Westview vs Loretto

sportslover88

3 hours ago, ptguard12 said:

It is a tragedy.  One that wouldn't occur if TSSAA hadn't of divided the Memphis teams into 3 AA districts.  And look how that has turned out.....they have three districts, yet one team didn't even have to play a region quarterfinal or a region semifinal to get to the Region 8 Championship Game (Manassas).  

It is a shame one of these two schools will be heading home and two schools from districts 13-16 have a representative at state.  I sure do hope after next season we see some adjustments on districts and regions.  I am not opposed to going back to three classes.

I wasn’t expecting this matchup to take place on Saturday night and if it did then I certainly thought it would be in Loretto.  I still give Loretto the edge in this one.  It’s a similar situation to what Loretto faced last season heading into McKenzie in the region semifinal game.  I agree that these could well be the two top two teams in AA.  And I like the new four classifications.  I realize that some of the top AA teams have ascended from the Class A ranks of last year, but I just like that some of the smaller schools get a better opportunity now.  Also it makes AA quite exciting and a state tourney berth well earned.

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

It is a shame one of these two schools will be heading home and two schools from districts 13-16 have a representative at state.  I sure do hope after next season we see some adjustments on districts and regions.  I am not opposed to going back to three classes.

It's not a new thing, nor is it because of going to four classes. In the 80's and 90's Scotts Hill frequently had one of the best teams in the state, and never got there. It was a perennial thing for Bradford and Gleason to knock off the better between the two for their region, send the loser to Scotts Hill for sub state, win a barn burner at our place, then go dismantle everyone they face at Murfreesboro to win the gold ball. Fast forward to the present...Scotts Hill and Riverside will play a substate game that both can and probably should be favored to win, with teams that couldn't compete against our 80's and 90's teams. Similar situation with Jackson County and the old district 7. The system we have now does not guarantee that the best team wins, and for sure not that the second best gets silver...what it does guarantee is that the team that takes the gold ball home will have 100% earned it, and that's good enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

It's not a new thing, nor is it because of going to four classes. In the 80's and 90's Scotts Hill frequently had one of the best teams in the state, and never got there. It was a perennial thing for Bradford and Gleason to knock off the better between the two for their region, send the loser to Scotts Hill for sub state, win a barn burner at our place, then go dismantle everyone they face at Murfreesboro to win the gold ball. Fast forward to the present...Scotts Hill and Riverside will play a substate game that both can and probably should be favored to win, with teams that couldn't compete against our 80's and 90's teams. Similar situation with Jackson County and the old district 7. The system we have now does not guarantee that the best team wins, and for sure not that the second best gets silver...what it does guarantee is that the team that takes the gold ball home will have 100% earned it, and that's good enough.

Yes I understand I guess it’s just a little frustrating.  Riverside was at out Christmas tournament and I believe they finished 6th out of 8 and it wasn’t even a strong group of teams.  You are correct that’s just they way it is some years.

11 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

9.40 online including the fee, 10 at the door

Be a ton of people there. I bet there will be 300-400 just basketball fans there that their teams have been eliminated.. I have talked to 12-15 myself. How many is Loretto projected to bring??

Edited by pioneer42

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Be a ton of people there. I bet there will be 300-400 just basketball fans there that their teams have been eliminated.. I have talked to 12-15 myself. How many is Loretto projected to bring?? 

dunno..   usually travel well, especially with it being a Saturday..  they'll bring a strong student section.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mas1821 said:

dunno..   usually travel well, especially with it being a Saturday..  they'll bring a strong student section.

They get loud. I will say this. You got four classy programs going at it. If I wasn’t a GC Fan, I could be a fan of any of the three. I hope you guys have a safe trip. Will be a war. 

• Like 2