Pitch Count/Forfeit

901Hoops850

10 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

I saw Science Hill posted something on Twitter. Did TSSAA not get involved?

Apparently you can submit an inaccurate pitch count to the state, and as long as it's signed by a coach or whatever, it's completely kosher. Absolutely blows my mind. 

Edited by crazzyness

5 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Apparently you can submit an inaccurate pitch count to the state, and as long as it's signed by a coach or whatever, it's completely kosher. Absolutely blows my mind. 

That's the weakness of TSSAA. They have a form signed by the coach, and apparently there's an easy avenue to find out if it's accurate or not, yet they will not investigate. There's multiple examples of this sort of thing, and TSSAA is consistent in the way they handle it...they will not expend one ounce of energy to investigate for themselves to see if their policy has been violated.

On 5/22/2022 at 12:08 AM, tradertwo said:

That's the weakness of TSSAA. They have a form signed by the coach, and apparently there's an easy avenue to find out if it's accurate or not, yet they will not investigate. There's multiple examples of this sort of thing, and TSSAA is consistent in the way they handle it...they will not expend one ounce of energy to investigate for themselves to see if their policy has been violated.

The biggest issue I see is that the other coach who was needed to sign was at that point eliminated. He no longer had any skin the game. The form could have had a big turd flipping him off drawn on it, and he wouldn't have cared, cause he was done. This is all ridiculous.

Edited by crazzyness

3 hours ago, crazzyness said:

The biggest issue I see is that the other coach who was needed to sign was at that point eliminated. He no longer had any skin the game. The form could of had a big turd flipping him of drawn on it, and he wouldn't have cared, cause he was done. This is all ridiculous.

The way I see it, is if TSSAA charges it's member schools a fee to join the association and is allowed to adopt their own rules to govern, they should take responsibility to investigate potential violations. Not saying that they have a task force to review every game, but if accusations are delivered to them with a reasonable explanation of where/how to discover the truth, the situation should be reviewed and addressed. It seems as the only infractions or violations that ever draw a reprimand are hand delivered with all the evidence in a neat little package, wrapped in a bow by someone else.

• Upvote 1

Especially a game of this magnitude, where a team advances to the state tournament. The problem i have with it, the situation with Collierville came up after they lost a game. And the issue was brought up over a JV pitcher, who played a small part in beating them. 

The Science Hill issue is way bigger because it was brought to light days leading up to the Powell game. It was almost like everyone in east TN knew Powell was going to throw the kid. So Powell had time to cover their tracks. TSSAA did nothing?

Houston plays Powell tomorrow, at least they won't have to face this stud, right? His 4th day of rest is Tuesday. How many pitches did he throw against SH?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

Especially a game of this magnitude, where a team advances to the state tournament. The problem i have with it, the situation with Collierville came up after they lost a game. And the issue was brought up over a JV pitcher, who played a small part in beating them. 

The Science Hill issue is way bigger because it was brought to light days leading up to the Powell game. It was almost like everyone in east TN knew Powell was going to throw the kid. So Powell had time to cover their tracks. TSSAA did nothing?

Houston plays Powell tomorrow, at least they won't have to face this stud, right? His 4th day of rest is Tuesday. How many pitches did he throw against SH?

He threw 100 pitches against Science Hill so would need three days rest, he will be available against Houston on Tuesday if that the route Powell wants to go.

The biggest issue is a coach signing off on 105 pitches compared to 110 that Bearden's Video showed he threw and wouldn't have been available against Science Hill.  The TSSAA has no back bone with this comment "

“We go by the form that was signed by both coaches (Powell and Bearden) that has him at 105,” TSSAA assistant executive director Matthew Gillespie said. “You get into, ‘this GameChanger had this many,’ and maybe another GameChanger had this many, and video showed this many … that’s why we go by the form signed by both coaches.”  Like coaches have never lied before and having video evidence means nothing.  This was brought to light before the game happened on Friday

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/pitch-count-controversy-potentially-hovers-over-sectional-contest/article_6503f802-d7d1-11ec-8588-0392e6ac7c73.html

1 hour ago, 901Hoops850 said:

21 minutes ago, Swipes said:

He threw 100 pitches against Science Hill so would need three days rest, he will be available against Houston on Tuesday if that the route Powell wants to go.

The biggest issue is a coach signing off on 105 pitches compared to 110 that Bearden's Video showed he threw and wouldn't have been available against Science Hill.  The TSSAA has no back bone with this comment "

“We go by the form that was signed by both coaches (Powell and Bearden) that has him at 105,” TSSAA assistant executive director Matthew Gillespie said. “You get into, ‘this GameChanger had this many,’ and maybe another GameChanger had this many, and video showed this many … that’s why we go by the form signed by both coaches.”  Like coaches have never lied before and having video evidence means nothing.  This was brought to light before the game happened on Friday

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/pitch-count-controversy-potentially-hovers-over-sectional-contest/article_6503f802-d7d1-11ec-8588-0392e6ac7c73.html

If all the TSSAA does is rely on two coaches signatures of pitch counts and they don’t check, opens the door for lots of corruption. Sad day in TN sports when the governing body makes a rule and won’t enforce it. Same with the kids swapping schools and house A and house B. I’m sure there is tons of broken rules going on now that never comes to light. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

If all the TSSAA does is rely on two coaches signatures of pitch counts and they don’t check, opens the door for lots of corruption. Sad day in TN sports when the governing body makes a rule and won’t enforce it. Same with the kids swapping schools and house A and house B. I’m sure there is tons of broken rules going on now that never comes to light. 

Per the assistant executive director thats exactly what they they do.  Kid could have thrown 150 pitches and if both coaches signed off on say 100 pitches the TSSAA doesn't care and goes with the 100.  Why be part of an organization that doesn't even enforce their own rules?

Sets a bad precedence. Video evidence is overlooked. It will only make cheating more rampant. If paperwork can be fudged, it will happen again. Houston at least saved face and owned up to the oversight. It was a mistake, and they owned it, despite giving up the district championship to Collierville. Houston earned the win, but got called out on a pitch count.

Powell chose a different route. Karma is a mf'er

17 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Per the assistant executive director thats exactly what they they do.  Kid could have thrown 150 pitches and if both coaches signed off on say 100 pitches the TSSAA doesn't care and goes with the 100.  Why be part of an organization that doesn't even enforce their own rules?

15 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

Sets a bad precedence. Video evidence is overlooked. It will only make cheating more rampant. If paperwork can be fudged, it will happen again. Houston at least saved face and owned up to the oversight. It was a mistake, and they owned it, despite giving up the district championship to Collierville. Houston earned the win, but got called out on a pitch count.

Powell chose a different route. Karma is a mf'er

Yeah the Bearden coach just got beat and eliminated last thing on his mind is how many pitches the guy threw especially if it could throw a bunch in his game. Sad they make that gospel when there is video evidence that says otherwise.  Sad deal here. If I am Science Hill I would definitely be mad and look at options above TSSAA if there are any.

• Upvote 1