Anderson County Mavericks 2022

olhickory

Football Season, hurry up.  Again, there is a lot of excitement in the community  to see the 2022 version of the Mavericks.  I have been up the last few Saturdays to watch the 7v7 guys absolutely throw the ball at will the last few Saturdays.  Martinez is directing an older team of 7v7 , and incoming Freshman Stansberry is directing a young team and even getting reps with the older guys as well.  He has a cannon, and looks ready to play on Friday nights right now.  Martinez is recovered from a broken wrist and doesn't seem to miss a throw as I watched the last few weekends.  He hasn't had his three big targets in Vowell, West and Russell due to basketball, but young guys like B Miller, and Moog have been big targets for him in their absence.  Cody Miller looked good as well, and 2 time All State RB Gavin Noe have gained some good weight and look really good as well.  Phillips  and Braden were big contributors on Defense and will be back.   Davis and newcomer Clayton have grown, both look to be around 6'4,  they will be a welcome addition at the Y position as Shannon graduated. AD Terry tweeted that  the Mavs Code Blue 7v7 won a tourney in Kentucky last weekend.  Newcomers Hensley, Allen, Strickland, Small got a lot of reps in the secondary and will help with depth.   Coach G has a large  group of OL/DL guys as well.  They looked like they were tearing apart 50 or so pizzas the other day after a lift session, lol there was pizza boxes everywhere. They bring back three starters there as well, and seem to have depth to do what they want.  Moog and Noe in the backfield were hard to do anything with in the region last season, but the inability tp throw the football because on the injury to Martinez held the Mavs back a little last season.  The attention to detail with the OL this spring and summer maybe the difference for the Mavericks this season. We will see if this extra attention can keep Martinez up and throwing the ball all over the lot, which should give Moog and Noe the lanes they need to get vertical.  Both look like they weight 220 or so.  Kickers are all returning so that is positive as well,.  The schedule is the same as last season, except the Mavericks get 6 home games which is good as it is a tough place to get a win.  Home Schedule includes State Champion Powell, South Doyle, GIbbs, Rhea Co, Elizabethton, and Bearden.  Away games at Science Hill, Fulton, Carter, and Scott.  They have won their region 5 straight years, but run into Greeneville and recently Elizabethton in the second and third rounds.  Those are tough draws, but I think that is the way AC fans expect it,.  I expect this season to be the same, and the second -third round game at AC will be epic like they have been for so long.    I expect them to stay healthy and get better each week with this crazy good schedule.  This should help them be tough to beat in the playoffs.  Go Mavs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped by practice this week, counted 63 players out for spring ball.  Coach G had the offense moving using two groups against the defense.  I saw all the familiar faces  on the coaching staff with the exception of Coach Cross, who took a job in the business world.  We wish him the best.   Martinez was throwing the ball all over the field as usual, and had plenty of targets in Vowell, Braden, Phillips, West, Small  Russell, and Miller.  I did see Jermaine Allen out there on offense making a few catches as well.  Gavin Noe and Vowell picked up offers from Memphis this week, and Vowell picked up the Iowa offer as well.  Up front, AC looked as big as always, led by senior Mays, and juniors Bradshaw, Clayton, Howell, and Nelson.  Sophomore Murphy looked to be getting some reps with the 1s as well.  The LBs are the most impressive group with Davis, Meier and  junior Moog.  The secondary featured  Hensley and Small, who promises to make a big impact this fall.  The sophomore class is very good, with Cody Miller back with Wolfenbarger, Small, Cole and legacy player Strickland.  Strickland was electric with the ball in his hands last year as a freshman.  I look for him to have a breakout year this year as well.   The talent pool is DEEP at AC.  With over 60 out for spring, and 30plus incoming, look for the Mavs to dress around 90 again for the fall.  3 kickers, 1 in particular kicking the ball in the endzone from the 40, which is always a good sign.  

As far as AC athletics taking a dip, it hasn't happened in a while, and just from the limited amount that i hear at work, and asking around, they seem to be reloaded as they get one of the best in coming freshman groups including a freshman QB that everyone saw at Norris last season.  He has two or three receivers that were really good for Norris last season, as they won their conference again. I know folks around AC would like to see a dip as they probably get tired of 5 straight region championships, but the Mavs look poised to keep reloading.   I think they are 28-0 in region play the last 5 years.  I am hearing they will have an addition or two to the staff and they are really excited to get whoever it is.   

