Mocs Wrestling Disappoints

Ummmno

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

WRESTLING: ROCKY JORDAN TO TENNESSEE CHATTANOOGA 

Andy Vance's picture
April 27, 2022 at 4:38pm 

One of Ohio State's legacies will finish his wrestling career at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga: Rocky Jordan announced his move via his Instagram Wednesday.

Jordan posted an overall record of 12-7 for Ohio State last season, and a career record at 49-26. The two-time NCAA qualifier was part of a multi-weight logjam last year with Ethan Smith and Kaleb Romero each moving up a class, leaving Jordan on the outside looking in as Gavin Hoffman manned the 197-pound spot down the stretch.

The St. Paris Graham standout was the third in a line of Jordan brothers to wrestle for Tom Ryan, following current assistant coach Bo Jordan and older brother Micah through the program. With Romero and Hoffman expected to man 184 and 197 again next year, Jordan looked like the odd man out once again.

Jordan's best year in scarlet and gray was his redshirt freshman campaign when he placed fifth at the Big Ten Championships and finished the season with a record of 29-9 with five major decisions and a team-high seven tech falls.

Prior to his arrival in Columbus, he was a three-time Division II Ohio high school state champion, reaching the finals all four of his high school season. He was undefeated as a junior and senior, goinga combined 80-0 over his final two years of scholastic competition.

It would be nice if UTC could somehow get David Taylor involved in the program since his parents now live in Chattanooga. Yes, he is still completely active in freestyle and such for team USA, but it would be nice if they could bring him in somehow just to maybe light a fire to the program.

• Upvote 1

Kyle and his staff's inability to keep the state's top recruits at home is a major red flag. Keeping the top TN kids in TN wouldn't solve all of their issues but it would be a move in the right direction. I get the sense that his struggles to keep these guys in state stem from a lack of effort.

Example: Baylor is less than a 10 min drive from campus, I wonder if he ever even attended one of their dual meets or called any of those guys? James Howard is right down the road at McCallie and you have the Yost connection... All that talent at Cleveland and Coach Knox is a UTC alumnus... You have the Uhorochuk brothers at Signal... You get the point...This is all talent that is literally right in your backyard. How are you not getting some of these kids? When you have a Mark Branch at Wyoming (over 1,000 miles away) who is showing guys like Harper and Dendy more interest than Kyle who is 10 minutes away, that's an issue. 

Then you don't even call the state's best wrestler, Hunter Mason or someone like Kodiak that's a 4xer and ranked in the top 20 nationally? If one goes with the line of thinking, "Well a Hunter Mason would never go to UTC, why waste the time trying to recruit him?" Not even trying to recruit your state's top prospect is essentially admitting we're no good, I've got no confidence in my ability to attract top talent, and we're content with that. Unbelievable! I would bet a lot of money that Hunter would have been Bono or Heath's first call. That in itself is a fireable offense for a D1 head coach. 

I wonder if he even thought to call Corday when he decommitted from Army? That was another potential score that was missed.

These in state guys are all quality students, too, that could likely receive some academic aid through the Hope Scholarship to help with the program's alleged lack of funding its full 9.9 allowable scholarships. Unacceptable to not put more effort into these guys.

Unfortunately, I struggle to find any reason to believe Ruschell will get this program to reach its potential. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

Kyle and his staff's inability to keep the state's top recruits at home is a major red flag. Keeping the top TN kids in TN wouldn't solve all of their issues but it would be a move in the right direction. I get the sense that his struggles to keep these guys in state stem from a lack of effort.

Example: Baylor is less than a 10 min drive from campus, I wonder if he ever even attended one of their dual meets or called any of those guys? James Howard is right down the road at McCallie and you have the Yost connection... All that talent at Cleveland and Coach Knox is a UTC alumnus... You have the Uhorochuk brothers at Signal... You get the point...This is all talent that is literally right in your backyard. How are you not getting some of these kids? When you have a Mark Branch at Wyoming (over 1,000 miles away) who is showing guys like Harper and Dendy more interest than Kyle who is 10 minutes away, that's an issue. 

Then you don't even call the state's best wrestler, Hunter Mason or someone like Kodiak that's a 4xer and ranked in the top 20 nationally? If one goes with the line of thinking, "Well a Hunter Mason would never go to UTC, why waste the time trying to recruit him?" Not even trying to recruit your state's top prospect is essentially admitting we're no good, I've got no confidence in my ability to attract top talent, and we're content with that. Unbelievable! I would bet a lot of money that Hunter would have been Bono or Heath's first call. That in itself is a fireable offense for a D1 head coach. 

I wonder if he even thought to call Corday when he decommitted from Army? That was another potential score that was missed.

These in state guys are all quality students, too, that could likely receive some academic aid through the Hope Scholarship to help with the program's alleged lack of funding its full 9.9 allowable scholarships. Unacceptable to not put more effort into these guys.

Unfortunately, I struggle to find any reason to believe Ruschell will get this program to reach its potential. 

Chatt Wrestling has been and will always be mediocre. 

We may sneak a few to the blood rounds at ncaa's but thats likely going to be about it. I don't think id throw all the blame on Kyle. You work with what you got. Sure he's gotta get some for not attempting to recruit anybody in state but its gotta be hard to believe in a program as a coaching staff when the university itself clearly doesn't care either. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ummmno said:

Chatt Wrestling has been and will always be mediocre. 

We may sneak a few to the blood rounds at ncaa's but thats likely going to be about it. I don't think id throw all the blame on Kyle. You work with what you got. Sure he's gotta get some for not attempting to recruit anybody in state but its gotta be hard to believe in a program as a coaching staff when the university itself clearly doesn't care either. 

I would argue that the Mocs aren't even mediocre right now. I wish they were LOL. This program is unfortunately one of the worst in the country right now. The results prove that. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jordan Leen. He has the coaching experience, too. He would be a homerun hire in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cowcatcher said:

I would argue that the Mocs aren't even mediocre right now. I wish they were LOL. This program is unfortunately one of the worst in the country right now. The results prove that. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jordan Leen. He has the coaching experience, too. He would be a homerun hire in my opinion. 

I feel confident that if UTC wanted to hire Jordan Leen they would have to show him the money.  He probably makes more money as an assistant coach than he would as the head coach at UTC.

Personally I am not convinced that UTC will ever be able to consistently sign the top D2 kids from Tennessee. Over the years those kids have shown a tendency to go to one of the top academic schools in the country or a top 25 wrestling program.  UTC must find a way to bring in some great workout partners for the team if they ever expect to consistently have All-Americans.  

I am afraid that if UTC is ever going to have a Top 25 program they must find lighting in a bottle with some young coach that never has any intention of leaving Chattanooga.  Much like The University of Tennessee did when they hired baseball coach Tony Vitello. 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1