Knox Central OC Nathan Simbeck to Boyd Buchanan

Hartleyrick

22 hours ago, chs1984 said:

When we played Rankin’s ‘92 Riverdale team in the playoffs, they threw it a lot more than any Rankin team I saw in future years. Their passing attack was the difference in the outcome of the game. 

Even when a Rankin Team throws the ball it is 90% to a spot or 30+ yard post route. ALL Called plays....ZERO RPO..........

Sam Vaulton make a check down and threw a TD against AE. He got his butt chewed for not running the play as called from the sideline. Sam was a National Championship winning 7 on 7 QB with years of RPO coaching. Hence why he left Alcoa for CA.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Even when a Rankin Team throws the ball it is 90% to a spot or 30+ yard post route. ALL Called plays....ZERO RPO..........

Sam Vaulton make a check down and threw a TD against AE. He got his butt chewed for not running the play as called from the sideline. Sam was a National Championship winning 7 on 7 QB with years of RPO coaching. Hence why he left Alcoa for CA.

You make it sound like an RPO is rocket science... 

Even the most basic of spread offenses that you will see at the high school level will have 2 to 3 options of where to throw the ball on most every play. Most will actually have 6 options - the 4 receivers, the running back, and the QB running the ball.

No, it isn't rocket science... but it is a little more complex than to say that it is just throw the ball here or throw the ball there.

I highly doubt that Coach Rankin, or any coach for that matter, would "go off" on his QB for making a check down to one of the other receivers running a route in any particular play. He may point out that other options were open/more open and should have been where the ball should have been thrown.

1 hour ago, GoTigers0322 said:

Even the most basic of spread offenses that you will see at the high school level will have 2 to 3 options of where to throw the ball on most every play. Most will actually have 6 options - the 4 receivers, the running back, and the QB running the ball.

No, it isn't rocket science... but it is a little more complex than to say that it is just throw the ball here or throw the ball there.

I highly doubt that Coach Rankin, or any coach for that matter, would "go off" on his QB for making a check down to one of the other receivers running a route in any particular play. He may point out that other options were open/more open and should have been where the ball should have been thrown.

A 6 option RPO? You guys must be really smart

RPOs are not complex...

On 3/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, BruceColetrain said:

A 6 option RPO? You guys must be really smart

RPOs are not complex...

In all honesty, it sounds more complex than it is...

The first option is always to give the RB the ball on the run play.

Then if the read takes the run away, the QB then pulls the ball and transitions to his secondary read, which is typically a flat defender/outside linebacker. 

Reads then work out from inside out or low to high on which receiver to throw the ball to.

If it is a trips set where there are 3 receivers to that side, options 2, 3, and 4 are those 3 receivers. 

Option 5 is a checkdown to a crossing backside receiver on a slant or dig route.

Option 6 is for the QB to run the ball himself.

Rarely do you see an offense at the high school level of carrying it out past first 2 to 3 options. Most high school QBs will get the first read on the give/keep on the run play. Then their second read/option is the first receiver. After that, they typically tuck and run and never get to the rest of the options

• Like 1

Back to the original point, Rankin isn't going to completely change his offensive philosophy. His has worked pretty well for him over the years. It's not broken. It doesn't need to be fixed.  

The OC works for him. Not the other way around. 

Edited by HTV

20 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Not a lot of use for that guy. Five years ago he was hired as the head coach of Ocoee Middle school program. With less than a week before the first game he bailed on kids to go be a position coach at McMinn. Karma is coming for that guy. 

Yeah.  

Not too many people that I know in Fountain City are heartbroken that he's gone.  

• Like 2