Spring Practice

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:18 PM, FBfan26 said:

TN ain’t on the track train like most southern states but I must say it’s starting to get better.

Most of the NFL HOF players were 2 and 3 sport athletes.  I have been told by several former players, that when Carlton Flatt coached Brentwood Academy he made the football players run track that were not playing baseball.  My father who was a former coach once told me that no ever got someone pregnant or broke into someone’s home while they were in a smelly gym or on the practice field.  The point being that being multi sport athletes make them better athletes and more well rounded people.  

Edited by cbg

17 hours ago, cbg said:

Is Spring practice really necessary?  Would the athletes not accomplish just as much by lifting and running track

I have no problem with spring practice, it’s a good time to teach fundamentals and work with marginal kids that you don’t have time to do in August. What I’m not a fan of is spring games/scrimmages. Putting in game plans for a meaningless game takes away from the things I mentioned earlier. 

On 5/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, cbg said:

Most of the NFL HOF players were 2 and 3 sport athletes.  I have been told by several former players, that when Carlton Flatt coached Brentwood Academy he made the football players run track that were not playing baseball.  My father who was a former coach once told me that no ever got someone pregnant or broke into someone’s home while they were in a smelly gym or on the practice field.  The point being that being multi sport athletes make them better athletes and more well rounded people.  

Same thing happens at PC especially with the skills. Big guys can choose between the field or wrestling which some choose baseball. They try to keep the kids busy. It took some years but our kids started seeing the benefits of running track. 

• Like 1