Summer Camps

maddams

I rode over to Wayne County to watch some basketball today. Got a look at several different teams. Gonna go back tomorrow and watch some more hopefully.

Summertown struggled at times today but they were missing their PG. Heard she was gone for a golf match. Hard to tell much about them with her missing. 

Bolivar was awful and I’ve never seen a coach complain about officiating that much during a summer camp. It was ridiculous. Summer officiating is always questionable.

USJ has some good pieces. Ayers is legit. They could be a pretty good team by the time season gets here.

Scotts Hill and Decatur Riverside are very average. 

Gleason is way down. Looks like a rebuild for them.

Creek Wood is good. They’ve two really good players and the others just play their roles. Their game with South Gibson tonight was fun to watch. Creek Wood led by 7 with 5:00 to play. South Gibson took the lead with 2:00 to play before Creek Wood got a couple big buckets to win by 4.

South Gibson is going to be tough. They gave Creek Wood a heck of a game despite shooting the ball pretty poorly from the outside. If South Gibson can shoot it better, they could be a handful. They defend well and play hard.

Briarcrest was good as well. Couple of good post players and a quick PG. 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, maddams said:

I rode over to Wayne County to watch some basketball today. Got a look at several different teams. Gonna go back tomorrow and watch some more hopefully.

Summertown struggled at times today but they were missing their PG. Heard she was gone for a golf match. Hard to tell much about them with her missing. 

Bolivar was awful and I’ve never seen a coach complain about officiating that much during a summer camp. It was ridiculous. Summer officiating is always questionable.

USJ has some good pieces. Ayers is legit. They could be a pretty good team by the time season gets here.

Scotts Hill and Decatur Riverside are very average. 

Gleason is way down. Looks like a rebuild for them.

Creek Wood is good. They’ve two really good players and the others just play their roles. Their game with South Gibson tonight was fun to watch. Creek Wood led by 7 with 5:00 to play. South Gibson took the lead with 2:00 to play before Creek Wood got a couple big buckets to win by 4.

South Gibson is going to be tough. They gave Creek Wood a heck of a game despite shooting the ball pretty poorly from the outside. If South Gibson can shoot it better, they could be a handful. They defend well and play hard.

Briarcrest was good as well. Couple of good post players and a quick PG. 

3 hours ago, dmm88 said:

Creek Wood is gonna be a state championship contender no doubt about it. Their PG is special and the other kid #31 is pretty good too. They should have a chance to win a gold ball.

Creekwood has a lot of talent I agree. South Gibson will be really competitive as well especially if they can get some good post play in the half court. 

Went back on Tuesday and watched some more games.

Creek Wood and South Gibson played again with South Gibson winning by 6. If those two played 10 times, I think they’d split 5-5. Creek Wood’s best two players are really good but there’s not much after that. I don’t know if they were missing players, but they only played 6 girls in both games I watched. And number 6 only played about 2 minutes. @pioneer42 is right about South Gibson lacking post play but they got in the paint a lot with their guards, especially #2. She was really athletic.

USJ has a chance to be solid. They played hard, crashed the boards and shot the 3 pretty well. Ayers definitely drives the train but there are pieces that could help her.

22 hours ago, maddams said:

Went back on Tuesday and watched some more games.

Creek Wood and South Gibson played again with South Gibson winning by 6. If those two played 10 times, I think they’d split 5-5. Creek Wood’s best two players are really good but there’s not much after that. I don’t know if they were missing players, but they only played 6 girls in both games I watched. And number 6 only played about 2 minutes. @pioneer42 is right about South Gibson lacking post play but they got in the paint a lot with their guards, especially #2. She was really athletic.

USJ has a chance to be solid. They played hard, crashed the boards and shot the 3 pretty well. Ayers definitely drives the train but there are pieces that could help her.

South Side will be hard for South Gibson so I could see them going to Creekwood for sub-state, South Side is really good. USJ will be good with the 8th grader playing HS. She is some kind of talented. Webb School is so talented it will be tough to win state but they will be tough for sure. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

South Side will be hard for South Gibson so I could see them going to Creekwood for sub-state, South Side is really good. USJ will be good with the 8th grader playing HS. She is some kind of talented. Webb School is so talented it will be tough to win state but they will be tough for sure. 

I know GC usually plays South Side in the summer. Have you guys seen them yet?

40 minutes ago, maddams said:

I know GC usually plays South Side in the summer. Have you guys seen them yet?

They beat us by 4 Tuesday. It was a war. We are playing lots of players now trying to figure things out. We actually played pretty well against them and could have won. South Side is really good. They beat Bartlett who is loaded with serious talent. 

Edited by pioneer42

saw coffee county play this week and my lady rebels will have a tough time again this upcoming season have not seen Warren County or the eaglettes play.  did witness coffee beating Tullahoma by 30 points and was not impressed with the new hires one I recognized from Columbia who did not have a great record.  hoping We get to play the wild kittens I do think that is a win 

has anyone seen warren county at camp?

Warren Co is currently 9-1 in camps from MTSU and Lebanon so far. They have beaten Pickett Co, Farragut, Rockvale, Page, Beech, Westmoreland, Forrest, Greeneville, and Summitt. Their only loss was to Blackman 42-41 at MTSU. They play at Lady Vols team camp in Knoxville then 4 days at MTSU to finish Summer ball.  

11 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

I heard Trenton girls won the tournament in Dexter, MO. That's huge for them.

Any more updates or reviews from different camps?

There were 3 Divisions. I was there. Trenton won a Division, Gibson County JV won a Division and Gibson County Varsity got knocked out in the semis in their Division by Little Rock Central.,who was a 6 A powerhouse. We lost by 6 and actually led by 2 with 5 minutes left. Incarnate Word won our Division and might have been the best HS basketball team I have ever seen. Good showings by us and Peabody both. Lots of big time competition there. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

NG will be just fine this year! Takes a minute to knock the rust off…The team has great chemistry and each one compliment the other. They are all coachable and improved every game, that is what is important! Winning is great and all, but improvement now is what this time is for. 4 of the starters have ran the court together for a few years and are doing great, I saw areas that they were all working at getting better! You have Sanders that is a play maker and lock down defense, Buchanans speed and shooting ability has been underrated, Gaby’s versatility to work the whole court is hard to find, Wagners slick, quick offense and Millers ability to shut the paint down and strength on the boards leaves this team with great potential! They are trusting their sophomore center, Miller to fill some big shoes, she looked strong all week playing both, JV and varsity. Trust is hard to build and they have that component. One thing is for sure, they know how to fight through adversity and that will make any team stronger!