Mocs Wrestling Disappoints

Ummmno

4 minutes ago, Biffmar4 said:

I think UTC is headed in the right direction.  It's difficult to compete with the bigger programs on so many levels, but if St. Peters can do it in Basketball, UTC can do it in wrestling.  I'm sure the mindset of the coaches is to perform, evaluate, refine, perform, evaluate, refine over and over until they put out a program that everyone on Coach T can be proud of.  

I'm sure the mindset of all d1 coaches is to perform to the highest standard but lets be clear here. The program isnt headed in the right direction. That isnt to say they wont in the future, but as of now, they're not headed in the right direction. 

St Peters did it in basketball, UTC did not do it in wrestling. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

I'm sure the mindset of all d1 coaches is to perform to the highest standard but lets be clear here. The program isnt headed in the right direction. That isnt to say they wont in the future, but as of now, they're not headed in the right direction. 

St Peters did it in basketball, UTC did not do it in wrestling. 

It is interesting that you say it isn't headed in the right direction.  Let's expand on that, or at least give you the opportunity to.

They didn't accomplish what I am willing to bet that they hoped to do this year... I am guessing they set goals of winning conference and having X qualifiers and Y AA's.  So fair and easy to evaluate performance for this year.

However, you stated that they aren't headed in the right direction.  That implies a trend.  How are you evaluating their direction?  What is the trend you are seeing that defines the direction they are headed?  Interested to see what you are feeling there are even better what you have looked at / analyzed to say it.

From my mind, I think we have to look at trend of performance since this coaching staff has taken over.  How have the relevant metrics trended?  Maybe the harder to measure question here is on the less tangible effects... what is the team culture like now, how are they on the academic side, etc.?  They should get a pass on first year or so as they establish culture, bring in recruits, clear those that don't fit, etc.  I always say most coaches need at least 4 years to evaluate... some can turn it around sooner but let them get a group they bring in and time to change existing culture. 

I am certainly not an apologist for the staff, etc. but I am interested to hear real, meaningful conversation from TN wrestling community on UTC's performance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ghouse said:

It is interesting that you say it isn't headed in the right direction.  Let's expand on that, or at least give you the opportunity to.

They didn't accomplish what I am willing to bet that they hoped to do this year... I am guessing they set goals of winning conference and having X qualifiers and Y AA's.  So fair and easy to evaluate performance for this year.

However, you stated that they aren't headed in the right direction.  That implies a trend.  How are you evaluating their direction?  What is the trend you are seeing that defines the direction they are headed?  Interested to see what you are feeling there are even better what you have looked at / analyzed to say it.

From my mind, I think we have to look at trend of performance since this coaching staff has taken over.  How have the relevant metrics trended?  Maybe the harder to measure question here is on the less tangible effects... what is the team culture like now, how are they on the academic side, etc.?  They should get a pass on first year or so as they establish culture, bring in recruits, clear those that don't fit, etc.  I always say most coaches need at least 4 years to evaluate... some can turn it around sooner but let them get a group they bring in and time to change existing culture. 

I am certainly not an apologist for the staff, etc. but I am interested to hear real, meaningful conversation from TN wrestling community on UTC's performance.

4th year in a row finishing 3rd in the SoCon tourney. Third year in a row (excluding the canceled year) finishing 56th at the Ncaa Tourney. In the three NCAA tourneys since Kyle has taken over our kids are a combined 4-24, and this is excluding 2020 where the NCAA, mercifully for us, canceled the tourney. 

We're not making any moves in the positive direction. 

• Upvote 1

IMO, for the UTC team to reach some level of success they must have the following:

1.  9.9 scholarships

2.  $100,000 head coach salary

3.  $50,000 assistant coach salary

4.  $35,000 assistant coach salary

5.  UTC must find a way to sign the best talent in Tennessee. So much of the best talent is not staying in state

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

IMO, for the UTC team to reach some level of success they must have the following:

1.  9.9 scholarships

2.  $100,000 head coach salary

3.  $50,000 assistant coach salary

4.  $35,000 assistant coach salary

5.  UTC must find a way to sign the best talent in Tennessee. So much of the best talent is not staying in state

The most reoccurring trend I’ve noticed is kids will commit to other major schools. Wrestle there for one year. Transfer to UTC. Wreslte there for one year, maybe two. Then leave the team. 

Or commit to UTC. Wrestle there for one year, maybe two. Then quit.

• Upvote 1

Just some perspective, pulled from recent article on Flo by Andrew Spey.  Unless the UTC coaches can pull some top talent from PA, I think they have some tough sledding.  

If you guys were coaches at UTC, what would you do to elevate the program?  What would you define as success?  You won’t be getting top PA talent, so would you recruit top talent in TN and try to manifest them into NCAA AAs knowing that if you find a diamond in the rough and  worked them for two years til they were ready to compete at the national level, they would transfer to a bigger school with a tougher room? 

We also have some great talent in TN rn whose home state is not TN. I think we are maturing as a state, but have a ways to go. Worthwhile journey though.  

”Next, everyone's favorite, National Qualifiers (NQs), All-Americans (AAs) and champs by Home State.”

State NQs AAs 1st
PA 45 12 1
IL 32 8  
NJ 30 7 1
OH 22 7  
MI 17 4 1
CA 17 4  
NY 15 4 1
MN 14 5 1
IA 13 1  
CO 11 4 1
IN 11 3 1