AC plays Powell, Science Hill, Rhea County and Elizabethton.   Not an easy schedule.    No idea what South Doyle has but they have not been a pushover the last few years.           All those aforementioned games are probably winnable but it's going to be a challenge.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, olhickory said:

Football Season, hurry up.  Again, there is a lot of excitement in the community  to see the 2022 version of the Mavericks.  I have been up the last few Saturdays to watch the 7v7 guys absolutely throw the ball at will the last few Saturdays.  Martinez is directing an older team of 7v7 , and incoming Freshman Stansberry is directing a young team and even getting reps with the older guys as well.  He has a cannon, and looks ready to play on Friday nights right now.  Martinez is recovered from a broken wrist and doesn't seem to miss a throw as I watched the last few weekends.  He hasn't had his three big targets in Vowell, West and Russell due to basketball, but young guys like B Miller, and Moog have been big targets for him in their absence.  Cody Miller looked good as well, and 2 time All State RB Gavin Noe have gained some good weight and look really good as well.  Phillips  and Braden were big contributors on Defense and will be back.   Davis and newcomer Clayton have grown, both look to be around 6'4,  they will be a welcome addition at the Y position as Shannon graduated. AD Terry tweeted that  the Mavs Code Blue 7v7 won a tourney in Kentucky last weekend.  Newcomers Hensley, Allen, Strickland, Small got a lot of reps in the secondary and will help with depth.   Coach G has a large  group of OL/DL guys as well.  They looked like they were tearing apart 50 or so pizzas the other day after a lift session, lol there was pizza boxes everywhere. They bring back three starters there as well, and seem to have depth to do what they want.  Moog and Noe in the backfield were hard to do anything with in the region last season, but the inability tp throw the football because on the injury to Martinez held the Mavs back a little last season.  The attention to detail with the OL this spring and summer maybe the difference for the Mavericks this season. We will see if this extra attention can keep Martinez up and throwing the ball all over the lot, which should give Moog and Noe the lanes they need to get vertical.  Both look like they weight 220 or so.  Kickers are all returning so that is positive as well,.  The schedule is the same as last season, except the Mavericks get 6 home games which is good as it is a tough place to get a win.  Home Schedule includes State Champion Powell, South Doyle, GIbbs, Rhea Co, Elizabethton, and Bearden.  Away games at Science Hill, Fulton, Carter, and Scott.  They have won their region 5 straight years, but run into Greeneville and recently Elizabethton in the second and third rounds.  Those are tough draws, but I think that is the way AC fans expect it,.  I expect this season to be the same, and the second -third round game at AC will be epic like they have been for so long.    I expect them to stay healthy and get better each week with this crazy good schedule.  This should help them be tough to beat in the playoffs.  Go Mavs

Sounding Good OlHickory. Can you determine how well the defense will execute? Against pass and against a mobile QB. I would think that has drastically improved as well. We had a great rush last year but it appeared to fall apart once QB got loose.

I don’t know a lot about Anderson Co. What I do know is that they immediately became relevant in 1993 when Coach Larry Kerr moved over from Knox Halls. Coach Monroe dreaded playing them that year, even with the great team that we had at Cleveland. In 1996, they beat us like a red-headed step child at their place in Round 3 to end our nation’s longest winning streak. Much respect for them. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, olhickory said:

I stopped by practice this week, counted 63 players out for spring ball.  Coach G had the offense moving using two groups against the defense.  I saw all the familiar faces  on the coaching staff with the exception of Coach Cross, who took a job in the business world.  We wish him the best.   Martinez was throwing the ball all over the field as usual, and had plenty of targets in Vowell, Braden, Phillips, West, Small  Russell, and Miller.  I did see Jermaine Allen out there on offense making a few catches as well.  Gavin Noe and Vowell picked up offers from Memphis this week, and Vowell picked up the Iowa offer as well.  Up front, AC looked as big as always, led by senior Mays, and juniors Bradshaw, Clayton, Howell, and Nelson.  Sophomore Murphy looked to be getting some reps with the 1s as well.  The LBs are the most impressive group with Davis, Meier and  junior Moog.  The secondary featured  Hensley and Small, who promises to make a big impact this fall.  The sophomore class is very good, with Cody Miller back with Wolfenbarger, Small, Cole and legacy player Strickland.  Strickland was electric with the ball in his hands last year as a freshman.  I look for him to have a breakout year this year as well.   The talent pool is DEEP at AC.  With over 60 out for spring, and 30plus incoming, look for the Mavs to dress around 90 again for the fall.  3 kickers, 1 in particular kicking the ball in the endzone from the 40, which is always a good sign.  

