AA State Tournament Matchups

westtn12

28 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I have been to games all over this state and girls yell and cheer and get emotional and holler foul. Part of the game. Name calling comes about when posters get on here acting like that it is acceptable and OK especially after they won the game. It is not OK. 

So it’s NOT ok for officials to get emotional but IT is ok for you to name call because of your emotions?

I don’t recall anyone saying it was OK. 

That’s about as a hypocritical statement as you could make.  I hope you can find peace somewhere.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, imright4now said:

So it’s NOT ok for officials to get emotional but IT is ok for you to name call because of your emotions?

I don’t recall anyone saying it was OK. 

That’s about as a hypocritical statement as you could make.  I hope you can find peace somewhere.

I got our teams back. I have been to state tournaments my whole life and can never remember an official deciding a game in the last couple of minutes in a tie game or two point game. I have had numerous texts and phone calls and seen post on here that know it was uncalled for. I got our players backs and will to continue have their backs. Sad deal it overshadowed a great game by both teams. 

Edited by pioneer42

2 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

The same referee that made terrible calls in yesterday's game is making terrible calls again in Fayette Ware-Creek Wood.... maybe this guy is not up to par to referee a state tournament game. Is there a standard for that?

I agree very bad officials in the state tournament same ones get games and it is a shame 

51 minutes ago, EagleOldEyes said:

I agree very bad officials in the state tournament same ones get games and it is a shame 

35 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

I always know the ones that are gonna take over games - they’re the ones that look like they got cob up their butt when walk on floor and prance around 

Sad part about it is we have seen pretty good officials in West TN all year for the most part. 

Edited by pioneer42

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

I always know the ones that are gonna take over games - they’re the ones that look like they got cob up their butt when walk on floor and prance around 

You nailed it. Got a chip on there shoulder before they walk in the gym. Gonna get some attention somehow , someway before the games over.

4 hours ago, mas1821 said:

Fans and Parents are tough on refs.  Always have been, always will be.  Refs should be paid better, 100%.  TSSAA makes enough $ to properly train & pay referees; however, that cuts into their monstrous profits, so they would rather have mostly shotty refs.

I agree, people should keep their composure better at times, but sports is about competition, and to be super competitive comes with emotion.  Refs realize that when they sign up.  Regardless of how hard or stressful their job is, they're not allowed to let emotion or allegiances affect their decisions.  I've coached, refereed, and been a fan, so I'm well aware of the stress & pressure, but that doesn't displace the fact that referees can't allow emotions to affect their decisions on the court.

Should referees be paid better? Yes. However, that doesn't make them going to get "better."

To me, I think the officials are paid okay in basketball. Why? Because basketball in West Tennessee and throughout the state, is obviously on Tuesday and Friday, and Middle School is on Monday and Thursday. If they work over 3 nights a week, that's over $300 dollars for that week. Basketball is actually the "money making" sport now because of two situations. 1) season is from November-Febraury/March. 2) four classifications means more postseason games = more officials get to work postseason games.

I know officials will tell you the call a game for  "love of the game." I'm pretty sure we've all heard that or seen that online. That, to me, is total BS. If they love to officiate a game for the "love of the game" I wonder how many would stay if there's a $5-$10 decline to pay? Just to prove a point, that's all.

33 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Should referees be paid better? Yes. However, that doesn't make them going to get "better."

If you train and pay them better, you should get better results.

Take this real world example comparison: 

Company A:  posts a job advertisement wanting a degree + 5 years experience, but having a pay range of $40k - $50k, along with a 1 week of OTJ training for systems/processes mastery.

Company B:   posts for the same type of job, with a few changes.  They want either a degree, or 5 years experience.  They have a pay range of $55k-$70k, and they have 1 week of classroom, followed by 3 weeks of OTJ training.

Which company do you feel will have more applicants?  Which company will have better prepared new hires (who will perform better)? 

Obviously company B is more invested and will get more openings filled with better results than company A.

How do you hold High School refs accountable in 2022?  Until the TSSAA makes changes, things will continue to get worse.

24 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

If you train and pay them better, you should get better results.

Take this real world example comparison: 

Company A:  posts a job advertisement wanting a degree + 5 years experience, but having a pay range of $40k - $50k, along with a 1 week of OTJ training for systems/processes mastery.

Company B:   posts for the same type of job, with a few changes.  They want either a degree, or 5 years experience.  They have a pay range of $55k-$70k, and they have 1 week of classroom, followed by 3 weeks of OTJ training.

Which company do you feel will have more applicants?  Which company will have better prepared new hires (who will perform better)? 

Obviously company B is more invested and will get more openings filled with better results than company A.

How do you hold High School refs accountable in 2022?  Until the TSSAA makes changes, things will continue to get worse.

West TN officials have been good this year for the most part. Where did your substate officials come from??