So Softball season begins today...

sportsfan53ray

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, Indian said:

Flatford from Knoxville, #1 pitcher statewide. I'm wondering if Baylor can repeat with their ace the last few years not playing this spring. 

This was correct. Flatford had another strong year leading Farragut to back to back state championships. 

15 hours ago, apsugov7 said:

Ashtyn Danley of Huntland is Top 8 ranked Nationally 2023 And Addie Linton of Eagleville plus the young kid from Gordonsville threw harder than any division!

No doubt those two had great year going at it. Could be said the 3 best pitchers in the State are all lefties this year (Flatford, Danley, Linton). Hard to argue what those two in Linton and Danley bring to the circle, each different but can take over a game. 

Edited by JohnnyUtah

Hats off to those pitchers mentioned who helped their team win a state title this year but for the record, statistically there were several other pitchers who performed as good or better than them in all aspects (ERA, WHIP, SO, K/BB ratio, shutouts, win % ) that some didn't even get to state or just finished short of it that deserve to be mentioned.  

Here are the top 10 primary pitchers in the state for 2022 statistically:

1.  Smith from Nolensville 4A

2.  Nichols from Clarksville 4A (state runner up)

3.  Slaughter from Columbia Academy (state champ) II-A

4.  Baker from Bledsoe County 2A

5.  Abell from White County 3A

6.  McDaniel from Lexington 3A (state champ)

7.  Flatford from Farragut 4A (state champ)

8.  Asmondy from Springfield 4A

9.  Danley from Huntland 1A (state runner up)

10.  Keck from Gibbs 3A (state runner up)

Plumlee from Gordonsville and Linton from Eagleville were 11th and 24th respectively overall.

Edited by OleTimeyDad
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OleTimeyDad said:

Hats off to those pitchers mentioned who helped their team win a state title this year but for the record, statistically there were several other pitchers who performed as good or better than them in all aspects (ERA, WHIP, SO, K/BB ratio, shutouts, win % ) that some didn't even get to state or just finished short of it that deserve to be mentioned.  

Here are the top 10 primary pitchers in the state for 2022 statistically:

1.  Smith from Nolensville 4A

2.  Nichols from Clarksville 4A (state runner up)

3.  Slaughter from Columbia Academy (state champ) II-A

4.  Baker from Bledsoe County 2A

5.  Abell from White County 3A

6.  McDaniel from Lexington 3A (state champ)

7.  Flatford from Farragut 4A (state champ)

8.  Asmondy from Springfield 4A

9.  Danley from Huntland 1A (state runner up)

10.  Keck from Gibbs 3A (state runner up)

Plumlee from Gordonsville and Linton from Eagleville were 11th and 24th respectively overall.

Not taking anything away from Smith who had a fantastic year in regards to strikeouts (much like Katherine Carter last year at Spring Hill), but in High School especially when you have talent like the state has right now from SR to Freshman you need to be in the final day playing for it all. My personal opinion based on winning, strikeouts, career consistency and competition played. 

Flatford - lost 3 games her entire career per school twitter post. 24 innings, 40K at State only giving up 2 runs. 

Slaughter- 3 State Titles only playing 3 years due to covid

Danley (lost the war, but won more battles between Linton) - just a gamer

Linton - Will have a chance to win multiple titles 

McDaniel 

*Nichols- took a young team to state

** Berzon didn't play this year. Without her Baylor was solid, but took a drastic drop. 

Respectfully, I disagree.  These great pitchers can't do it all themselves, they have to have an offense and defense backing them up as well to really win it all.   You put Smith or Baker or Abell on any of the teams that made it to state, I guarantee you they bring home the title as well.  You put Flatford or Slaughter or Danley on the teams the other way around, the outcomes are more than likely the same.  They can't change who they've played for, so at the end of the day, if you are just judging "pitching", I don't think it's fair to say that you can't be ranked as high or considered the best of the best just because they didn't win it all at the end.  I would agree level of competition comes into play some but none of the top pitchers statistically played a multitude of cupcakes all season long.   The numbers tell the tale.

20 hours ago, OleTimeyDad said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  These great pitchers can't do it all themselves, they have to have an offense and defense backing them up as well to really win it all.   You put Smith or Baker or Abell on any of the teams that made it to state, I guarantee you they bring home the title as well.  You put Flatford or Slaughter or Danley on the teams the other way around, the outcomes are more than likely the same.  They can't change who they've played for, so at the end of the day, if you are just judging "pitching", I don't think it's fair to say that you can't be ranked as high or considered the best of the best just because they didn't win it all at the end.  I would agree level of competition comes into play some but none of the top pitchers statistically played a multitude of cupcakes all season long.   The numbers tell the tale.

Agree to disagree. And that's ok.

All had outstanding years. But the bigger the game, Flatford showed why she was given the nod by Indian before the season started.  

Edited by JohnnyUtah
correction

• 5 months later...
On 5/31/2022 at 6:01 PM, OleTimeyDad said:

Such quality answers will help a lot. There would be more of these. If I don't know something, then I use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for this. Or I'll ask a question on the forum first. But I don't always get what I need on the forum.

Thanks, I was just thinking about this

Edited by jacobdyerkoh