As far as AC athletics taking a dip, it hasn't happened in a while, and just from the limited amount that i hear at work, and asking around, they seem to be reloaded as they get one of the best in coming freshman groups including a freshman QB that everyone saw at Norris last season.  He has two or three receivers that were really good for Norris last season, as they won their conference again. I know folks around AC would like to see a dip as they probably get tired of 5 straight region championships, but the Mavs look poised to keep reloading.   I think they are 28-0 in region play the last 5 years.  I am hearing they will have an addition or two to the staff and they are really excited to get whoever it is.   

What positions will the new staff coach? Is it an old maverick coach leaving the scenes of a Knoxville private school?

Also, I heard through the grapevine of rumors about an out-of-state incident? Hopefully those are completely false. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, chs1984 said:

I don’t know a lot about Anderson Co. What I do know is that they immediately became relevant in 1993 when Coach Larry Kerr moved over from Knox Halls. Coach Monroe dreaded playing them that year, even with the great team that we had at Cleveland. In 1996, they beat us like a red-headed step child at their place in Round 3 to end our nation’s longest winning streak. Much respect for them. 

Great game Caldwell was QB now Coastal Carolina Head coach,  Gillum current head coach of Mavs at running back and Curtis La Rue speedster receiver and a Great head coach Kerr. This was a disaster for Cleveland with Nations longest winning streak. They were caught of guard and while the offense scored at will the Defense was one of the best the Mavs have ever put together. 3 and outs for Cleveland was killing them and then the inability to adjust to Kerr Caldwell Gillum and La Rue was an all time great Mavericks win. The Mavs went ahead and held it to send Cleveland home with the heads hanging low. Boy that game brings back memories!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, Mavericksinflight said:

Great game Caldwell was QB now Coastal Carolina Head coach,  Gillum current head coach of Mavs at running back and Curtis La Rue speedster receiver and a Great head coach Kerr. This was a disaster for Cleveland with Nations longest winning streak. They were caught of guard and while the offense scored at will the Defense was one of the best the Mavs have ever put together. 3 and outs for Cleveland was killing them and then the inability to adjust to Kerr Caldwell Gillum and La Rue was an all time great Mavericks win. The Mavs went ahead and held it to send Cleveland home with the heads hanging low. Boy that game brings back memories!!!

I’ll tell you a good story about that game. The week prior we were hosting Greenville in Round 2. About 5 minutes before kickoff Mrs. Jane Monroe, wife of Cleveland Head Coach Benny Monroe, who did Benny’s stats, looked around to make sure no one else could hear and leaned over to me and said the following: “Benny says that we don’t have anything to worry about tonight. But, he is certain that Anderson Co. is going to beat Shellbyville tonight (most bets were on Shellbyville) and THAT is where this thing (the winning streak) ends next week!” He proved prophetic.

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

I’ll tell you a good story about that game. The week prior we were hosting Greenville in Round 2. About 5 minutes before kickoff Mrs. Jane Monroe, wife of Cleveland Head Coach Benny Monroe, who did Benny’s stats, looked around to make sure no one else could hear and leaned over to me and said the following: “Benny says that we don’t have anything to worry about tonight. But, he is certain that Anderson Co. is going to beat Shellbyville tonight (most bets were on Shellbyville) and THAT is where this thing (the winning streak) ends next week!” He proved prophetic.

That is so funny and true Shelbyville was a big favorite. Shelbyville was always an hindrance to AC in those years but the Mavs took them out 35-14 that night.

Cleveland went on to knock out Greeneville 28-14. . The Cleveland Game was so hyped up at AC that that it would have been hard for any team to win that night it was too much excitement and as always that was the Mavs state championship. But that's the youth in all of us.