Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2022-23

mas1821

1 hour ago, UCSportsFan said:

Yeah that sounds about right. So did I understand correctly that after this year your area will be playing the Memphis schools in the substate?

Yep and it should be like that. We have been District 13 and 14 for 40 some odd years and have had to play 15 and 16 in substate. Well two years ago they gave Memphis 3 Districts, half of the teams forfeited and they gave us District 12 and have to play a Middle TN Region and sectional. Well now you have Gibson County, Westview, Huntingdon, Summertown and Loretto fighting for two spots. All of these teams have been to the Glass House pretty regular. Memphis has never took girl’s basketball very serious and have teams forfeit Region semi games. Now they got them in two Districts like they should have. Of course the boys fans won’t like it and some of the board members that wanted to avoid boys in Memphis won’t like it. But no way they should have had them in three Districts.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Yep and it should be like that. We have been District 13 and 14 for 40 some odd years and have had to play 15 and 16 in substate. Well two years ago they gave Memphis 3 Districts, half of the teams forfeited and they gave us District 12 and have to play a Middle TN Region and sectional. Well now you have Gibson County, Westview, Huntingdon, Summertown and Loretto fighting for two spots. All of these teams have been to the Glass House pretty regular. Memphis has never took girl’s basketball very serious and have teams forfeit Region semi games. Now they got them in two Districts like they should have. Of course the boys fans won’t like it and some of the board members that wanted to avoid boys in Memphis won’t like it. But no way they should have had them in three Districts.

Well said 

10 minutes ago, thetruth1 said:

From looking at the scores it seems Summertown had two excellent games in the Richland tournament.  I saw Richland earlier and I thought the game against Summertown would be a competitive game but that wasn’t the case at all

Summertown probably not that good and Richland probably not that bad but if you can’t handle Summertown pressure you gonna lose 

18 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Seen where Alcoa beat Gatlinburg-Pittman by 2 last night. Anybody there??

I mentioned in a different thread that, if I went to the game, I'd post something about it. I should have added, IF I COULD FIND SOME STATS. So far, there's none to be found on the 'Net.

G-P had the home court advantage with a loud student section and band. Even the guy who does the public address is very loud. It's a beautiful facility that I try to visit once or twice a year.

In last year's regional championship, G-P beat Alcoa, literally by an inch, when Karli Hayworth's three-point shot didn't make it past the front of the rim. Since Alcoa lost, they had to play McMinn Central and surprised everyone by winning that game. So, I did not expect Gatlinburg-Pittman to be as strong of a team as they turned out to be, especially after Alcoa just lost to Bearden by one point.

It was a good defensive game, with G-P pressing for most of it.

Although I couldn't find any stats, I will say that if anyone scored in double digits, it wouldn't have been by very many points. Maddie Newman is a great player, but she had it tough against junior post player Amelia Pfeiffer, who left the game with what looked like a knee injury, toward the end of the game. I'm praying it's not a serious one.

Edited by Americal198

3 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

2 bigguns Tuesday - Summertown bs Loretto & Gibson Co vs Huntingdon be interesting who shows up and who shows out 

Yep I seen some more good one’s throughout the state. What do they call it?? Super Tuesday?? Huntingdon is a super team. We will have our hands full as will Summertown going to The Barn. Season flying by. Bout to be over.

17 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Guess found out 

Well both GC and Summertown with good wins. GC and Huntingdon was a shootout. Both teams with lots of positives moving forward. Looking back I think both coaches will want to clean up Turnovers. Both teams shot the ball well. These two will be wars every time they meet. Congratulations to GC on a big win. Summertown seems to be playing well with a great win on the road against Loretto. We have watched these two play the last several years and it is always a war. Just like GC/Huntingdon this is just Round 1 and we know the fight will continue on down the road. 

Next week should be some key matchups with WV & Gibson County and then WV & Huntingdon. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it to one of these games. Should be the first round battle(s) of several before this season concludes. It'll be interesting to see if WV plays a little faster against Huntingdon next week, since in the games against taller teams this season...they tend to throw in the old Gibson County drop back press to a zone. After this week, we may or may not have a little more clarity with this District/Region.