Dyer Co. High School (Newbern, TN)
Dyersburg High School (Dyersburg, TN)
Brighton High School (Brighton, TN)
Covington High School (Covington, TN)
Haywood High School (Brownsville, TN)
Munford High School (Munford, TN)
Ripley High School (Ripley, TN)
Edited by WestTNHoopsFan

• WestTNHoopsFan changed the title to Way too early Region 7 3A Favorites for 2022/2023
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Who you got?

Dyer Co. High School (Newbern, TN)
Dyersburg High School (Dyersburg, TN)
Brighton High School (Brighton, TN)
Covington High School (Covington, TN)
Haywood High School (Brownsville, TN)
Munford High School (Munford, TN)
Ripley High School (Ripley, TN)

Haywood will be tough this year returning all starters. They have a deep bench also.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

who else in this region? Ripley? Dyer County? Dyersburg? Covington? 

Dyer Co will be tough this year with the eligibility of Jalen Brown (A Dburg Transfer). They will have a sure fire one/two punch with him and Taylor. Not sure what else they have. Dburg lost two of their top 5  players to graduation but do return a lot of talent. Coaching is just suspect in my opinion so I don't trust them.

4 hours ago, Dash said:

Dyer Co will be tough this year with the eligibility of Jalen Brown (A Dburg Transfer). They will have a sure fire one/two punch with him and Taylor. Not sure what else they have. Dburg lost two of their top 5  players to graduation but do return a lot of talent. Coaching is just suspect in my opinion so I don't trust them.

Didn’t DC lose 3 starters? 

17 hours ago, Dash said:

Coaching at Dyersburg suspect? I don't know about that. They win 20 games a year most years. What more can you ask for out of a coach? Especially at what appears to be a football school. And, the smallest school in their classification. 

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Coaching at Dyersburg suspect? I don't know about that. They win 20 games a year most years. What more can you ask for out of a coach? Especially at what appears to be a football school. And, the smallest school in their classification. 

Won 20 games a few times in the regular season but what have they done in the post season. Always seem to come up short in the district and regionals. Teams can load up on inferior talent in the regular season and win some games but when it's crunch time and playing against equal or better talent they always come up short. I remember back 4 or 5 years ago when Dburg had the best team they have had talent wise in years and was playing Fayette Ware in regional semis @ South Gibson. Got up by like 6 on FW in the 3rd quarter and the coach had them pulling the ball out trying to stall the ball. Team turned it over 3 or 4 times in a row and completely took the steam out of them. They ended up losing the game in double or triple OT. The coach there does that ALOT!! Won't let the kids just play sometimes. I feel like a good coach knows his team and should give them the freedom to just play sometimes. Doesn't happen here. He overcoaches way to much and when a coach does that the kids are like robots out there. Dburg is a football school, but the basketball teams get plenty of support. 

13 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Didn’t DC lose 3 starters? 

I believe so, but Brown would have started and been arguably their best player last year. He will make a huge impact, but like I said I don't know about their others. They will have 2 of the top players in District 13, so it will be all about their supporting cast as to how dangerous they will be.

1 hour ago, Dash said:

Won 20 games a few times in the regular season but what have they done in the post season. Always seem to come up short in the district and regionals. Teams can load up on inferior talent in the regular season and win some games but when it's crunch time and playing against equal or better talent they always come up short. I remember back 4 or 5 years ago when Dburg had the best team they have had talent wise in years and was playing Fayette Ware in regional semis @ South Gibson. Got up by like 6 on FW in the 3rd quarter and the coach had them pulling the ball out trying to stall the ball. Team turned it over 3 or 4 times in a row and completely took the steam out of them. They ended up losing the game in double or triple OT. The coach there does that ALOT!! Won't let the kids just play sometimes. I feel like a good coach knows his team and should give them the freedom to just play sometimes. Doesn't happen here. He overcoaches way to much and when a coach does that the kids are like robots out there. Dburg is a football school, but the basketball teams get plenty of support. 

2022 - lost region qtr to Ripley who went to a sectional game.

2021 - lost region semi to South Side who went to state championship

2020 - Lost region semi to South Side who went undefeated and would have won state championship if not for Covid

Not sure what you are talking about! Because what you are saying don't make sense

Coach is winning a ton of games and being put out in the post season by one of the best teams in the state.

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

2022 - lost region qtr to Ripley who went to a sectional game.

2021 - lost region semi to South Side who went to state championship

2020 - Lost region semi to South Side who went undefeated and would have won state championship if not for Covid

Not sure what you are talking about! Because what you are saying don't make sense

Coach is winning a ton of games and being put out in the post season by one of the best teams in the state.

OK... You have your opinion and I have mine. Have you come to watch any of dburgs games and if so how many? You went back 3 years and this coach has probably been there for a dozen or more years. If the fan base is ok with winning 18 to 20 games a year and never winning the district championship and never making it to a sectional then fine. My personal expectations are a little higher than that. Most if not all the teams around that we are mentioning at some point has broke through to atleast play in sub state ( Haywood, SS, NS, Liberty, Crockett, Ripley, Covington, South Gibson, Humboldt, Trenton, Dyer Co, Lake Co, Martin WV, etc...) and Dburg has had same level of talent as most of these teams in many years and never made it past the regional semis. I'm stating facts as you are as well, so if Dburg administration is ok with never atleast making it to sub state then I love it.