Sectional Process

901Hoops850

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

District tournaments are not even required now. Each district decides how to come up with two teams for the region tournament. They can vote to just send the top two regular season teams if they want to. Some let the regular season winner get an automatic bid to the region. Some don't. No requirement to play a tournament until the region. They could always just eliminate the district tournament altogether. How many of you would cry then?

I'd be good with it either way (not that my opinion matters), because you either put more emphasis on the regular season or who's playing best at tourney time. Scotts Hill won the whole thing in '16... finished 4'th in district, second in region, and first in state. Can't argue that they didn't "deserve" it, because they beat the #1 ranked team all season twice and the defending state champs in the tournament. I wouldn't have griped at all if the top two district regular season teams had advanced without a tournament though, because they earned those spots all season.

• 3 weeks later...

Given the size of districts now with 4 classes, I wish they'd just play an 8 team double elimination region tournament (top 4 from each district advance) and the winner of of that goes to state. It's still not 2 of 3, but it would be a lot better than what we have now. The regional/sectional week is one of the dumbest formats in sports in the US.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:43 AM, 901Hoops850 said:

It is a shame that the TSSAA did not adopt the revisions to the sectional round. A single game of that magnitude ending a season should have been immediately changed. baseball is not like football, basketball, and soccer. A dominant pitcher is more valuable than the best player in the other sports. A pitcher has the ball is their hands at least half of the game. No other sport can argue that. Why should a champion in baseball be handled the same way?

For example, Brighton and Houston met in the sectional last year. Houston had the better team. Had they played 10 times, using 10 different pitchers, Houston would have won 8 or 9. Brighting threw a pitcher that Houston could not touch. Brighton won the game, advanced to state and lost their first two games. There is not telling how Houston would have faired at state, but had Houston and Brighton played a Best of 3, Houston would not have lost twice. 

Basketball, football, and soccer have a good system in place. A dominant player in these sports is not as valuable to the team as a dominant pitcher is in baseball. The system should have been changed when it was discussed. Why was it tabled?

I do agree with what you're saying. The TSSAA is so addicted to "money", that would be a fantastic idea to have a 3-game series to see who gets to the "state". Baseball IS so much different than all other sports as you pointed out and the TSSAA needs to get on bound with the rest of the country. We pay $250/game to the TSSAA to live stream our games. It'll be $300 at the state. So the series would be a great money maker for the TSSAA and fans would love it too!