Shot clock in Tennessee?

Patriots186

7 hours ago, BelmontRebel said:

It doesn't happen that often.  

So a ref is engaged in a play for 27 seconds and then he needs to remember to stop watching the ball handler and look up at a shot clock.  Ridiculous.  

Better than your suggestion - oh wait you didn’t make one - like lot of people you make I’ll shoot down 

On 3/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, pioneer42 said:

What I am talking about. Would probably be a hard thing to do. Hadn’t Westview already installed theirs?? Thought I seen them this year on each end. 

It is my understanding that ours is ready to go, if the State ever makes it a rule. Currently since we have an overhead scoreboard, it’s used for the period time. That’s my understanding. 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jaychapman said:

Better than your suggestion - oh wait you didn’t make one - like lot of people you make I’ll shoot down 

I was just responding to the post that said the ref needs to watch the clock when it got down to a few seconds and being sarcastic.  Thanks for your unnecessary reply.  

9 hours ago, crazzyness said:

There's no need for a shot clock. If a coach don't want a team to hold the ball, then he needs to pressure the ball. Then there will either be a turnover, or a defensive breakdown and an easy layu

Problem solved, let's move along. 

Yeah your right. Let’s just not have one in college and pro either. No need in it right?? 

7 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Yeah your right. Let’s just not have one in college and pro either. No need in it right?? 

Pro basketball is too far gone to fix. College didn't need it, other than to cater to the television networks. The collective bargaining agreement to televise games is the springboard that elevated college ball to the billion+ dollar amounts, and they didn't want Dean Smith to "ruin" the exciting aspect of the finish to the games. I liked all the sports way better before the marketing guru's figured out how to squeeze more cash out of sports and into their pockets. In my youth, I loved basketball and football at every level, and was a moderate baseball fan as well...as more of the population were drawn to sports, I have been disenfranchised with most of it, especially pro basketball (the actual rules of the game don't apply any more), and the shot clock is just part of commercialization of it. As crazzyness said, it's as simple as pressuring the ball in the purest form of the game...they have to come to the basket to score.

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Pro basketball is too far gone to fix. College didn't need it, other than to cater to the television networks. The collective bargaining agreement to televise games is the springboard that elevated college ball to the billion+ dollar amounts, and they didn't want Dean Smith to "ruin" the exciting aspect of the finish to the games. I liked all the sports way better before the marketing guru's figured out how to squeeze more cash out of sports and into their pockets. In my youth, I loved basketball and football at every level, and was a moderate baseball fan as well...as more of the population were drawn to sports, I have been disenfranchised with most of it, especially pro basketball (the actual rules of the game don't apply any more), and the shot clock is just part of commercialization of it. As crazzyness said, it's as simple as pressuring the ball in the purest form of the game...they have to come to the basket to score.

You got an opinion, I got an opinion and everyone else has an opinion. Just like the 4 classes. Memphis getting 3 Districts is a joke. They forfeit District and Region games and could care less. You got 3 teams in Districts and making Region Tournaments are not a challenge any more. Fans campaign for these changes to help their team and give their team a better chance. Well my team likes to play fast and it wouldn’t hurt my team in fact they would probably benefit from it, IMO. Same people that don’t want a shot clock that tell people to get out there and guard somebody are probably the same one’s that think the 3 classes is an unfair advantage. My advice to the one’s that wanted the four classes because their team was at an unfair advantage is to get out there and guard somebody. That saying works both ways. And no hard feelings because I respect your opinion even if we have different one’s.  

Edited by pioneer42

46 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

You got an opinion, I got an opinion and everyone else has an opinion. Just like the 4 classes. Memphis getting 3 Districts is a joke. They forfeit District and Region games and could care less. You got 3 teams in Districts and making Region Tournaments are not a challenge any more. Fans campaign for these changes to help their team and give their team a better chance. Well my team likes to play fast and it wouldn’t hurt my team in fact they would probably benefit from it, IMO. Same people that don’t want a shot clock that tell people to get out there and guard somebody are probably the same one’s that think the 3 classes is an unfair advantage. My advice to the one’s that wanted the four classes because their team was at an unfair advantage is to get out there and guard somebody. That saying works both ways. And no hard feelings because I respect your opinion even if we have different one’s.  

My team benefited this season from Memphis getting an "extra" district, and I hate it. We (and Riverside) weren't in the same class as the rest of the field at Murfreesboro, and it showed, but what goes around eventually comes around...Scotts Hill fielded state champion caliber teams frequently through the 90's and early 20's without getting there and we didn't complain, just gritted teeth and tried harder. The young ladies who took the floor at the Murphy Center from our district weren't at fault though, and it did my heart good to see them there...yes, Riverside too. Good discussion, but nothing to do with a shot clock...I also respect your opinion, but I think that mine is better on this subject. Shot clocks are for fans...designed to eliminate a strategic option that would allow a less talented but more disciplined team to exploit another's weakness. Designed to eliminate it not because it's unfair, but because it's boring to watch. One ball, two teams, one court...may the best team win in any fashion that they can. You also say that your team plays fast, and that a shot clock wouldn't have an effect on them, but I watched the point guard from York refuse to take less than a great scoring opportunity or hold the ball at state...the result was a more talented team (IMO) went home because they couldn't force York out of that game plan.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

My team benefited this season from Memphis getting an "extra" district, and I hate it. We (and Riverside) weren't in the same class as the rest of the field at Murfreesboro, and it showed, but what goes around eventually comes around...Scotts Hill fielded state champion caliber teams frequently through the 90's and early 20's without getting there and we didn't complain, just gritted teeth and tried harder. The young ladies who took the floor at the Murphy Center from our district weren't at fault though, and it did my heart good to see them there...yes, Riverside too. Good discussion, but nothing to do with a shot clock...I also respect your opinion, but I think that mine is better on this subject. Shot clocks are for fans...designed to eliminate a strategic option that would allow a less talented but more disciplined team to exploit another's weakness. Designed to eliminate it not because it's unfair, but because it's boring to watch. One ball, two teams, one court...may the best team win in any fashion that they can. You also say that your team plays fast, and that a shot clock wouldn't have an effect on them, but I watched the point guard from York refuse to take less than a great scoring opportunity or hold the ball at state...the result was a more talented team (IMO) went home because they couldn't force York out of that game plan.

York got the tech call and hit their two FT’s with 2 minutes left and put them up two and we had to foul because she was a great PG I agree. GC has done that  as well late in games so it is what it is. Just think it would benefit GC more than it would hurt them. Don’t think they will do it any time soon though because of the expense of it and just getting the clocks in all schools. Do think the GC/York game was the first I have ever seen a tech that late in the game on a bench player with an official right in front of the girl they called it on and he not call the tech and an official across the way calls it. And yes the same contact on York’s end that was a foul wasn’t the same on our end in the 4th quarter. Officials called the game different in the 4th quarter. They weren’t consistent on both ends. York had one bucket in the 4th quarter and the rest were FT’s. But she was a great PG I agree and they  made the best of the situation and won the game. Scott’s Hill played with a lot of heart and I agree have had some good teams in the past as well as Decatur County. They were pretty good teams this year and did what they had to do to get there. As for GC we just have to learn to keep battling and train for war to get there and hope for the best. All we can do.

Edited by pioneer42

• 2 weeks later...