.  If the name sounds familiar, it’s because he was a Stars AAU Coach, a GA at Belmont as well as an assistant Coach at Lee prior to BHS. 

IMO both the District & Region WilCo schools play in just got tougher. Welcome Giudice family.