NIL Millionaires walking the halls of high schools..

BarneySox2007

13 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

No doubt this is the new world. I'm just to old school. Sure programs have been cheating forever and very obvious who the worst ones have been. Maybe it's my age but I hate nothing worse than some ole cocky kid with his group of hanger own's worshiping every move they make. I'm so sick of looking at the sports on my phone and seeing another story about Arch Manning's last bowel movement and how it could determine where he lands. Personally hope he lands at Texas and ends up in Sarkisian's firing in two years when all the fat money cats pull the rug out from under him.

I'm old school, too, Barney.  We grew up in a different time and I don't understand much of today's world.  But I'm not "old fool" enough to believe that I, or anybody else, can snap my fingers and we revert back to the "old school" days.  It's just not going to happen. 

So either we adapt to today's world of high school and college athletics, or we completely turn it off and tune it out and find something else to fill our time.  Whining and moaning about how the old school ways were better, worse, or indifferent doesn't do anything other than put one in the old fool category.  

• Like 1

So totally fine for HC's to make a 7 figure salary (soon to be 8) while the players (whom are the reason why they can make such a figure) receive practically nothing?

Football is the only sport where until now you couldn't make any kind of money the moment you graduate HS. A few kids get a 7 figure NIL deal and some of you turn into drama queens

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

So totally fine for HC's to make a 7 figure salary (soon to be 8) while the players (whom are the reason why they can make such a figure) receive practically nothing?

Football is the only sport where until now you couldn't make any kind of money the moment you graduate HS. A few kids get a 7 figure NIL deal and some of you turn into drama queens

Never been fine with what these coaches are making period. Alabama started it with Saban paying 5 million and now everyone makes near that. That translates to the sudden expensive cost of a ticket that a lot of people can't afford. Now let's spend millions more to the players and your paying for that also which you may not realize or even stopped to think about. I don't have to have some high profile athlete to convince me to buy a certain product or never will but these companies that pay these millions out for these endorsements come out of your pocket even if your not a fan of the sport. I work insurance claims my friend for a living and understand fully who the worst of the worst companies are and believe me your not in good hands and you'll think mayhem when that little duck or lizard sends out it's adjuster to sodomize you for filling a claim. Nick Saban should be a shame for promoting a cheap product to the uneducated. Bottom line is the easy way to make money this younger generation has became use to will all disappear right in front of their eye's being replaced by A.I. and that is when you'll see college football fall on it's face because the people paying the bills won't have a job to pay for it.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, MidTennFootball said:

Totally agree MTF. Some folks can't handle change!

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Could this NIL thing possibly get some of these crazy daddy's to pull junior out of the last few games that have committed to a school to avoid any possible career ending injury just as the college players are skipping bowl games now. 

There's an imaginary line already there. You have to play to be recognized, and the more potential people see, the bigger the payoff...once a certain plane is achieved, the risk could outweigh the gain to continue to play "for nothing".

Short answer is you'd better not bet against it.

This is my first post on this subject and I know just about NOTHING about it. I haven't followed college football since Tee Higgins left Clemson a year early. I am a high school sports fan and Cincinnati Bengal fan, Of course the Braves but that is off the topic.

It does not bother me that college guys get paid. I am about to buy a UT-Chattanooga, $ 38.00, # 1 Kenneth Jackson jersey. I would like for Oak Ridge's Jackson to get some of the money but I don't know if he will.

Well, I am not trying to convince people one way or the other so I will stop here. Have a great season and enjoy your team's performance.

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

There's an imaginary line already there. You have to play to be recognized, and the more potential people see, the bigger the payoff...once a certain plane is achieved, the risk could outweigh the gain to continue to play "for nothing".

Short answer is you'd better not bet against it.

I agree 100%. Makes you wonder just how far this cancer is going to spread. 

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I agree 100%. Makes you wonder just how far this cancer is going to spread. 

High school is/was the last untarnished (by money) institution of sports in this country...it's a shame, but we're watching the ruination of pure athletic competition just for the sake of fun and achievement. It's been a slow process, but it's been coming for over a generation with the recruitment of kids by college athletic departments, and by the showcasing of skills from parents, coaches, AAU, travel teams, prep schools, and more recently third party "agents" who specialize in highlight video advertisement of kids' potential. The NIL situation has accelerated the process tenfold, but it's here, and will stay. NCAA really dropped the ball by not benefiting the players whatsoever who built the brand, and were the foundation of their billion dollar industry. A simple arrangement where players were compensated fairly for their time and effort would have held off the individualization of "getting paid".

• Upvote 1