Shot clock in Tennessee?

Patriots186

5 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Put one clock at each end have one of the refs designated to watch when gets close ( don’t have instant replay anyway ) I think the other two can handle the last few seconds by themselves / use to only had two refs anyway - not perfect just another thing disgruntled fans can holler at - probably 80% of teams wouldn’t  get close to time running out 

I think it can be done as well and don’t have a problem with it. In fact I would like it. Just have to figure it out. 

9 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

GC & Summertown for sure won’t need it

Campbell would probably be fine with a 10 second shot clock. Summertown been racking up state championships in softball, baseball, golf, volleyball…maybe tennis?? How many states y’all won in the the last 10 years?? Y’all won last 4 years in golf right?? Campbell kids tearing it up. 

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Campbell would probably be fine with a 10 second shot clock. Summertown been racking up state championships in softball, baseball, golf, volleyball…maybe tennis?? How many states y’all won in the the last 10 years?? Y’all won last 4 years in golf right?? Campbell kids tearing it up. 

2 - volleyball 2 - softball -4 golf -3 tennis - basketball has eluded us settled for silver - bunch of good ole country girls that try hard to keep that tradition going cause once you lose it hard to get it back 

8 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

2 - volleyball 2 - softball -4 golf -3 tennis - basketball has eluded us settled for silver - bunch of good ole country girls that try hard to keep that tradition going cause once you lose it hard to get it back 

Got two in baseball too in last several years. 13 state titles is a bunch. We had some great teams in late 80’s, 90’s and early to mid-2000’s that didn’t win it. It takes a good coach to keep the culture going and making sure feeder programs are in tact. Also takes kids that put in lots of extra time working on their game under as much duress as possible.  

from a fan who watches a ton of high school basketball in west tn I saw a couple of games this season where a shot clock could have changed the game. but the other 95% of the games I watched the shot clock would have been a non factor. I am speaking boys basketball only. girls shot clock would have huge impact as a lot of the girls games i watched i saw a ton of good sets and a lot of patience on offense. Boys, the average possession time rarely if ever exceeding 40 seconds. A waste of money, time and resources that would only impact a very small percentage of games 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

from a fan who watches a ton of high school basketball in west tn I saw a couple of games this season where a shot clock could have changed the game. but the other 95% of the games I watched the shot clock would have been a non factor. I am speaking boys basketball only. girls shot clock would have huge impact as a lot of the girls games i watched i saw a ton of good sets and a lot of patience on offense. Boys, the average possession time rarely if ever exceeding 40 seconds. A waste of money, time and resources that would only impact a very small percentage of games 

If waste why does all other level of basketball have them 

15 hours ago, UTRok said:

That has already been done. They are leaving it up to each state.

Shot Clock Guidelines - 2021

By NFHS on September 23, 2021basketball Print

In accordance with Rule 2-14, each state association may adopt a procedure by which it implements a 35-second shot clock effective with the 2022-23 season. The following are the guidelines to be implemented for those states choosing to adopt the shot clock.

And yet precedent has been set over and over by the TSSAA. They will not implement until NFHS passes it across the board.  Leaving it up to each state does not do that.

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

If waste why does all other level of basketball have them 

Let me answer a question with a question.

There are approximately 340 high school basketball programs in the state not including private. How many of those schools would benefit from a shot clock? 

I'm not against adding a shot clock. I just don't see the purpose. I would not make a change like this that would have zero impact on 95% of the games being played.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Let me answer a question with a question.

There are approximately 340 high school basketball programs in the state not including private. How many of those schools would benefit from a shot clock? 

I'm not against adding a shot clock. I just don't see the purpose. I would not make a change like this that would have zero impact on 95% of the games being played.  

You remember Dean Smith’s four corner offense-  had no shot clock in college ball before then and he was only ONE doing it - so 99% of the others it wouldn’t affect - I’m like you I can take it or leave it I just think games would be more enjoyable to watch from fan standpoint ( I didn’t like to watch  the 4 corner offense either ) 

56 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

You remember Dean Smith’s four corner offense-  had no shot clock in college ball before then and he was only ONE doing it - so 99% of the others it wouldn’t affect - I’m like you I can take it or leave it I just think games would be more enjoyable to watch from fan standpoint ( I didn’t like to watch  the 4 corner offense either ) 

I hate to see teams pull the ball man. especially early in a game. I know people say strategy, give yourself a chance to win, gotta do what you gotta do, etc... and i get that. but it is not fun for anybody. Kids don't want to do that either. 40 second clock shot really won't change anything though. Most of the time when a team pulls the ball to try and stall the game the other team is so much better and more athletic they just go put pressure on them and turn them over. 

2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I hate to see teams pull the ball man. especially early in a game. I know people say strategy, give yourself a chance to win, gotta do what you gotta do, etc... and i get that. but it is not fun for anybody. Kids don't want to do that either. 40 second clock shot really won't change anything though. Most of the time when a team pulls the ball to try and stall the game the other team is so much better and more athletic they just go put pressure on them and turn them over. 

Worse case scenario it wouldn’t bother me if they did it at state since all the equipment is there. I wouldn’t have a problem with it at all. They make all these other rules with 4 classes and 3 teams in Districts. Why not that?? Think it would make the game more exciting and it would stop the four corner stall in the 4th quarter that we see most of the quarter.