Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2022-23

mas1821

42 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

WV has to be the early favorite imo.  

I agree. Return 4 starters and the first two off the bench plus some good young talent that can come along and really contribute next season! They will miss Barr on the defensive end with her length but I think can move some around and use their freshman big as well to help fill that spot some

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

WV has to be the early favorite imo.  

Losing Barr is a big piece but I agree. From our area Huntingdon will be a lot better and more of a contender. GC has some talent that has to develop quick on the bench and in Jr High coming up. Going to have to work hard hitting weights and get faster and stronger and just better. Do think GC will be better by years end next year kinda like the 2020 team. See them kinda mixing in more zone next year with some new faces to be more competitive. Think the whole state tournament seen how zone affected a lot of teams at state. Zones are a problem to score on. Going to be a big challenge for GC replacing Madison, Ayden, Reagan and Haley.

Edited by pioneer42

9 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

I agree. Return 4 starters and the first two off the bench plus some good young talent that can come along and really contribute next season! They will miss Barr on the defensive end with her length but I think can move some around and use their freshman big as well to help fill that spot some

True. The 8th graders coming from the middle school is a good crew as well. This team that just won outside the seniors won the state championship when they was at the middle school. Also this years middle school team also went to state this year as well. So yes you are correct the core of the team will return. But I believe the overall reload is a bit of a better replacement than what the seniors was this year. 

6 hours ago, Kiddmaximus said:

True. The 8th graders coming from the middle school is a good crew as well. This team that just won outside the seniors won the state championship when they was at the middle school. Also this years middle school team also went to state this year as well. So yes you are correct the core of the team will return. But I believe the overall reload is a bit of a better replacement than what the seniors was this year. 

I agree with that as well. That’s one thing that Westview is blessed with is a good middle school program. That coach doesn’t get the credit she deserves! I’m not sure why she hasn’t made the move up to high school yet but it may be because she isn’t interested in moving up. The future is bright for Westview for sure

5 minutes ago, Vandychris said:

Gotta put Summertown in this mix. 4 returning starters including Karli Campbell. Gotta feel like WV and Summertown with a leg up on the competition in that region.

Karli is a beast I agree. Think Westview, GC, Summertown and Loretto all need girls to step up in the post. Especially GC. But I think all four will be good with Westview the favorite. Huntingdon with every one back. They are deep at post. Guards struggled at times with pressure last year, but seemed to get better as year went on. Will be interesting. 

12 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Karli is a beast I agree. Think Westview, GC, Summertown and Loretto all need girls to step up in the post. Especially GC. But I think all four will be good with Westview the favorite. Huntingdon with every one back. They are deep at post. Guards struggled at times with pressure last year, but seemed to get better as year went on. Will be interesting. 

Yes looks like Westview will be the favorite but I think Gibson Co, Huntingdon, Summertown and Loretto can all be that 2nd team to challenge Westview.  I think Huntingdon has the post play advantage on these teams and if the young guards improve and can take care of basketball, they will be really good.

14 hours ago, Vandychris said:

Gotta put Summertown in this mix. 4 returning starters including Karli Campbell. Gotta feel like WV and Summertown with a leg up on the competition in that region.

I think Summertown takes a step back next year.  Guard play will keep them competitive  in every game they play, but Burdette covered a lot of mistakes for them with her presence, rebounding and shot blocking. They were not deep this year, so will need some major development from bench players. The upside for Summertown is Loretto and GC also take a step back next year. 
All three will be good, but none of the three will be as good as they were this year.

4 hours ago, maddams said:

I think Summertown takes a step back next year.  Guard play will keep them competitive  in every game they play, but Burdette covered a lot of mistakes for them with her presence, rebounding and shot blocking. They were not deep this year, so will need some major development from bench players. The upside for Summertown is Loretto and GC also take a step back next year. 
All three will be good, but none of the three will be as good as they were this year.

6 hours ago, 1983 said:

Yes looks like Westview will be the favorite but I think Gibson Co, Huntingdon, Summertown and Loretto can all be that 2nd team to challenge Westview.  I think Huntingdon has the post play advantage on these teams and if the young guards improve and can take care of basketball, they will be really good.

As far as GC’s backups and Jr. High coming in, if they get in the gym early and often and work on their game outside of regular practices I think they can be good players. They have a group of players and will be interesting who makes it out of the pack. They will have to for GC to be in the mix. They need to hit the ground running and put in extra time for them to be good. Hitting weights and conditioning and extra drills to try and replicate which they won’t be able to but will help replicate something their bodies are not used to and that is the grind of a GC HS  basketball season. Coaches can only do so much. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 9:37 PM, Vandychris said:

WV & Summertown aren't in the same Region (think you're referring to substate).

I have a hard time seeing where Summertown will have a leg up on Loretto next year without Burdette.  Loretto has quite a bit of help coming up from 8th grade and will be much longer than Summertown.  Ally Weathers should also be a force next year.  

11 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

WV & Summertown aren't in the same Region (think you're referring to substate).

I have a hard time seeing where Summertown will have a leg up on Loretto next year without Burdette.  Loretto has quite a bit of help coming up from 8th grade and will be much longer than Summertown.  Ally Weathers should also be a force next year.  

I don’t know I think Summertown has the edge on Loretto next season.  You don’t lose a player like weathers without a pretty good drop off.  They will still be good but Not having a D-1 player in the lineup is a huge loss.  It will be the same for westview after next season when Jada graduates.